Perhaps The Best Ma'alaea Footage Ever...

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I surfed there was on a waist to chest high day. The reef got shallower and shallower as you went down the line. On what was to be my last wave, I remember marvelling how fast I was going on a knee highwave when the reef went totally dry in front of me. Skinned up my forearms and kind of ruined the rest of my trip.

How shallow is it on a big day?

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
The lifeguard Alex I saw get a sick shack this morning. He’s from Maui probably late ‘20’s early 30’s. Alex said he’s never seen Maalaea like that ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: keenfish

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
YOU WILL c allot of this swell because there was about 20plus cameramen along the coast there pionted at it,,,, and how many cellphones........ every condo manager was freaked out by the takeover of thier shoreline and parking lots
:roflmao: :applause2: Every dam time that a good swell shows up and they have no idea of the take over of "their condo space". "Oh the noise, those dam surfer's make AND, they're drinking beer and smoking marijuana" :cheers: :jamon:

Last edited:

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell
Back in the early to mid 70's we used to camp further east past the closed road under the kiawe trees (mud flats) when a swell would hit. When you miss a wave at Maalaea the offshore would be blowing so hard the spray would sting your back!!!! :roflmao::roflmao:

This swell is the biggest I've seen it. Bigger than the swell that which Sam Hawk, Gerry Lopez, and Lloyd Ishimine was killing it.

Wonder how big Buzz's and Mcgregor's point was.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Avg Annual wind speed at ol Red Wind ( Ma'alaea means something to that effect because of all the red dirt dust whipped up off the plains) is 33MPH. Average no less.
I was wondering about this - is that a 30 mph offshore wind they're paddling into?

Reactions: PPK96754

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Big Island getting pounded too.

I bet outside Keuauhou Bay, on the right side of the bay is going off. The expensive homes along Ali'i Drive are being swamped and the home owners are :eek:o_O:oops:. The little three story
apartments on the beach at Magic Sands and the restaurant on the ground floor are probably flooded. "Banyan's" condo's and parking lot are flooded and the surf runup will be across Ali'i Drive.
in Kailua town, Huggo's restaurant will hopefully be ok but further into "town," The Kona Inn and the Hulihe'e Palace will be awash in seawater as well as the King Kamehameha Hotel which sits at the waters edge, adjacent and back from the Kailua Pier.
The 5 foot cement wall that runs along Ali'i Drive from the Palace to the Pier will have waves slapping over it, guys surfing outside in Kailua Bay, which doesn't happen too often unless a big South is passing through Hawaiian water. Mega swell for all Islands.
I bet the little Hawaiian community of Miloli'i is over run with ocean water and the City of Refuge as well in Honaunau, Napo'opo'o area. The homes on the south end of Kealakekua Bay may be awash too. Lots of possibilities of homes being lost or heavily damaged.

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
  • Haha
Reactions: jkb

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Some pretty epic pov GoPro and higher quality personal photog vids are starting to get posted on YT and IG.

Reactions: BaliIdiot