2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
:beer:
Hmmmm...
From what i recall, from my studies @ Venice High School in thee l8 70's,
they DO NOT teach teenagers how to be parents! Do they do so now~a~days?
Or did they, you school teachers who erBB, did you/your kind, do so, back in the '50's/'60's?
I doubt it...

So it'z always been,
it's allll up to you, you youngsters, ya boyz+girlz,
to figure/go figure, it out, how best to parent...

How many of you whom erBB grew up in a 'Leave It to Beaver' household?
Were not most of you born to parents who were drunk thee night you were conceived,
parents might have also smoked pot, did drugs, raised you, allll illegal to do back then/still now?
Or were you all just raised perfectly?
Hmmmm...

Most dudes i know just wanna get laid,
+ thee kidz just happened, for ooops, your chick is prego, + now you getta be a daddy now, right?
Who knows what kinda chick Tom's Mommy was waaay back then,
obvie she made Pat C, her dude, miserable enough, to then need to split...
My opinion only, and as so, indeed, your opinion, may vary!

PS ~ i 1st sorta met TC, his Mommy, sister too,
waaay back when WSA District 4, err {Los Angeles},
was called WSA District 3+4, ~ {Santa Barbara/Ventura+Los Angeles},
which ran by a black dude, a foundin' member of Thee BSA, dude with a name of David Lansdowne,
this before Jeanie Curren, {Pat's old chick + Tom's mommy}
broke away from L.A. + formed WSA District 3, {in 1980?},
prior to the PT/Ian Cairns + NSSA...

Pic below shows 1981 Venice loc'+US Boyz Champ Solo Scott walkin' next to David Lansdowne, blue fullsuit, far right.
Tom Curren had been a US Boyz Champ a few years earlier before Solo, + me, i still sometimes proudly proclaim whilst conversin' with newer surf crew that i got my 1st surf trophy by beatin' Tom Curren in a WSA District 3+4 comp up @ Santa Clara Rivermouth Oct. 79' when he had moved up into Juniors Division, hahaha...
View attachment 96013
:waving:
I stay in touch with David Lansdown. He lives in Silicon Valley. He said Solo partnered with Allan Sarlo selling real estate.
1980 I was the WSA director of San Diego District 6 about the time Jeanie Curren took over the Santa Barbara district. She was basically a single mom supporting 3 young children, relying on assistance from her Church. I remember Joe Curren would chase my dog all day when I was running the events. Tom was about 13 and had talent on par with David Eggers. Honestly, In all the time I knew the family they never mentioned his dad.

Reactions: ~rwright~

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
I stay in touch with David Lansdown. He lives in Silicon Valley. He said Solo partnered with Allan Sarlo selling real estate.
1980 I was the WSA director of San Diego District 6 about the time Jeanie Curren took over the Santa Barbara district. She was basically a single mom supporting 3 young children, relying on assistance from her Church. I remember Joe Curren would chase my dog all day when I was running the events. Tom was about 13 and had talent on par with David Eggers. Honestly, In all the time I knew the family they never mentioned his dad.
Toms wife and Little Pat Curren

Attachments

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
i know of you, Joe Ewing,
for you are a So Cal. loc' legend, just like 'Hoppy' Swartz was!

i'm alwayz dig your postin's, for thee old school still rockz!!!
at 1 time, i helped David run District 4, whilst you ran District 6,
i was an associate director, helpin' to run comps up here in L.A. ~ good memories,
b4 i went to play on thee PSAA...

i still remember, when we here in L.A. were still District 3~4,
that Tom's lil' sis had thee bitchin'~est color of eyez i have ever seen,
this said, some 40 year l8er,
hahaha!

i hope that ya get some of this new South swell comin' our way,
in this strangest of yearz, thee summer of 2020!!!

And i hope that pepz who care,
will help donate to Thee Family of a legend,
for what~evez reason you feel, please, just do it!!!
Friends of Pat Curren

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
i know of you, Joe Ewing,
for you are a So Cal. loc' legend, just like 'Hoppy' Swartz was!

i'm alwayz dig your postin's, for thee old school still rockz!!!
at 1 time, i helped David run District 4, whilst you ran District 6,
i was an associate director, helpin' to run comps up here in L.A. ~ good memories,
b4 i went to play on thee PSAA...

i still remember, when we here in L.A. were still District 3~4,
that Tom's lil' sis had thee bitchin'~est color of eyez i have ever seen,
this said, some 40 year l8er,
hahaha!

i hope that ya get some of this new South swell comin' our way,
in this strangest of yearz, thee summer of 2020!!!

And i hope that pepz who care,
will help donate to Thee Family of a legend,
for what~evez reason you feel, please, just do it!!!
Friends of Pat Curren
Hoppy was a guest at my wedding in May 1986. Not long afterward he dropped dead in the airport heading to a USSF contest. He was exactly my current age at the time. A great guy.

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: ~rwright~

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Living in a trailer with a special needs kid.

Don't special needs kids get disability checks from the State thats enough to cover food and low budget rent?

I hate myself for wondering where the check is going.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
Too busy surfing in Mex, think he would have made at least a few million by now. Has kids on different continents that he must've contributed a fair amount to, come on Tommy help your old Pop out.
I would be very surprised if TC had been able to hang on to his money beyond financing his family.
He needs Fleahab
Well, he is ... 90 freakin' years old. So I'd say every day is a bonus.

Reactions: 2surf

LBInjSurfer

Michael Peterson status
Apr 25, 2002
Maritime Forest, NJ
It's telling the guy running this basically threw it out there to the surf world with no mention of the rest of the Curren family.

Great way this guy to market his brand. I'm sure he's gained plenty of new follows for his Instagram.:cool:
Exactly.

I am all for helping others. I think it is a basic human requirement to help each other out. Not necessarily all the time and for everything, but we as humans need to look out for one another. The current state of world affairs is proof of this. Anyhow, this whole Instagram post and GoFundMe campaign really screams "hey look at me! look what I am doing! etc... and while you're at it, give me a follow and a like!"

Just my 2¢.

Reactions: Driftcoast

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
^^^^^
an interesting point of view, in my humble opinion...
maybe a dude like me, who does not text, an ol' cat who'd rather talk on a phone or in person,
who does not instie~gram nor feel a need to face~book,
should have set up his GoFundMe, right?
pfffft...
:shameonyou:

by thee way:
Friends of Pat Curren

Last edited:

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
^^^^^
an interesting point of view, in my humble opinion...
maybe a dude like me, who does not text, an ol' cat who'd rather talk on a phone or in person,
who does not instie~gram nor feel a need to face~book,
should have set up his GoFundMe, right?
pfffft...
:shameonyou:

by thee way:
Friends of Pat Curren
The guy that started this campaign is doing little to defend the family who appear not to have been consulted before it was started. End result is Mr New York shaper gets lots of Instagram pats on the back while TC his brother and the rest of the family are being called dead beats. No one knows the true story except the family. This guy met Pat a few months ago.

Cant say I would like someone who I don’t know coming around and rubbing my family’s name and affairs in the mud for the entire world to see.

This guy does little to nothing to defend the family against instagrams haters but uses his praying hands emoji in thanks everytime someone piles on the thanks for his generosity.

hanger18

Nep status
Sep 16, 2003
Pacific Beach
I don’t know what to make of all this. It seems it was good intentioned but done without the families permission. Although there is a video of Pat Curren as well thanking people for their generosity. Hopefully the money goes where it should

http://instagr.am/p/CDwMqyln-TL/
The main take away is there's a major roadblock and it's not the Curren family. Pats chick is the issue. Just ask Jim Phillips.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
"a woman approached me and asked if I had built the board I was holding. She said she could tell just by the way I was holding"

if a woman said this to me, my spider senses would be pinging hard.
Yeah, that intro had mine tingling too.

Seems the spidey sense was right.

Maybe that’s a little insight to why the Currens weren’t mentioned or contacted.

Following this on Instagram it’s interesting seeing our hero go from a “help them get back on their feet” approach to now saying “they can spend the 100k however they please”

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
Yeah, that intro had mine tingling too.

Seems the spidey sense was right.

Maybe that’s a little insight to why the Currens weren’t mentioned or contacted.

Following this on Instagram it’s interesting seeing our hero go from a “help them get back on their feet” approach to now saying “they can spend the 100k however they please”
When it smells like sh!t, it's usually sh!t

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018