Pe'ahi January 2021

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
Just keeping track now, if you are a young, aspiring pro surfer then you have to surf 12 foot sunset like it’s head high, surf 10 foot pipe perfectly, do every air possible and pig dog 50 foot outer reef peaks. Jeez.

Stay in school, kids. Get a job.
Same with skateboarding. I see kids on IG doing tricks that would have been all-time video enders 20 or so years ago that are randos that barely have any sponsors.

Reactions: CutnSnip

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
bunch of over glorified toob dodgers is what they all are. especially that GMAC guy... retire already homie!

not making enough letting people drive yo 4X4 around or what?

jeez, guy just bites it on a 60 foot wave to get attention anymore!

(irony expected to shine through on this last post)

:trout::socrazy::monkey::nana:

Reactions: Mr Doof

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
we start to get hit tomorrow.

sweaty palms, cannot sleep at night, already since Friday just looking at the swell predicitons.

Woot, woot, woot!

Phook you broken toe, you are getting wrapped and suffering the consequences!!!

:roflmao: :bowdown::jamon::drowning::love:

okay, NOT FUNNY!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

which one of you fackas called the road crew and told them to asfalt my road TODAY!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!

literally asfalted in my house, cannot leave, street entry wide open, black smoke billowing everywhere, all my pit bulls are freaking out and there's not even a claw foot bathtub in the house?

what's a fella to do?

:violin::violin::violin::monkey::loser::poke::cursing::bricks:

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Fuk guys, check this out! It's multiple lineup perspectives of those closeouts and what the skis did. It's hard to tell, but it seemed to me that there were quite a few more sets that swung wide or almost closed out :shrug:

Reactions: hugh shackman

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Think I remember in some surf movie from the late 80s, or early 90s, that had some big wave guy saying Avalanche didn't close out (and that it wasn't that great of a surf spot).

But no matter, amazing stuff to watch from the safety of my dining room.

Edit: So wait, two post up, the video title Big Saturday...that isn't Avalanche?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020
Wow..that Tyler piece was epic.
How about his Mavericks wave..Awesome.

Good to have seen him in action on the 16th.

Last edited:
Reactions: PPK96754

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Watch the hack at 1:52. Insane. There's another vid somewhere of him getting up high on one of those Jaws walls and freefalling back down and just charging on like it was nothing. The new crew is amazing out there, but Laird's simple size and athleticism still make him the standard bearer at Jaws IMHO -- at least where towing is concerned.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Watch the hack at 1:52. Insane. There's another vid somewhere of him getting up high on one of those Jaws walls and freefalling back down and just charging on like it was nothing. The new crew is amazing out there, but Laird's simple size and athleticism still make him the standard bearer at Jaws IMHO -- at least where towing is concerned.
Agree 100% I watched all of those early Jaws videos when they came out in the mid 90s and the only difference between then and now is that there are a few guys who can get deeper in the barrel, which is probably due to advances in boards. Laird and the Strapped crew were making it up as they went along, bolting weights onto pretty primitive boards.

I'm a huge fan of Laird's act. The guy is not wrong when he said he's already done it all and just moves on when something new comes along. I mean, he quit surfing pipe -- which he was doing as a grom -- to windsurf the outer reefs, wasn't the first tow surfer out there but surely one of the first and best, then moved on to foiling....and what's everyone doing now? Foiling.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
All the paddle outer reef action that I've seen from this day has been Himalayas but in the video above the first couple waves looks like Avalanche and the right could be Puaena Point.
Yeah I just thought with the right that was at Puaena, and that's Waialua in the background... mountains heading out to Kaena Point look too close for it to be Himalayas

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Or how about the top turn at 2:05, backside on a 50' wall. Insane stuff.

What is most amazing is that Laird and crew mostly had the place to themselves for years. Compare with now when there are 20+ tow teams, a ton of paddle in guys, a bunch of boats, rescue and photog skis, and boats in the channel. Must have been pure zen when Laird, Kalama and crew had it to themselves.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
There's a clip getting texted around of somebody at Puaena getting one of the best big wave barrels I've ever seen. I haven't seen it posted anywhere, whoever it is must be saving it. I think it's Kelly.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
They are saying best big waves in Hawaii in many years. Tough to argue with the pics and video showing up. Insane footage from so many spots.

Reactions: K1zwark