Pendoflex

njsurfer42

Michael Peterson status
Mar 16, 2006
shrouded in a 5/4
anyone riding them? thoughts? ride reports?
haven't reached out yet, just kicking tires.
interested in the fish in particular, possibly a kneeboard.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
When I lived in Santa Cruz I had two, both used, one flex tail quad and one kneeboard quad that I rode standing up. Unique feeling I suppose. They were fun, but I did not feel the need to keep them.

Reactions: ReForest

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
anyone riding them? thoughts? ride reports?
haven't reached out yet, just kicking tires.
interested in the fish in particular, possibly a kneeboard.
I used to see a guy up in Monmouth county here and there ripping on what I think was a pendo rubber ducky, it was a fish with the rubber all the way up to the nose. Looked like it worked very well

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Years ago I had a custom Burch Peanut that I didn’t really dig as much as other boards I’ve gotten from him. So I had Steve do his thing to the entire deck. Only took him half a day as I hung out and watched him convert it. Great guy that’s full of stock, but unfortunately it didn’t make the board any better. It ended up quite heavy, therefore it wasn’t any more fun to surf, it actually felt old and dead. And the foam/rubber material was so slippery I was worried about tearing my ACL again. Sure I could’ve waxed the rubber foam, but it really would’ve turned into an anchor. I have pics of the entire tedious process that he told me not to share, but I’ll include a couple that don’t show his secrets. It’s a lot more than just placing a different material on the deck. YMMV… but I wouldn’t do it again. I believe the board is with TK Chas in Japan, he’s ended up with a few of my non-keepers;)
3AAD6785-4731-471B-9665-31590A5FF9AC.jpeg0D6E18AB-7C4D-40DE-A929-40E02613156E.jpegDAB92F09-7813-4C4E-9D91-70AEA5E47B8A.jpeg443DB3F3-812B-440E-8B06-D42A96E5CADE.jpeg38E069C2-E5A7-46A0-B156-89AF243156A9.jpeg5460700F-D3FF-4091-8CBB-5CED3172F472.jpeg3D382A34-E154-4BB7-8803-21F6E0165D7A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: obpmem and npsp

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
Rode one in SD years ago a friend of mine had - went really well - fun in beach beak in OB. I didn't't know he was still making boards. were can you find one?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
When I lived in Santa Cruz I had two, both used, one flex tail quad and one kneeboard quad that I rode standing up. Unique feeling I suppose. They were fun, but I did not feel the need to keep them.
I think I sold you that pavel kneeboard right? That thing was a blast for a bit

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I think I sold you that pavel kneeboard right? That thing was a blast for a bit
Shoot, might have been. Where did we meet? Yeah it was fun, but pretty squirrelly for stand-up surfing, with the thick foam on the deck. I used it at Steamer Lane a few times, and other westside spots that shall not be named.

I feel like I picked this up in Carlsbad...or Leon drove it up.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Years ago I had a custom Burch Peanut that I didn’t really dig as much as other boards I’ve gotten from him. So I had Steve do his thing to the entire deck. Only took him half a day as I hung out and watched him convert it. Great guy that’s full of stock, but unfortunately it didn’t make the board any better. It ended up quite heavy, therefore it wasn’t any more fun to surf, it actually felt old and dead. And the foam/rubber material was so slippery I was worried about tearing my ACL again. Sure I could’ve waxed the rubber foam, but it really would’ve turned into an anchor. I have pics of the entire tedious process that he told me not to share, but I’ll include a couple that don’t show his secrets. It’s a lot more than just placing a different material on the deck. YMMV… but I wouldn’t do it again. I believe the board is with TK Chas in Japan, he’s ended up with a few of my non-keepers;)
View attachment 152809View attachment 152810View attachment 152813View attachment 152814View attachment 152812View attachment 152815View attachment 152816
Do you think it would have been any better if you just did the tail end and not the whole thing?

May 19, 2012
@maxfieldmiles modified a vangaurd with a pendoflex tail and he loves it! I've never ridden one but would love to try it.
Yeah the Pendo retrofit Steve did to my Vanguard was incredible. I would do it again, especially to the more rectangular Tomo designs with wider/thicker tails. The Pendoflex sensation is wild. You can almost dig your foot into the tail and manipulate the torsional flex of the board like a gas pedal. I felt like it added propulsion down the line, back foot felt more connected to the water and somehow felt like it increased the board's turning radius. Some may think it's sacrilegious to put a pad and wax on a Pendo... but it worked for me. The kick I put together did start to slightly peel up one time, so I used a flexible super glue made for foam to seal it. No peel up issues afterwards.

Attachments

slickjc

Nep status
Jul 1, 2004
so. cal.
Yeah the Pendo retrofit Steve did to my Vanguard was incredible. I would do it again, especially to the more rectangular Tomo designs with wider/thicker tails. The Pendoflex sensation is wild. You can almost dig your foot into the tail and manipulate the torsional flex of the board like a gas pedal. I felt like it added propulsion down the line, back foot felt more connected to the water and somehow felt like it increased the board's turning radius. Some may think it's sacrilegious to put a pad and wax on a Pendo... but it worked for me. The kick I put together did start to slightly peel up one time, so I used a flexible super glue made for foam to seal it. No peel up issues afterwards.
interesting

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Do you think it would have been any better if you just did the tail end and not the whole thing?
Maybe….maybe not. The end product definitely would’ve been lighter had I just done the tail portion. But I wanted to do the entire deck if I was going to do it. I wanted to feel the flex properties to its fullest. The flex was there, but I wouldn’t trade that for the added weight of slippery rubber foam. Another thing I didn’t mention earlier was the responsiveness of the board changed. The timing of what my legs were doing to be translated through the rubber foam to the bottom of the board was delayed, if that makes any sense.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Maybe….maybe not. The end product definitely would’ve been lighter had I just done the tail portion. But I wanted to do the entire deck if I was going to do it. I wanted to feel the flex properties to its fullest. The flex was there, but I wouldn’t trade that for the added weight of slippery rubber foam. Another thing I didn’t mention earlier was the responsiveness of the board changed. The timing of what my legs were doing to be translated through the rubber foam to the bottom of the board was delayed, if that makes any sense.
Would that delay in timing be similar to that of an upper end soft top?
I've had a couple of Hypto soft tops in similar volume to my fibreflex ones and the slight lag in responsiveness would be a key difference in-between them.

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Would that delay in timing be similar to that of an upper end soft top?
I've had a couple of Hypto soft tops in similar volume to my fibreflex ones and the slight lag in responsiveness would be a key difference in-between them.
Yeah, similar. But with the Pendo deck it was even more exaggerated. The soft layer on those soft tops(Crime, HS, JS, JJF by Pyzel) is probably only a quarter the thickness of what Steve uses. And the stuff he uses is a different, significantly softer material

Last edited:
Reactions: Retropete

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This was my "pendoed" board. I loved the soft squishy feel on the back foot and for duck diving. This was my DD for over five years (even after snapping the nose). Too much going on to individuate what made it magic- pendo, e-wings, curved channels, perimeter rails, innegra cloth, nylon non woven (Skinz)....Twinzer! After this board I've ridden twinzers pretty exclusively.

IMG_6504.JPG
IMG_6502.JPG

Last edited: