Peru in May

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
I have the first two weeks of May off and kinda have it in my mind to head to Peru, though I'm open to other suggestions for that time frame. Any tips, places to see/surf/eat at is appreciated.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Punta Hermosa.
K43 South Ruta Panamerica South.
The land of perfect lefts is stacked with rights.

Accomodations: Pico Alro surf camp. Oscar da man.

obslop

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Feb 4, 2002
san diego, CA
if you get a swell big enough for pico alto to break, head to chicama (more west in the swell, the better). when that swell drops, head to pacasmayo. a fishier board is best for chicama.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
hanger18 said:
Im heading down April 27-May 5th - were heading up to Trujillo and Chicama/Pacasmayo
the "surfing resort" at Huanchaco is geared toward intermediates and beginners.

Pacasmayo ALWAYS breaks and is ALWAYS offshore (HUH?).

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I liked the ceviche, fruit is good, went whitewater rafting one day and that was fun but it was a longer trip.

Pico Alto camp a hell of a deal, or was imho. Non stopper from Miami, an hour down the road, lots of spots, not expensive, no A/C needed - not hot at night.

My first trip was amazing, second was very crowded. Some crowd recs:

Plan on walking to the beach in the dark and sitting up on your board out the back the instant it's light enough to maybe see. Pick your yawn patrol spot first day. If you're a goofy, this will probably be Senoritas. Regular, it will probably be La Isla, Caballeros, or the reef around from La Isla. I'd say get a dozen set wave runners bagged and tagged before breakfast to start the day off right.

If you are over the crowds at those waves, my go-tos were the beachbreaks just North of town, but kind of small and closed out, or Punta Rocas. Punta Rocas is a spread out, open playing field, magnety, sort of open water wave, rights and lefts. It gets crowded kind of but holds the crowd and you can get yours more easily than the aggrofest at the tighter takeoff spot points. Everyone seems to favor the rights off the near edge of the reef. Lots of fun guns and people terrified of duck diving. I think the best waves are the slightly inside ones that peel the other way across the playing field. Take a left or two when you first get out to clear yourself of the flotilla on the near right, then get some, either direction.

If the camp people tell you they want to check some other spot in town, especially on a weekday, give it a look. There is a left reef a little south of town that was just like my favorite reef in Florida, but the one time I caught it the aggro was 0. But good lord the keyhole was narrow.

I've heard Santa Cruz surfers say there are lots of fun waves in Santa Cruz, but the points suffer from cutback-itis. This can be kind of true of quite a few of the B waves in Punta Hermosa.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
PASurfCamp is indeed a special place.
RIP Oscar (sr.) who started it.

They DO like Senoritas and FYI that spot is considered a national treasure by locales peso.
If you didn't get Caballeros good go back til you do.