Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
How is hre the most famous and I've never heard of him?
Been running his shop in Newport RI since he got too fucked up on LSD to even make it to the og Woodstock. They got as far as NJ where they bought some boards and headed home. Boards got sold and Water Bros was born.
1638503668531.jpeg
His antics especially when he was still partying are legendary ala his shenanigans at trade shows not to mention what went on in town or related to his punk band Big World.
1638503785897.jpeg
Very good friends with Derek Hynd.
1638503736385.jpeg
Every pro surfer/skater passing through would stop to pay homage to the man. And he was and still is the man. A legit freak of nature who I’m honored to have known for the time I did. He took an instant shine to me the first time I set foot in the shop when since they had the most epic collection of VHS surf flicks ever I asked if he had anything with some dank Hakman, BK, Dane Keoloha, Wayne Lynch etc footy and not Momentum. Sid now had someone to talk about bitd who knew about and respected the surfing/accomplishments of the old school at a time when no one cared about anyone but the latest crop of pros.

I loved dropping by the shop for no other reason than some sort of hilarious scene would be going down. Even if Sid wasn’t there. He always hired the best shop rats. My favorite was this young dude with dreads Dustin who I christened Dusted because. And if Sid was there good times were guaranteed.
1638504154727.jpeg

And if you were really really lucky, Dennis the Cabby would be in the house.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Hell yea legend!
I was really stoked to see him get the props he deserves from Beachgrit. He fought the law and won everyone the right to surf Ruggles.

Speaking of Ruggles after snorkeling there one fine fall afternoon to see if there weren’t any of the rumored “tropical“ fish around (there was) but mainly to scope out the reef. I got the impression that it could handle some really serious size. So then I gotta ask the Package. Hey Sid, Ruggles will never close out? Nope. What’s the biggest you’ve ever seen it? In the winter, to the horizon.

Last edited:
What was the surf video that had "Pray for Me in It" ? Love that song and wish it was on some other platform other than youtube. Did Big World ever put out anything other than that 7 inch record???

toPBk

Miki Dora status
Mar 27, 2002
North Pacific Beach, CA
Grew up in the original shop. Dude's a icon and friend to so many. part animal + part machine = The package (not sure why "idiot"). Looking forward to full vid release. Choki .. MB?