Parents with kids that surf...

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Is yew code for jew?

As in "jewwax?"

As in the wax is made out of melted jews?

Where are your material being sourced?

The Middle East?

I hear the dogwhistle and I must answer.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Goddamn this x 1000.

We had to ditch school for swell and suffer the consequences. Now these little punks are homeschooled, show up during weekdays with filmers and coaches, and clog the lineups.
Don’t get me wrong on the one hand I love that more kids in general are surfing, surfing in that respect deserves to be shared.

One the other what it didn’t need was for a bunch of people to start companies whose business model depended on getting as many adults surfing as possible so they could buy their clothes, etc.

Bob McKnight urged the surf industry on the need to “grow the pond” back in 2004 at SIMA. We all know now how that worked out…

He and his fellow surfing lifestyle pimps are the ones that deserve the blame.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
He should hook up with the phisix guy.

Let’s face it, if it was cbd infused wax some of you (hi subway) would be looking for investment opportunities/buying it.

• Haha
Reactions: Autoprax and Subway

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
About 10 years ago I was out at Steamer Lane on a really small, sunny afternoon. Maybe waist-high, about as small as you can surf it. Uncharacteristically there were only a few people out. There was some dad there teaching his son how to surf. He was pushing the kid into every wave, right in front of people, saying stuff like "Go, go, don't worry about that guy..." No problem, there was only about 5 guys out on longboards and it was super mellow and he was just a little kid and it was good vibes all around. Still, I remember wondering at the time about the etiquette lessons that dad was teaching his little kid.

That kid is probably 18 or 20 now. I wonder what he's like in the water?

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Put my son on his first board when he was 7 or 8. Taught him the ‘rules of the water’ In the early 1980s and watched his love of the water grow exponentially. Growing up in a beach community he held jobs at Sunset Surfboard, OleO’s Pizza, Hansens, etc. My work had me on planes to different Continents almost every other week. I had 4 million miles on my AA Platinum card. I made a deal with my son, I told him he needed to bring me straight A‘s on his report card just once when he was a sophomore in high school, I would reward his efforts with a plane ticket to any surf spot on the planet And he had to save his $ from his odd jobs to cover ground expenses. He managed straight A’s in his senior year and was rewarded with a ticket to Eastern and Western Australia for a 3 or 4 week Safari down under. Took about $700 cash for expenses but came home with about $400 (stayed with local Australian surfers he met in the water). The big picture I hoped to accomplish was to get him focused on studies for the ‘bonus’ and despite not reaching th goal until his final year, his efforts brought his GPA up enough to get him into UCSD. Made him the same offer in college but with a twist. Bring home straight A’s each year and he would get another ticket to surf where ever. He was on the Dean’s List every year. Surfed Mauritius, La Reunion, J Bay, France/Spain, Australia again, Panama, Israel, Peru, Tonga and so forth. His graduating GPA put him in the top 5% of his department and he was hired right out of college! His two grom‘s picked up on our love of the ocean and surfing so, it’s up to him to figure out a grades bonus down the road.

Last edited:

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
man the 90's were so different than today's surf world. Blows my mind. Pain, rashes, cold, low level fear of older surfers etc...It was a little rougher, but you learned how to deal with so much discomfort, and even embrace it, and some of us anyway became stronger more confident surfers and people. Now? i don't know WTF. "Yew" surf wax for children? just take me out behind the barn and shoot me
The only difference between the 90's and today, is that back then, I had all my hair, and got the best set waves

• Haha
Reactions: hammies

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I guess a lot of us grew up in different times. As a teenager, my parents hated the fact that I was a surfer. I was one of those "no good, pot smoking deadbeats".

Surfing had a negative stigma. We were the bad guys. You didn't want to let your boss know that you were a surfer.

Now surfing is socially acceptable. Every yuppie, doctor, lawyer surfs and drives around in an Audi SUV with surf racks.

From bad to worse IMO. And pushing your kids into it. It's like Little League these days.

Surfing has been completely commercialized and pvssified.
It's funny. My mom was from Germany and she just did not comprehend the obsession with suburban soccer in the US. Surfing was fine. It was soccer she considered to be for low class trash as that was what it was back where she grew up. No commentary about little league, pop warner but soccer... :roflmao:

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
It's funny. My mom was from Germany and she just did not comprehend the obsession with suburban soccer in the US. Surfing was fine. It was soccer she considered to be for low class trash as that was what it was back where she grew up. No commentary about little league, pop warner but soccer... :roflmao:
Hooligans dude.

• Haha
Reactions: Kento and 000

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
About 10 years ago I was out at Steamer Lane on a really small, sunny afternoon. Maybe waist-high, about as small as you can surf it. Uncharacteristically there were only a few people out. There was some dad there teaching his son how to surf. He was pushing the kid into every wave, right in front of people, saying stuff like "Go, go, don't worry about that guy..." No problem, there was only about 5 guys out on longboards and it was super mellow and he was just a little kid and it was good vibes all around. Still, I remember wondering at the time about the etiquette lessons that dad was teaching his little kid.

That kid is probably 18 or 20 now. I wonder what he's like in the water?
There was some young kid out with his dad and he was going after every wave that was coming in.

I paddled away from them to wait my turn at the next peak up for when my wave came. So here comes my wave right to me. I'm all by myself.

I see the kid paddling furiously over toward the wave. I'm thinking is he really going to back paddle on this wave after I moved away from him?

Yes, he is.

I stuffed him so hard.

Something I would never do normally if people are taking their turn.

When I kicked out the dad and the kid were staring at me.

But not saying anything.

I was like, Yes? Would you like to say something.

Neither did.

The kid settled down after that.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I've gotten spammed to death for putting items in my Yew!!! cart and then leaving, even after unsubscribing. Abandon cart emails over and over. Screw that website.