panda shiitake HP

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Do you think you're feeling the paddling benefits of the hull/chine portions of the tri hull maybe?

my anecdotal experience is that my wave catching became much easier when i started putting a little belly or v right in the entry, compared to concave from the nose back.
I also have a 7' CJ Nelson Outlier which has a rolled entry/bottom and it paddles like a slug in the flats compared to the 3 other boards I mentioned. Catches waves well enough though and has good speed on the wave if it has push.
The two tri-plane bottomed boards feel like hydronamic marvels paddling in the flats. The big DVS also feels excellent but it's comparing a 7'4" carbon/eps fish to a 5'10" eps/paulownia/flax fish and 5'8" eps/flax mini-Simmons so very apples to oranges.
A pump of the front foot on the 5'10" fish gives it crazy bursts of speed.

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
I also have a 7' CJ Nelson Outlier which has a rolled entry/bottom and it paddles like a slug in the flats compared to the 3 other boards I mentioned. Catches waves well enough though and has good speed on the wave if it has push.
The two tri-plane bottomed boards feel like hydronamic marvels paddling in the flats. The big DVS also feels excellent but it's comparing a 7'4" carbon/eps fish to a 5'10" eps/paulownia/flax fish and 5'8" eps/flax mini-Simmons so very apples to oranges.
A pump of the front foot on the 5'10" fish gives it crazy bursts of speed.
How's that Outlier paddle into the small stuff, like knee/ thigh? Picked up a used one, have yet to ride it.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
My Adreini Hull and Mandella Fish, which I think is also a rolled entry, both very noticeably pick up waves and feel like you are nearly being pulled forward.

Is anybody riding the Shtake? let's hear how it goes

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
They are actually pretty fun for the average middle age bro. Got a 6.4 and a 6.8 Shiitake I really like. Can be surf at longer lengths…Easy paddler, forgiving and easy to surf. HP enough for this old man. Works in peaky beach breaks or reefs…versatile

May get a 6.6 in the future
difference in ride feel between hp and regular shiitake?

Oct 25, 2019
I’m in the process of ordering a shittake and the shaper Blake’s distinction between the two is that the OG is essentially a mid length feel and the HP is more of a short board feel.

He rides a 5’10 short board, and a 6’6 OG, and rides a 5’10 and 6’2 HP.

Reckons the OG should be ridden longer and surfed more casual. HP more dynamic.

Reactions: Havoc