Panama!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Where Ol' Subby is looking, there is some recession factor in the underlying asset with the cycle. In terms of rental income, his target market will get a new Range Rover every third year instead of every second year. There will be a boatload of people retiring and Vero has way less of a winter than even Daytona just an hour and a half up the road.

Those of you looking at the Silverbacks shot...imho that's a bodyboarding wave. At some point you are about to get Keala Kennelly'd face first off the bottom and you're better off throwing inverted airs out of that thing prone than simply trying to survive your nose catching or fins slipping on your feet. Sponging San-O doesn't seem to make sense to me either.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Word. If we had kids we would still be just dandy but yeah, subtract 2.2 million per kid over the 22+ years to raise each one, there would be no talk of early retirement
Wait a minute here. 100k per kid per year? Two hundred thousand American dollars a year to raise 2 kids? GetenziDaFuckOuttahere.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Wait a minute here. 100k per kid per year? Two hundred thousand American dollars a year to raise 2 kids? GetenziDaFuckOuttahere.
That sounds a bit high, but if I had secondary property 3BR oceanfront condo in Vero money my kids would be going to Phillips Exeter and from there to Harvard/Yale/Stanford etc.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
That sounds a bit high, but if I had secondary property 3BR oceanfront condo in Vero money my kids would be going to Phillips Exeter and from there to Harvard/Yale/Stanford etc.
To each his own. I took my kids surfing. They both have their own kids. It seems to have worked out, they mostly enjoy the same thing as adults that they were exposed to as kids. Everyone’s priorities are different.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
To each his own. I took my kids surfing. They both have their own kids. It seems to have worked out, they mostly enjoy the same thing as adults that they were exposed to as kids. Everyone’s priorities are different.
There's not many Ivy Leaguers as a per capita subset of Gringo surfers on the 3rd world surf trail instead of spending their 20s working 14 hour days at Goldman, but it's sure as sh!t non-zero.

I mean I think I had every opportunity as a garden-variety Gen X slacker who went to public school 3rd grade to Bachelors, but there is no question elite private schools are better, and your kid is in the room. My chance of being in the room being the poorest kid in a decent neighborhood in Vero was way higher than median, but non-existent compared to the private school much less one of the many very legit schools in Subway's region.

Subway's kid would be in the room from the jump. Some families in Vero had generational wealth. The better private schools in the Northeast, it's institutional wealth. Families that have been name brands for centuries.

If that's your world and you have the means, the decision starts to look simple.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Leaverite would have used 1/10th the amount of words in 7x as many posts
Yes but those few words packed in all those post would have been filled with wisdom about paying one's dues and the difficulties that come with and inheritance and the fact that trump is still the liberals' president.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
There's not many Ivy Leaguers as a per capita subset of Gringo surfers on the 3rd world surf trail instead of spending their 20s working 14 hour days at Goldman, but it's sure as sh!t non-zero.

I mean I think I had every opportunity as a garden-variety Gen X slacker who went to public school 3rd grade to Bachelors, but there is no question elite private schools are better, and your kid is in the room. My chance of being in the room being the poorest kid in a decent neighborhood in Vero was way higher than median, but non-existent compared to the private school much less one of the many very legit schools in Subway's region.

Subway's kid would be in the room from the jump. Some families in Vero had generational wealth. The better private schools in the Northeast, it's institutional wealth. Families that have been name brands for centuries.

If that's your world and you have the means, the decision starts to look simple.
Smart money says subway was in the room from jump too.

Not judging.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Yes but those few words packed in all those post would have been filled with wisdom about paying one's dues and the difficulties that come with and inheritance and the fact that trump is still the liberals' president.
It's hard, man. You've got to drive down the 101 with courteous motorists using the passing lane for passing only. You need low tide. Then you have to check it and confirm it's completely firing off its gourd on a "flat" day.

You have to walk, for like, more than a straight line from your parking spot to the water's edge, to have an entire sandbar to yourself.

Then, you have to jump in the obvious crease between bars, or wait for the 2-3 perfect waves that rifle off every 8 minutes, with a lake-flat geezer soaking pool in between, to get into position. By yourself. And then, you have to make a choice, selecting one of only three perfect waves. With nobody even on the same sandbar as you.

Central Florida couldn't hack it. They'd have to spend money on booties. And gloves. And real Mexican food post-surf.

Soft ass East Coasters...they can't drink fancy wine. They can't eat Dungeness crab.

Recreation is hard on those streets. The struggle is real.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Smart money says subway was in the room from jump too.

Not judging.
Respectfully disagree but based on nothing but a hunch, imho smart money says Subway had the opportunity to earn his way from middle to upper middle class+, now within striking distance of potential children having this from the jump. My guess is, Subway and I were similar. We had it easy relative to median, but we bused the tables in the fancy place these kids' families owned. Appreciated the work, the opportunity to earn a dollar, and them bro'ing it out for us.

This is a huge thing in the tri-state area. Most people in my high school though UF was hot sh!t. My extended family thought it was dog sh!t. Grandma came over from Italy a toddler in the early 20s. My dad and his uncle grew up on the fold out couch in 1940s Bronx. I graduated with 0 debt. My cousins and now their kids went to/are going to fancy schools, Brown, Yale, Northwestern... This story is repeated with 1880s-1920s era families originally from Ireland, Italy, Poland, etc. all over North Jersey, NYC/LI, SW Connecticut... It's just as prevalent as wealthy Southerners of English descent going back to the 16/1700s.

Maybe making your kid shape, surf without a leash, etc. in a place like La Jolla or Point Loma is analogous?

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I love this place

i was born with every opportunity for top schools and took it and ultimately ran with it, and am enjoying the fruits of that, sharing a lot, and working my ass off. Yeah those schools are a ticket to the game but my family's CENTURIES of affluence and influence ended with my grandfather. one branch of the tree goes back to the second group after the Mayflower group. I am named after one of them, he was the second governor of the Plymouth bay colony (his wife’ poetry being Far more famous over the centuries) And many of you know of the 19th century modest fame of Richard Henry Dana. My dad, when his dad passed many years ago, inherited just enough to clear some sizable debts, buy a decent home, and two professional parents and the decades long real estate boom in our area helped put my sister and I thorough the best schools. But that was the end of the family money. I inherited nothing financial and we grew up comfortably middle class, with two very smart and loving parents (probably the most important factor in my relative success). My father died with a social security check, a $4000 monthly VA check, and, he still handled the portfolios of a few old, aging friends/clients. I did inherit some dope ass family heirlooms and a little art (nothing of significant financial value, unless I sold literally everything)

thats my story. No, Subway was not my ancestral handle

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Bussed a LOT of tables in the Hampton’s growing up lol. And spent it all on wine women and weed

Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Word. If we had kids we would still be just dandy but yeah, subtract 2.2 million per kid over the 22+ years to raise each one, there would be no talk of early retirement
For sure. If I do, I’m throwing them to the wolves at HS graduation. No mercy.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I love this place

i was born with every opportunity for top schools and took it and ultimately ran with it, and am enjoying the fruits of that, sharing a lot, and working my ass off. Yeah those schools are a ticket to the game but my families CENTURIES of affluence and influence ended with my grandfather. one branch of the tree does back to the second group after the Mayflower group. And many of you know of the 19th century modest fame of Richard Henry Dana. My dad, when his dad passed many years ago, inheritedjustb enough to clear some sizable debts, buy a decent home, and two professional parents and the decades long real estate boon in our area helped out my sister and I thorough the best schools. But that was the end of the family money. I inherited nothing financial however. My father died with a social security check, a $4000 monthly VA check, he still handled the portfolios of a few old, aging friends/clients. I did inherit some dope ass family heirlooms and a little art (nothing of significant financial value, unless I sold literally everything)
You're dead to me you WASP-ass Blair Waldorf Van Dusen MF!!!!!

Fkn native.

j/k you're good people

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Being a tri-state transplant to Florida is also an American archetype now.

I know we have some Californian erBBers whose families have lived in 3+ countries and haven't moved in 200+ years.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I love this place

i was born with every opportunity for top schools and took it and ultimately ran with it, and am enjoying the fruits of that, sharing a lot, and working my ass off. Yeah those schools are a ticket to the game but my family's CENTURIES of affluence and influence ended with my grandfather. one branch of the tree goes back to the second group after the Mayflower group. I am named after one of them, he was the second governor of the Plymouth bay colony (his wife’ poetry being Far more famous over the centuries) And many of you know of the 19th century modest fame of Richard Henry Dana. My dad, when his dad passed many years ago, inherited just enough to clear some sizable debts, buy a decent home, and two professional parents and the decades long real estate boom in our area helped put my sister and I thorough the best schools. But that was the end of the family money. I inherited nothing financial and we grew up comfortably middle class, with two very smart and loving parents (probably the most important factor in my relative success). My father died with a social security check, a $4000 monthly VA check, and, he still handled the portfolios of a few old, aging friends/clients. I did inherit some dope ass family heirlooms and a little art (nothing of significant financial value, unless I sold literally everything)

thats my story. No, Subway was not my ancestral handle
You should have gone to Panama.