Performance twins?

Nov 21, 2009
Rode a DHD The Twin and loved it. Anyone recommend something similar to look at as well. Thinking Black Baron, MTF, CI Twin style boards more than traditional keel fish or mini sims. I’d love to try a MR but they don’t come up often second hand and are exxy brand new...

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Lots of good options out there. Here's the list I'd love to try:

Sharpe Eye Modern 2
Album UTF
Machado Go Fish
Machado Seaside
Panda Astro Cloud & Rocket Fish
Black Baron
Pyzel Astro Glide

So many to choose from...

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
That Akila Aipa twin fish looks pretty fun

also Roam Surfboard's Marlin Spike is one of the most performance-y twins I ever had

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
this one looks pretty good too

https://www.chemistrysurfboards.com/cassette-deck

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
tedshred5 said:
That Akila Aipa twin fish looks pretty fun

also Roam Surfboard's Marlin Spike is one of the most performance-y twins I ever had
Roam Marlin Spike makes a regular appearance on the Gram
looks sweet

Mat6920

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 10, 2017
Tomay said:
Stacey Bullet Twin - absolutely insane board.
F**** yeah ! How impressive is this board ?! Pin tail acts like a thruster but it flies like a twin

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Maybe I should admit my ignorance and ask, what physical attributes, makes a performance twin?

If I'm totally honest, I'm going by what the blurb says on say JS's site explaining the Black Baron. (for example), and from the videos (yea I know), the pros seem to not get overly slidey and are bottom turn/ top turn as much on it than on their thrusters.

I get that pros can surf an Macdonalds tray better than I can surf the best board ever, but what would make a twin, go nice and vertical, yet have that twin speed and flow?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Fins sized for a placement that gives you the same sweat spot as a great thruster .

Large system fins can't be placed there - need to be created for that and were 30 years ago .

10 years before FCS took over production of all boards in the mid 90's with no twin fins or 4 fins to offer .

Hope that gives you some insight .