Phatcruiser? (RIP)

scooch

Nep status
Jun 14, 2013
The cross stepped fs carve just rules! Wish I wouldve sessioned with him at some point.

Tanner

Phil Edwards status
Jul 30, 2003
Point Loma
Visit site
The memorial skate session on Tuesday was super rad, and Tanner Jr. and I attended. Tanner Jr. always referred to ER as 'The guy that can do 100 360's without stopping', because ER was one of those old school dudes that would lock it in and start spinning and all the groms in the skatepark would stop in their tracks and stare.

On Wednesday, family and friends hosted a Celebration of Life and Paddle Out at Tourmaline. The turnout was huge, as ER was the kind of guy that had a huge reach. A few of his childhood friends took the mic and spoke of growing up in PB in the 70's, during the age of Dogtown, the blossoming skate scene, and how ER was the top grom, in the hood.

A close friend told the story of a few weeks ago about ER being on a road trip with his son and making it a point to skate a famous ditch in Albuquerque while passing through. ER told the friend that it was on, and the friend drove 1,000 miles to meet him there to skate the ditch that was on ER's 'bucket list'. ER's son dropped them at the top and met them at the bottom, over a mile a way. The friend said ER was so stoked that he got to skate this ditch that he was 'glowing' and as they climbed into the car to leave, ER looked at him and said 'Let's do one more run', so they did it again. Sadly, it was the last time ER skated, but he went out on top.

Afterwards, many of us suited up, grabbed our boards and paddled out to remember ER, while watching a beautiful sunset. Another friend paddled ER's Frye out and put it in the middle of the circle and we all put flowers on it, saying 'goodbye', one last time. VERY, VERY moving.

The waves were complete sh!thouse, so we all pretty much paddled in. I caught one little peeler that kind of fizzled out, but paddled back out, just to watch the sunset and think about ER. The man touched many, many people, including myself.

Sure enough, as I sat there thinking about him, this little stomach high wedging left popped up, out of nowhere, so I spun and went, and it ran all the way down the beach. I couldn't stop smiling, and thanked my friend for sending me that one.

I'm gonna miss ya, man.

Shred eternally, ER!