Plan B for stripped FCS grub screw head

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Head of the grub screw stripped. Tried the super glue method to no avail. Has that ever worked? Anyhow, what's the next step? Try to drill it with a small bit or get some kind of screw extractor?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The head of the screw stripped or the threading in the box?

The threads stripped on my future box once. Tried a bunch of methods like heating the plastic and JB weld. None worked. Bought a grub screw the next size up and forcefully put it in which threaded the plastic in the process. That worked. Still holding a year later.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
The head of the screw stripped or the threading in the box?

The threads stripped on my future box once. Tried a bunch of methods like heating the plastic and JB weld. None worked. Bought a grub screw the next size up and forcefully put it in which threaded the plastic in the process. That worked. Still holding a year later.
Screw head stripped not the box.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I think you get a screw head extractor bit. I've got one of these:

Which comes with 1 custom FCS Ezi Out bit for stripped screws.

Haven't used it but perhaps you can find just that sort of bit somewhere.

Reactions: need 4 speed

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
If it can hold a cracked engine block at pressure...it can do ANYTHING
It worked for a broken hinge on a door for a pretty good time frame with heavy traffic. Two kinds sold in tube: one with metal.and epoxy and other just epoxy. The epoxy one works great for ding repair while on vacation or in a pinch. Much better then suncure because only one step no sandiing if you form it right and smooth and remove extra before it dries.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Ended up getting a #8/#10 screw extractor from Home Depot. Drilled the grub screw a little with a 3/32 bit until the extractor could get deep enough to grab the Screw. I’d use this as a last resort because of the risk of damaging the box from drilling the screw. I would have used a little smaller bit, but my drill would not hold anything smaller. Never tried JB Weld or anything else to glue the hex wrench in.

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
Ended up getting a #8/#10 screw extractor from Home Depot. Drilled the grub screw a little with a 3/32 bit until the extractor could get deep enough to grab the Screw. I’d use this as a last resort because of the risk of damaging the box from drilling the screw. I would have used a little smaller bit, but my drill would not hold anything smaller. Never tried JB Weld or anything else to glue the hex wrench in.
So is it out?

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I had a couple of secondhand boards that had badly speed Fut and FCS grubs. Very rounded so no luck with extractors.

I put a small Dremel bit against them and ran it at high speed. The friction caused the plastic to melt and I pulled the fin out then popped the grub out into the box. One or two of them didn't require filling and redrilling of the hole, but a couple did,I think I used epoxy putty.