Planning two weeks thru Oregon and Cali in May

Apr 30, 2022
Planning a two week surf trip with a side order of mountain biking, driving down from the BC interior mid May. I'd consider myself an intermediate surfer.

I've spent some time on the Washington coast and went as far south as Oswald state park in Oregon. I have an idea of places I'd like to visit and may go as far south as Santa Barbara if there is still west swell by then.

For allocating time though, is there anywhere on the coastal road you'd recommend spending more than a day or two? Places you really love for surf or maybe mountain biking... or places that are overrated and worth skipping?

Thanks

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1. Jetties are your friends, but am sure you know this already. Sometimes near various creeks and sea stacks can be fun, but all the great spots are well known.

2. Went mtb-ing with Josh, John, and whatshisname in Reedsport hills when in college. Forest service roads/logging roads to trails during the week for the win, but am sure this sort of stuff is already well known to you. Would guess there are actual mtb trails now.

3. Can't think of overrated spots (except on weekends when numbers change the equations).

4. Good luck, be sure to come back and brag.

Apr 30, 2022
Why is that? Not enough swell usually? Too much wind? I can mountain bike most of the year around where I live so surfing is more the priority.

Would September be a better idea?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Doof
Apr 30, 2022
In terms of May vs Sept, you're talking about the whole west coast from Washington to Cali? Or more so central California?

On Vancouver island May and Sept are usually pretty similar for surf conditions. I also read Santa Barbara needs west swell.

ULUSURFER

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 2, 2007
Australia
Visit site
In terms of May vs Sept, you're talking about the whole west coast from Washington to Cali? Or more so central California?

On Vancouver island May and Sept are usually pretty similar for surf conditions. I also read Santa Barbara needs west swell.
The entire west coast basically sucks in May. It’s windy, water is freezing from upwelling, and there is not much swell.

The fall and winter is far better and September is a prime month for west coast surfing.

Apr 30, 2022
Cool. Is there a "point of no return" on the coast, where it's worth going to if I've already driven so far south?

Basically I can take take my time throughout Washington and Oregon then head back. Or try to hustle quicker for central cali... something like that?

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
May is onshore time, it's usually blown out in just about all parts of California. Keep your surf expectations low and you'll have a great trip!

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
May/June can be two of my favorite months round here. Off course it can suck at any time including September, but nothing like March typically does.