Paul Theroux's New Book on Aging Big Wave Rider Drops Today...

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I'll definitely give it a read, if only because Paul Theroux writes like a god.

Garrett M. gets a lot of hate, I'm sure some of it deserved, but my interactions with him have always been positive. He is a friendly guy, always smiling, cool to everyone. No idea re: his politics, I have avoided those sorts of discussions with people I have to see regularly for some years now.

His brother's the prick, and so are his nephews, IMO.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I'll definitely give it a read, if only because Paul Theroux writes like a god.

Garrett M. gets a lot of hate, I'm sure some of it deserved, but my interactions with him have always been positive. He is a friendly guy, always smiling, cool to everyone. No idea re: his politics, I have avoided those sorts of discussions with people I have to see regularly for some years now.

I can attest to his brother. I haven't interacted with his kids in years. They were fine as youngsters, but I only interacted with them while abroad, not on the NS

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Welcome back Bidiot!
This is a little weird, I literally just yesterday, grabbed a random TSJ out of my collection for a lunchtime re-read.
The first story I read was "Visions Apocalyptic"
There's a good short story about Mr. Theroux in the latest TSJ.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
My first introduction to Paul Theroux was Hotel Honolulu.

If you haven't read it, go get yourself a copy.
I’ve read that once a year for years. I can’t remember if the first I read was The Family Arsenal, Two of Everything, or Dark Star Safari.

Reactions: tacos and mundus

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Landon and his brother are obnoxious.

Much like Makua- they act like kings in the north shore cause they can run and cry to someone to take care of their problem.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
My Secret History by Theroux shaped my life - still remember finishing in about 1995 at the hotel danutoba in medan sumatra - amazing

dont like reading about surfing - they never get it right - eddie vedder said that on a howard stern interview

in regards to dunfees book - i wouldnt let anyone even buy me that guys book

Reactions: tacos

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu

I totally agree about Garrett and his brother. I don't think I've ever met the nephews.

The first story in the book about Joe Sharkey surfing Waimea at night on drugs and swimming in down at OTW is a Jock Sutherland story.

Last edited:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I totally agree about Garrett and his brother. I don't think I've ever met the nephews.

The first story in the book about Joe Sharkey surfing Waimea at night on drugs and swimming in down at OTW is a Jock Sutherland story.
Yeah, Jocko. Weird start, I’m through two chapters.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Okay, who wants to start erbb book club?

This month book, Under the Wave . . .

PT like to use prepositional phrases for his titles.

Has anyone ever drawn the parallel between surfers and popular high school kids?

Both groups are very gossipy and hierarchal.

"He said what?!"

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I’ve read that once a year for years. I can’t remember if the first I read was The Family Arsenal, Two of Everything, or Dark Star Safari.
I picked up Family Arsenal a while ago, have not gotten around to reading it, what did you think?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Weird, like all his books.

I really liked My Other Life.

I think in My Secret History the character shoots someone with a urine filled squirt gun.

:roflmao:

I had someone stealing my salsa at work out of my lunch when I was a warehouse worker.

After reading the book, I urinated in my salsa and left it in my lunch.

But as I worked it freaked me out and I threw it away.

--High empath out!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
What is it with the Windan guys that make them so affectedly self-important?
Um. La Jolla? Self important? Can't imagine why.

I don't know anything about Dunfee other than he rode big waves well, grabbed some sweet POV shots before GoPro made them ubiquitous, and his photos are cool.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
Um. La Jolla? Self important? Can't imagine why.

I don't know anything about Dunfee other than he rode big waves well, grabbed some sweet POV shots before GoPro made them ubiquitous, and his photos are cool.
I was bored the other day and I wanted to watch a surf video. Found some Vans video online on Amazon on my TV. Turned it on and it was immediately Joel Tudor talking about no stickers on their boards cause they are in a working class town.

• Haha
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I was bored the other day and I wanted to watch a surf video. Found some Vans video online on Amazon on my TV. Turned it on and it was immediately Joel Tudor talking about no stickers on their boards cause they are in a working class town.

Was he talking about La Jolla or himself, because he's not from LJ. I think he grew up a bit inland but I'd consider him a Cardiff guy if anything, but he's been "under the wing" of lots SD guys that have roots from LJ to Oceanside.

I would've considered LJ "working class" 50 years ago. I wouldn't anymore.

But then again, my hometown seems to be on that trajectory as well, but with worse waves.