Performance twin fin placement question

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Yesterday I put down a deposit with a local shaper (Dan Cobley) for a performance twin. I reached out to three other higher profile shapers and wasn't getting any response, so decided to give Dan a go since he's made some twins for some local guys they seem to really like.

I showed him an image of the Bullet Twin and he was cool using it as a jumping off point. I wasn't really thinking too much about the twins' placement, but today I remembered him mentioning his usual twin placement at 8.5" and to me, looking at the Bullet's, the placement looks closer to the tail. I've read that 6.5" is a placement number shapers have been trending towards. Any guesses what the Bullet's may be?

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
back works well, toe, cant, and position from rail are all factors

But I ride twinzers not twins, so ymmv

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
^Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm pretty committed to FCSII (haven't had Havoc's issues) and have a pretty large collection including some twin sets so I don't see myself changing systems for this board. I was just looking for opinions on placement. FWIW, I'll probably riding one of FCS' upright sets.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I would go Futures because you can change cant by changing fins. But regardless, either Futures or FCS, I would make sure the boxes aren’t toed in too much.

Reactions: ChaseTMP and Aruka

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Problem with Futures and twins is generally you're going to have a longer base with twins. Futures shitty box design means you have to have the gap between the fin base and the board. It's so bad its silly.

Reactions: Havoc and JDJ

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
^Thanks for the recommendation, but I'm pretty committed to FCSII (haven't had Havoc's issues) and have a pretty large collection including some twin sets so I don't see myself changing systems for this board. I was just looking for opinions on placement. FWIW, I'll probably riding one of FCS' upright sets.
C92D69B0-96F2-43A4-986C-4492B1FCFA43.jpeg

Got her on Friday and been riding small soft waves yesterday and today. Fins are 7 3/4 from swallow tips. FCS II Power Twins. So far so good. Can’t wait to ride head high skatepark waves with her.

Reactions: Havoc and ChaseTMP

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Base width intact creating Lift and Hold as part of the bottom of the board - not bellow as a separate surface
Tappering upward and back for release and control of the same

Sized to be placed for the best performance - very shortboard like :)

Very Old design - no new new wow wow to chit chat about - sorry internet influencers

Last edited:
Reactions: Havoc

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
based on teeroi's board being 7 3/4, I'd guess the Stacey is at 6.5 or 7 just from eyeballing it

Reactions: ChaseTMP

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Picked up a secondhand Matty Raynor twin keel over the weekend, excited to ride it (Not necessarily a performance twin). Measured em and fins are set at 8”.
C97C4832-B20C-4282-9A3A-43AB17753938.jpeg
DF21F455-1B5B-4587-918F-6ABC6220C121.jpeg

Reactions: Havoc and ChaseTMP

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Base width intact creating Lift and Hold as part of the bottom of the board - not bellow as a separate surface
Tappering upward and back for release and control of the same

Sized to be placed for the best performance - very shortboard like :)

Very Old design - no new new wow wow to chit chat about - sorry internet influencers

So wait, a giant gap between the base of the fin and the bottom of the board is a flaw....not a feature? I'm going to have to check the internets for this one.

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
How long are Futures boxes? I haven't had a board with them in over eight years. I forgot how they're placed in regards to where the shaper is placing their fin dots. I should be able to deduce within an 1/8" the spacing using this image if I know either the inside (where the fin sits) dimension or the entire box's length.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Guessing 6.5" on the Bullet Twin. Great looking board, btw.

Placement looks similar to that on my Pyzel Astro Twinnie, which I highly recommend.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Depends.

Tim seems to like the futures keels over glass ons for this break in the base.YMMV.
I like the un altered base since its VERY important to the design of the fin .

If your partnered to Futures then your partnered to the marketing , not the High School level physics that make things work best on a surfboard . Lift - Plane and Release