Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
This is desperately sad news:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
When I was a gremmie, I was fortunate to sit in Buzzy Trents car port on the point of Makaha and listen to Pat, Butch, "fat Art" Perez, Diffenderfer and a few others at different times late into the evenings of there surfing, diving and sailing exploits in California and later on Oahu's north shore and Makaha.

They were loved and respected by the Hawaiian locals and often invited to luau's and local sit around, drink beer and talk story about different locations around Oahu, where it was safe to dive and spear fish, whose name to "drop" so no pilikia (trouble) would arise because they were haole. Greg Noll, would know this with his close ties to his friends, Henry Priest from Oahu's north shore and Kealoha Kai'o, local noth shore fireman and hard charging big wave rider. Buzzy, Pat, Butch Van Artsdalen, "fat Art", Diff were given a hall pass. Buffalo Keaulana and Momi loved these guys when Buff became the lifeguard at Makaha Beach in the early 1960's.

Word throughout the years was that Pat was living in Mexico. Not sure what brought him back to the States. Perhaps a safer destination for his Ohana. If you have the means, drop a few dollars for Pat and his Ohana.
We're all riding on these gentlemans courage, perseverance and dedication to the sport of surfing and how their skills in building and producing surfboards, to where production is today.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
"a woman approached me and asked if I had built the board I was holding. She said she could tell just by the way I was holding"

if a woman said this to me, my spider senses would be pinging hard.

I would be thinking someone wants to lock me in their dungeon.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
From what I've read, Pat always lived life on his terms. A real iconoclast.

Surfing tends to chew up and spit out its heroes. We want them to be like Pat, Tom, Buzzy, Dora, Buttons, Christian etc -- rebels, outsiders, none of that 9 to 5 crap. They built the image that made billions for big corporations. But it rarely ends well.

Although I suspect that having made it to 90 (!!) Pat is probably pretty content, all things considered.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
"a woman approached me and asked if I had built the board I was holding. She said she could tell just by the way I was holding"

if a woman said this to me, my spider senses would be pinging hard.

I would be thinking someone wants to lock me in their dungeon.
I have a centipede that would like to converse with you ~ privately
no need dungeon, brah

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Sad.

but

Sorry, but I'm extremely suspicious.

Where is this money actually going to go?

Plenty of programs to help the homeless in San Diego county - especially for people with special needs kids. And yet somehow no one has directed them there?

Throwing 100k at people with special needs kids who have chosen to live in a parking lot for whatever reason seems like a pretty sketchy - and maybe outright irresponsible - idea to me.

No room at Tom's house either? Or is there a good reason there is no room at Tom's house?

Are there some essential details being left out of this story...maybe ongoing substance abuse issues, mental illness, legal issues, etc? Because that's significant.

As of yesterday the homeless lot in Encinitas was only at 60% capacity: https://www.encinitasadvocate.com/news/story/2020-08-09/space-available-at-homeless-parking-lot-in-encinitas

They don't need 100K, they need to be directed to community resources. Also, did the GoFundMe writer take the time to hook Pat up with the dental care he needs (there are free services out there for people who qualify)?

100K comes after people have shown direction.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
When I was a gremmie, I was fortunate to sit in Buzzy Trents car port on the point of Makaha and listen to Pat, Butch, "fat Art" Perez, Diffenderfer and a few others at different times late into the evenings of there surfing, diving and sailing exploits in California and later on Oahu's north shore and Makaha.

They were loved and respected by the Hawaiian locals and often invited to luau's and local sit around, drink beer and talk story about different locations around Oahu, where it was safe to dive and spear fish, whose name to "drop" so no pilikia (trouble) would arise because they were haole. Greg Noll, would know this with his close ties to his friends, Henry Priest from Oahu's north shore and Kealoha Kai'o, local noth shore fireman and hard charging big wave rider. Buzzy, Pat, Butch Van Artsdalen, "fat Art", Diff were given a hall pass. Buffalo Keaulana and Momi loved these guys when Buff became the lifeguard at Makaha Beach in the early 1960's.

Word throughout the years was that Pat was living in Mexico. Not sure what brought him back to the States. Perhaps a safer destination for his Ohana. If you have the means, drop a few dollars for Pat and his Ohana.
We're all riding on these gentlemans courage, perseverance and dedication to the sport of surfing and how their skills in building and producing surfboards, to where production is today.
Last I read(TSJ?) Pat was in Baja and shaping beautiful Agave guns?
Surfing’s history is important. Thank you Peter.
Donation sent.

Reactions: Maz and ~rwright~

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
I don't know the details, but when Tom was growing up it was his mom that we would see taking him surfing. Dad wasn't around. I remember one of the CI team guys telling me his mom used to take him to a trainer and make him work out. This is pre NSSA days. Pat wasn't around. That's not that extreme now, but back then it was unheard of. I suspect Mom was the enabler of his success.

My father knew most of that generation. He'd go down and surf with those guys at the tip. Stay with the Hoffmans. Pat was there living in a trailer I believe. At his age now he may have had to return to the States for medical care. It sounds like he pretty much lived his life on his own terms. Nobody gets out alive and the end is generally ugly. We've all got it coming.

I also seriously doubt that Tom is sitting on a giant pile of money. Surf "stardom" wasn't exactly the NBA back then. Or now for that matter.

Last edited:

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Alcoholics in general make bad parents.
~snip~
:beer:
Hmmmm...
From what i recall, from my studies @ Venice High School in thee l8 70's,
they DO NOT teach teenagers how to be parents! Do they do so now~a~days?
Or did they, you school teachers who erBB, did you/your kind, do so, back in the '50's/'60's?
I doubt it...

So it'z always been,
it's allll up to you, you youngsters, ya boyz+girlz,
to figure/go figure, it out, how best to parent...

How many of you whom erBB grew up in a 'Leave It to Beaver' household?
Were not most of you born to parents who were drunk thee night you were conceived,
parents might have also smoked pot, did drugs, raised you, allll illegal to do back then/still now?
Or were you all just raised perfectly?
Hmmmm...

Most dudes i know just wanna get laid,
+ thee kidz just happened, for ooops, your chick is prego, + now you getta be a daddy now, right?
Who knows what kinda chick Tom's Mommy was waaay back then,
obvie she made Pat C, her dude, miserable enough, to then need to split...
My opinion only, and as so, indeed, your opinion, may vary!

PS ~ i 1st sorta met TC, his Mommy, sister too,
waaay back when WSA District 4, err {Los Angeles},
was called WSA District 3+4, ~ {Santa Barbara/Ventura+Los Angeles},
which ran by a black dude, a foundin' member of Thee BSA, dude with a name of David Lansdowne,
this before Jeanie Curren, {Pat's old chick + Tom's mommy}
broke away from L.A. + formed WSA District 3, {in 1980?},
prior to the PT/Ian Cairns + NSSA...

Pic below shows 1981 Venice loc'+US Boyz Champ Solo Scott walkin' next to David Lansdowne, blue fullsuit, far right.
Tom Curren had been a US Boyz Champ a few years earlier before Solo, + me, i still sometimes proudly proclaim whilst conversin' with newer surf crew that i got my 1st surf trophy by beatin' Tom Curren in a WSA District 3+4 comp up @ Santa Clara Rivermouth Oct. 79' when he had moved up into Juniors Division, hahaha...
BSA.jpg
:waving:

Last edited:
Reactions: Beerbelly

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
Things get weird when you abandon your wife and kids.
And i know, from sooo many of my friendz,
that sometimes beee~itches become such c**ts that a dude has to bail!
Right???
:cool:

vvvvv
PS ~ Heya GWS_2,
just a generalization,
for what makes a dude leave a beautiful woman, his kid/kidz?
Not just 'thee bottle', in my humble opinion...

PSS ~ EDIT Add-In: Finally!
I Found IT! 1 of my favorite surf flickz, called 'WaterLogged',
This, another Bruce Brown movie, a compilation, is made up from footage of his 1st 4 films,
before he created his classic movie 'Endless Summer', allll which played on a big screen, with the gatherin' of 'Thee Tribe'!!!
There's some q~ued up footage of a young Pat Curren in this film, thee dude, back then, has a bottle, ah~hahaha!
i'm out, gotta go back in time, gonna spend an hour or so my my last years
re~watchin some early surf footage, in this ol' classic surf movie, again,
for it will sure~ly beat watchin' yesterdays footage of that 'Rumble @ Ke11y's Ranch'
in my humble opinion
l8z, rw
:bowdown:

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Alcoholism is a sign that the person has unusual Superpowers.

The challenge for the alcoholic is to develop them and not give into the dark side of the force.

I'm not joking.

I got no super powers.

I couldn't be an alcoholic if I tried.

I can only do opiates for a day or two before my bowels shut down so I can't be a junkie neither.

NOT FAIR!

Instead I am just a humble state worker.

Writing my poems at night and showing no-one.

Okay, sometimes I show them here.

But just to be annoying, :dancing:

Last edited: