Peristent cough

bvendley

OTF status
Jul 18, 2018
I'm no doctor but every time I've had a heavy cough that wouldn't quit I pull out the nebulizer. ($30-50 on amazon)
In 2021 I had a terrible cough that wouldn't quit for months. 3 days of nebulizer (saline 2x3 times a day) really turned things around.
If you want to kick it up a notch you can also add "food grade" hydrogen peroxide but be mindful about the potency (3% is about right) and make sure it's "food grade".
Plenty of info on the web if you're curious.
Good luck!

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
My cough is almost gone. Just a couple of jags the last two days. What's left is fatigue. Stiff, sore, tired. I worked out yesterday and it was not good. There's waves but I'm going to have to give it a pass. Pretty sure it wouldn't go well. But whining aside, things are moving in the right direction. I think the cough had gone into bronchitis and the antibiotics helped.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
This flu FUCKING SUCKS

Still running fevers and the surf right now? Not a chance for me. F*CK THIS

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This flu FUCKING SUCKS

Still running fevers and the surf right now? Not a chance for me. F*CK THIS
When I was teaching the highlight of my year were the three weeks of winter break, especially when they coincided with swell (which they usually did). One year, the week before break, some yungguns, leashless, on old school longboards shoulder hopped me and both fell. As I was navigating my way past the mayhem one of the boards popped out of the white wash and came right at my head, D fin first. I was able to block it from striking my head, but in the process I caught the trailing edge of the fin with my pinky, cut to the bone, severed nerve, 14 stitches. I was dry docked the whole vacation. I feel your pain.

• Love
Reactions: sh3

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I’m going to lose my mind if I have to do another round of this.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Got a Z pack yesterday. Still coughed all night. I figure it'll let up soon? I'm so fucking over this sh!t. Sorry to hear what you're selling, RG. Get well bud!

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Took me about 12 hours to start feeling better.

Still not right. Every time I start moving around I get headaches and chills accompanied by fatigue.

Last edited:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Not saying anyone has diphtheria or anything, but the tales of persistent coughing reminds me of the time our CEO had it.

Kept coming into to work, coughing in his office all day.

Finally goes in for dr appointment, gets diagnosed, and the whole office is alerted. A few go get boosters, and I think a few other actually come down with it...they were all older than 55 if I am remembering right..

Eventually he comes back to work 3 weeks later 25 lbs thinner. He had it the worst mainly because he didn't go in for medical attention, though to be fair, what non-medical person ever thinks of diphtheria beyond new parents?

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: john4surf

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Day 9.

I feel the wrath of my youth catching up to me as I lay sweating under sheets, the day wasting away. Why hath God forsaken me? When will I finally break the shackles of this influenza's coil and reign glorious havoc upon the surf line-ups of the world?

Also, fuck this flu. I had to cancel our once-in-a-lifetime ski trip to Japan on January 3. #WPP #FWP #FTW

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Love ya, RG.

Day 10: Went back to the ER. I have pneumonia courtesy of the flu. Hard core antibiotics now start.

WTF? I'm usually the very picture of a healthy man. I run a gym. I exercise multiple times a week, run marathons, train big names. I'm not some joe-blow who isn't taking care of himself. I'm f*cking pissed.

Influenza A sucks.

• Sad
Reactions: Mr Doof and Chocki

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Influenza A sucks.
That‘s what the wife tested positive for. She came down with it first. Presumably it’s what I have. She’s going into week 4 I think? Time is blurring. She is still coughing. I’m not coughing anymore. For now. I still have no energy. The idea of surfing has little to no appeal. I don’t feel that bad anymore. Just blah. Easy with the pneumonia. I lost a friend to that stuff a year or so ago.

Reactions: sh3

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Wife is still coughing. I am not coughing, but now I seem to have some intestinal thing going on? I'm really sick of being sick. I suspect the stomach thing is a result of multiple courses of antibiotics I've been bombarded with.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
I’m still coughing, but not so much that it’s stopping me from doing anything

sh3, you missing that Japan ski trip still has me super bummed
are you able to reschedule?

sharky, sick of being sick is what I’m hearing all over
hang in there
im glad your wife isnt still working in a hospital bringing illnesses home and having the stress of that making recovery harder