Pipe lifeguard gives haole kooks a beat it order

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Second dude thinks he's going to be the next Who is JOB or Gravy. Just needed some clips for his Insta.

Back in the 80s and 90s we had one designated surfing beach bordered on both sides by rock jetties and at high tide it went through the pilings of the boardwalk on the inside except for a small patch of sand at the south end. The city put local surfers specifically on that beach as lifeguards rather than the inland pool swimmer lifeguards they'd put at many of the others. The surfing beach guards and one legend in particular would throw out anyone he they suspected of being a kook usually before they stepped foot in the water on any day with solid surf. Do something stupid in the water and they'd tell the person to leave. Those days are over. Can't do that anymore. Someone might get their feelings hurt. Better to let there be mayhem in the water or if the surf gets really good, keep the surfers out of the water from 10-6 while the guards are on duty.

Much respect to the North Shore guards. They do it right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redeyes

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
As an ex longtime Guard, the LG was 100% in the right, could have been a bit nicer about it. Then again could not imagine the stress of working NS in the winter, so he gets a pass for being a bit of a dick.

Reactions: Boneroni

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Lifeguards are understaffed right now, lots of people out sick with COVID. And it happened right when the contest was on and the swell got big. So yeah the lifeguards are a little stressed, and if you don’t listen to them are bound to get eggy.
Do they serve up some bangers or bacon with those eggies?

(frying pan guy) (facelick guy)

if so, STOCKED!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Boneroni

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I spoke with some long time Hawaii guards and they said the lifeguard was unprofessional. Danny Kim (the standup boogie guy from the 90s) had a post on his insta saying it shouldn't be handled that way. (he's a longtime C&C guard). I've witnessed people get sounded by guards and it usually has the opposite of the intended effect.

That being said, we all have bad days and I can understand why the guard wasn't happy.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I bet the lifeguard wouldn’t have acted that way if then two dudes were Hawaiian and playing around

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I bet the lifeguard wouldn’t have acted that way if then two dudes were Hawaiian and playing around
mmmmmmmmm? I dunno. It would certainly be a stressing moment or two in trying to pull a 250# bruddah out of the water let alone, trying to get him onto a Bullyboard & jetski with Pipeline going off .... in shallow or in the channel area.

• Love
Reactions: bluemarlin04

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
mmmmmmmmm? I dunno. It would certainly be a stressing moment or two in trying to pull a 250# bruddah out of the water let alone, trying to get him onto a Bullyboard & jetski with Pipeline going off .... in shallow or in the channel area.
Well I guess I meant the dude prob would not have been lipping like that.

Everyone got bad days though. So The dude shouldn’t be judged just for this

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I spoke with some long time Hawaii guards and they said the lifeguard was unprofessional. Danny Kim (the standup boogie guy from the 90s) had a post on his insta saying it shouldn't be handled that way. (he's a longtime C&C guard).
It’s not standup to armchair quarterback on social media. He should’ve said nothing or, “DAS RIGHT!” That was a deserved chewing.
I've witnessed people get sounded by guards and it usually has the opposite of the intended effect.
nowadays you have to save the public from themselves while dealing with their narcissism (feelings). It’s a huge time-waster. It would be better if we all grew up.
[quot
That being said, we all have bad days and I can understand why the guard wasn't happy.
[/QUOTE]
Young men make the worst victims because of their foamies, egos, and sometimes beer muscles.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
I spoke with some long time Hawaii guards and they said the lifeguard was unprofessional. Danny Kim (the standup boogie guy from the 90s) had a post on his insta saying it shouldn't be handled that way. (he's a longtime C&C guard). I've witnessed people get sounded by guards and it usually has the opposite of the intended effect.

If I'm following the dialogue correctly, these guys had already been told by another LG not to paddle out. If you've already been warned once and you disregarded the person who is responsible for your safety, it's naturally going the change the approach from the LG.
If that LG has to affect a rescue on those guys and increase his exposure to life threatening conditions because of their stupidity, he's justified in being terse. If for no other reason than to get their attention and encourage them to grasp the seriousness of the situation.

McHatin

Nep status
Apr 11, 2010
I think the video started AFTER the guard had already warned the two guys multiple times.

Reactions: PJ