Plantar Fasciitis!? Any Cures?

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
Autoprax said:
Have you done soft tissue work on the lower leg?
No lower leg soft tissue work yet...just wall stretches, towel stretches, and golf ball rolls. Did get a splint/boot today that I'm supposed to wear at night when sleeping...stretches the fascia or something? Kind of funky/bulky...will wear it though. Have a follow up with the Podiatrist in a few weeks too. Looks like no miracle cure for this...have to be patient and work at it. Will mention iontophoresis (electrical current stimulation), soft tissue work, and acupuncture to Podiatrist when I see again too as other options...thanks for the suggestions! Will do whatever it takes to get it better!

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Take magnesium too. Latest research suggests the most absorbed form is milk of magnesia added to carbonated water.

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
Update...have kind of flaked on the stretches/exercises, but got a cortisone shot from Podiatrist...Plantar Fasciitis is MUCH better! Have orthotic flip flops now and arch supports in shoes which help a lot. Also sleep at night in a "Plantar Fasciitis Splint". Looks like a ski boot...pretty bulky and cumbersome (could barely sleep the first night in it) but am used to it now. Still take it off at around 5am though when I wake up with my foot in awkward position that feels about to cramp...to get a few more hours of sleep without it. Seems to really help though. Another Podiatrist visit tomorrow...not sure if I need another cortisone shot (he said 3 maximum), but doing all I can and is getting better!

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
I used to give steroid shots for that with mixed success. I'd agree 3 is pushing it as it could risk more harm than good after a few shots. The steroids can actually lead to tissue loss and/or weakening of the tissues. Get one of those bumpy foot roller thingies for when you're just sitting around. Feels good, is good, real good...

https://www.google.com/search?q=foot+roller&oq=foot+roller&aqs=chrome..69i57.3622j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aktJ5qGrYo

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
Nothing like a fluffy tennis ball to roll one's foot on. Or a dryer ball. Or a dedicated foot roller for those wishing to splurge. I choose a nightly foot rub with some massage cream to pamper the puddies prior to plopping on a puffy pillow.

Reactions: Mr Doof