Peristent cough

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Anyone got?

I got it last Monday been coughing for the last 8 days.

It's not covid or the flu.

a real ass kicker.
Just before Covid (December 2020) my daughter caught a cough and then a week later I caught it from her. For both of us it lasted over a month. It sucked bigly. I still had it when I "injured" my back and it hurt like hell when I coughed. When Covid came out we wondered if we had already had it? But that was the only symptom. No loss of smell or taste. No head or body aches. No fevers.Just a persistant dry cough. I have not been sick with anything since (knock on woodjoints). Zero. Not even a cold or sniffles. I probably shouldn't have said this. Now I'll probably get sick.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Mine lasted a couple of months
after 2 months, the doc prescribed a cough med, benzonotate or something like that
and a steroid
i misread the dosage on the steroids, and took WAY more than I was supposed to
needed an additional prescription to ween off
I’m not sure it helped, but a few weeks later, only a very slight cough

doctor said there’s some sort of new trend where this type of thing lasts a couple of months

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yes. Me plus wife, since the Saturday before last.

Today has been the best day yet - no coughing until tonight.

Not COVID, not flu either.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Possibly RSV. My whole family had it last year around this time. Coughed for 6 weeks, and it exacerbated my asthma. Didn't really have any other symptoms.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I've had Covid twice and both times I had/have a persistent dry cough that lasted a couple weeks. Had Covid for a couple of days right after Thanksgiving this year and still have that dry cough urge. Its like the tissue where the tonsils throat and wind pipe all come together is ever so slightly irritated creating a tickling sensation and an urge to cough. Mucinex throat spay works wonders for this. sh!t tastes terrible but it works.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Both my wife and I are sick. Nasty cough. Yesterday the wife walked into the room and fell into the stairs. Gone. Got her to the couch and she started breathing weird and seizing. Called 911. They took her to the hospital. Tested her for every virus known to man. Flu. She had been pushing fluids to the point where she had a sodium imbalance. Hit her with an IV and sent her home. But we are both coughing hard. I'm getting some codeine and some tamiflu. I'm spiking brief fevers as high as 102-103.

When I plunked her down on the couch and called 911, she was gone. The lights were on but nobody was home. She has no memory of about five minutes. I thought it was a stroke/seizure. Nursey screwed up her hydration.

Merry f'ing Christmas.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Scary @Sharky. Glad it was an easy fix in the end.

The cough has gripped our house.
It was a cough for the kids, then we all had Noro virus after Thanksgiving.
Since then the cough has hit my wife and I for the last 2 weeks and my just under 2 year old son is now up coughing at night.

For us, it's like a light phlegmy feeling that needs to be coughed out. So not exactly dry. For me, I had the rattly chest when exhaling too.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Both my wife and I are sick. Nasty cough. Yesterday the wife walked into the room and fell into the stairs. Gone. Got her to the couch and she started breathing weird and seizing. Called 911. They took her to the hospital. Tested her for every virus known to man. Flu. She had been pushing fluids to the point where she had a sodium imbalance. Hit her with an IV and sent her home. But we are both coughing hard. I'm getting some codeine and some tamiflu. I'm spiking brief fevers as high as 102-103.

When I plunked her down on the couch and called 911, she was gone. The lights were on but nobody was home. She has no memory of about five minutes. I thought it was a stroke/seizure. Nursey screwed up her hydration.

Merry f'ing Christmas.
Sorry to hear that.

Did you get the flu vaccine? When I first started teaching, I had not been sick in years if not decades. I didn’t think I needed the flu vaccine. It was either my first or second year I got the flu twice, used up all my sick days. After that I would always get the vaccine and never got the flu again. I was thinking I didn’t need it anymore now that I’m retired and not spending my days in the incubator, but then thought, what fuk, I’ve never had a reaction to the vax so might as well get it.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
No vaccine this time. Me or the wife. This is her first year away from nursing. We’re both getting our asses kicked.

• Sad
Reactions: One-Off

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Merry f'ing Christmas.
Flu is no joke. I’ve been hospitalized twice form the flu.

You guys hang in there. Have some Gatorade.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Started coughing up blood tinged sputum last night. Going to pickup codeine cough syrup in an hour. Wife is no better. Everything hurts. Can’t sleep. Chills. Sweaty. About what you’d expect