Pavones - way too crowded or just crowded these days?

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Crowded might be alright, but wondering if I'm better off finding a more low key left point somewhere for a trip.

Anybody been recently-ish? How overcrowded is it? Looking at a memorial day time frame.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Have not been in a long time, but it was too crowded then and can't imagine it got less so. But who knows you might get lucky.

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
If there's a swell, everyone in Costa Rica knows and goes, and you're bummed.
If there's no swell, you're probably bummed too.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hahah. Just got invited on a trip down there end of this month. Debating going...

The crew going went in September and scored good swells. They said the crowd lacks talent and most people don't make sections. They all got lots of waves.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
I was there in 2006 and it was crowded, I always walked south of the river and was surfing alone

I saw a SUP in a punta mango post on the gram. Dark days...

paunch23

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2011
Rep. of Panama, La Barqueta, David, Chiriquí
I hear is very crowded plus the rivermouth looked like sht. This was a few months back though. But racer has a great point.
A competent surfer will get the good waves there. It is a pretty remote place and I guess the level in this part of the world is lacking in comparison to more surf-civilized nations.
I have met a few americans who used to live there and now have made their way over to panama.
Great fckn wave though.

Jan 15, 2015
Will be there in a couple weeks. Last time there (2) years ago, things changed as the damn further up the river blew out and washed loads of new sand and gravel into the area. So it's not the same break as noted in past surf flicks but still a fun break.

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I was going every year up until 2 years ago. It’s crazy crowded and inconsistent with the sand mentioned above. So hard to get to and isolated as well. It’s really not worth the effort.

I’m going on Monday...................