Perhaps Cliche.. but Costa Rica June 2022..

toPBk

Miki Dora status
Mar 27, 2002
North Pacific Beach, CA
I haven't been to CR for almost 2 decades... getting old, wanting to go to other spots, kids, divorce, work, all the usuals ...

Thing 1 graduating HS this June (headed off to college in Rome.. even after acceptance at all the UC schools (proud dad brag)) - and we're doing a trip for a week before he goes to pizzaland and mushy surf.

Wondering if any -erbb ers were gonna be down there 2nd/3rd week of June.

Never bothered with Esterillos area... always up north or Brave Sauce... anybody have an opinion/take on that area (Esterillos)?

East? West? variety of spots??

All recommendations appreciated.

Reactions: parkiteric

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I haven't been to CR for almost 2 decades... getting old, wanting to go to other spots, kids, divorce, work, all the usuals ...

Thing 1 graduating HS this June (headed off to college in Rome.. even after acceptance at all the UC schools (proud dad brag)) - and we're doing a trip for a week before he goes to pizzaland and mushy surf.

Never bothered with Esterillos area... always up north or Brave Sauce... anybody have an opinion/take on that area (Esterillos)?

Be prepared for full on blow up:drowning:
If you remember brave sauce as that quite little caribean port with 3 restuarants: Johnnys, Tamari, and Stanfords you are in for huge suprise:bricks: Hell no more Johnny cakes or bannana bread and lost a lot of soul...

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005

Esterillos is nice, and more off the beaten path. Wave can get good, but there are better waves in Costa.

I don't think summer is the best time to surf salsa brava, but I could be wrong. Never been, but I think the surf is very inconsistent in the summer unless a tropic storm system of some kind is in the Caribbean.

I would stay on the Pacific side for more consistent swell.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I comprehend both points.. but I'm trying to find an user friendly area to accommodate wide range of skill sets
I would suggest Mal Pais/Santa Theresa, mediocre beachbreak that is suitable for a wide range os skillsets.

Jul 18, 2018
last chance.. anyone interested in an Ollie's boat ride on Wednesday?
I don't think Ollie's works anymore, or at least that's what my boat captain told me in April.
But Witches is super fun and looks like the tide will be good. You're stoked!