Patagucci

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
And carbon footprint per individual is such a weird and meaningless stat. Individual effort like recycling (yay!) is so minuscule.
It is a meaningless stat for plebians such as us. However when you are regularly flying in jets by yourself or rolling around the Med in 200 foot power yachts (not saying he does specifically, speaking in generalities here), you are then talking about the carbon footprint of the lifetime of people in small developing world villages. Which is why if you do that sh!t then fine, enjoy yourself, but don't talk down on everyone else. Same goes for the several thousand elites flying into Davos every year on their private jets to talk about how we all need to eat bugs and sleep in pods to save the world. Until they live what they preach they can all eat a bag of cricket dicks, and hopefully choke on them.

That said I 100% agree with your comments regarding corporations shifting the blame, that's really where the egregious waste is.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Barstool has officially chimed in.
Oh thank god finally. We’ve all been at the edge of our seats for them to respond.

• Haha
Reactions: sushipop

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Back when I was a skier/ ski patrolmen Patagucci was the best gear.
My Galvanized jacket stood up to everything I could run into this past winter (tree bark and branches) and with the right layers underneath kept I and I warm on the gnarliest windiest coldiest days.

2/22
1663340181283.jpeg

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
There was a Patagonia infomercial/movie where he and the North Face dude fly (in a private jet) down to Chile to buy a bunch of land in order to stop a hydroelectric dam project (completely fucking over the locals who want electricity).

He was also quoted in an interview saying something to the effect of, “there’s a special place in hell for me because of the fact that I fly all around the world, often on private jets, for frivolous reasons.”

He was also a complete wave hog piece of sh!t to the point of being dangerous in the water. But that’s a whole nuther story…
Patagucci's products are made almost entirely of petroleum products. It would be funny to hold a traditional clothes workshop in their Ventucky office - have them shear a herd of sheep and show them how clothes used to be made. Alternatively we could force them to pick cotton under my lash as I sip mint juleps.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I threw him out of the water in front of his own house. Minus tide on sand bottom point. Barrells everywhere. I pull into one and I'm pumping and adjusting down the line. This guy starts paddling in in front of me. In a fvcking kayak. The bottom of the waves are like kind of square. Kind of 90 degrees? He was not going to make it. And he kept coming as I was screaming at him. Full yard sale. Slightly overhead wave in about three feet or less of water. I had no idea who he was. Could have cared less. But when I paddled back out the guys in the lineup where all laughing. "You know who that is?" "Let me guess, dead man walking?" More laughter.

That was a long time ago. I can't imagine he surfs much at all anymore.

My home beach in Ventucky has been known to have "PATAGONIA KOOKS GO HOME!" stickers strategically placed. I actually had one European Patagonia employee (according to him) cut me off and then tell me, "It's OK. We will be gone tomorrow and you can have your beach back then."

I sh!t you not.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I threw him out of the water in front of his own house. Minus tide on sand bottom point. Barrells everywhere. I pull into one and I'm pumping and adjusting down the line. This guy starts paddling in in front of me. In a fvcking kayak. The bottom of the waves are like kind of square. Kind of 90 degrees? He was not going to make it. And he kept coming as I was screaming at him. Full yard sale. Slightly overhead wave in about three feet or less of water. I had no idea who he was. Could have cared less. But when I paddled back out the guys in the lineup where all laughing. "You know who that is?" "Let me guess, dead man walking?" More laughter.

I went in there once because my "friend" convinced me Patagucci wetsuits were the best thing since sliced bread - less neoprene/more warmth etc. On the way in through the parking lot I was asked by an employee if I was a Patagucci athlete - apparently because I was the only guy they've seen with a neck larger than 9". Confused, I proceeded into the store and I tried on an XL R3 and found it stiff and tight in the chest but figured that was just because of the wool and it would stretch out. The fact that it was on sale should've steered me away but the warranty was excellent. It never did and felt like I was paddling in chain mail. Then the question in the parking lot connected the dots - the wetsuits are designed for pear-shaped bugmen like the Surfline CEO:
1663342912439.png

The seams promptly leaked.

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
The people I know that worked there had some stories to tell. I've had a couple of employees tell me, "It's pretty much like working for a Fortune 500 company except for the guy that stabs you in the back has a beard and is wearing Birkenstocks."

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I've heard good and bad about the Chouinards. I've surfed next to Yvon and Fletcher multiple times and never had a problem with them. But then again, I've had people tell me nightmare stories about their lack of etiquette. I will say that the clothing and equipment is top notch yet expensive. The warranty makes up for it I guess. I have have Patagonia shirts that are over ten years old and still looking good.

BTW, my wife has been to three of their homes and she was surprised by the fact that they were just normal, casual beach dwellings. Not at all ostentatious and quite comfortable and relaxing. Given the amount of Duckets they make, they could be living in McMansions but choose not to.

If yur in town, stop by Real Cheap Sports. It's a block away from Patagonia's retail store and is basically an outlet for their past year's clothing and equipment. So, if you don't mind wearing last season's puffy down vest at 40% off, go for it. It sure doesn't bother me. 1663344901164.gif

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

My home beach in Ventucky has been known to have "PATAGONIA KOOKS GO HOME!" stickers strategically placed. I actually had one European Patagonia employee (according to him) cut me off and then tell me, "It's OK. We will be gone tomorrow and you can have your beach back then."

I sh!t you not.
You ever see it when he would paddle out with a group of employees and they’d all sit in the lineup in a circle around him, all facing him? Super bizarre.

Yeah, he stuffed me really bad almost to the point of being an assault. We got tangled up and told him to get the fuck out.

One of his minions said to me, “don’t you know who that is?”

I told him to GTFO too.

These days it’s just employees showing up on lunch break with their hey-bro-all-good attitude and proceed to take every wave.

I type all this outfitted head to toe in Patagonia Work Wear, btw. What can I say, they make good sh!t.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Subway

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
You ever see it when he would paddle out with a group of employees and they’d all sit in the lineup in a circle around him, all facing him? Super bizarre.

Yeah, he stuffed me really bad almost to the point of being an assault. We got tangled up and told him to get the fook out.

I told him to GTFO too.

These days it’s just employees showing up on lunch break with their hey-bro-all-good attitude and proceed to take every wave.

I type all this outfitted head to toe in Patagonia Work Wear, btw. What can I say, they make good sh!t.

View attachment 138023

View attachment 138024
No work wear for me only personel use at the moment find wrangler ridgid best for work as far as price and durability with shorts and pants.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom

Yeah, he stuffed me really bad almost to the point of being an assault. We got tangled up and told him to get the fook out.

I told him to GTFO too.

View attachment 138023

View attachment 138024
Didn’t realize you were a cholo

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I sh!t you not.
What are the Malloys like? I always liked their surfing and their online personas/vibe. I apreciated the fact that Patagonia sponsored them.

However, they should have given Lopez a raise so he didn't have to start selling Costco boards.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
I recall some animosity that was vaguely directed toward Patagonia after they were no longer sponsored from the malloys on social media. I say vague but it was fairly obvious who it was directed toward.

Reactions: sh3