Pain Thresholds

Nov 20, 2008
Good evening world
I write to you out of desperation and looking for distraction
Patrolman- hope you are doing better- I’m from your area and we share careers, but I’m a lurker at heart, but willing to make changes..?
Currently in the Shargri-la hotel in Koala Lumpur at the tail end of my summer travels with my lady, and daughter.
The Carlsberg and Norco are not even denting the pain In my ankle, it’s all I can do to keep the tears in and wailing; tried deep breathing meditation visualization ice elevation and now at the desperation state where I type into an iPad to nobody in particular.
8 hours ago I had 25miilion MSC (stem cells) delivered from Wharton’s Jelly (umbilical cord derived) into a bad ankle.
The clinic was recommended by a good friend, and was clean and modern, and seemed legit/ as much as a non dr from the other side of the world could deduce.
I left the hospital on crutches and feeling hopeful.
Kaiser P, at home, left me with options of fusion and total replacement TAR
F- that
So hear I am
7:30 at night
25mg in and 2 beers later and still feel like I’ve got a badly broken ankle. Wtf
Those of you thatve broken bones know the pain: super bad, going to dull throbbing, going back to jolts of super pain upon any movement. Thank heaven for my patient lady, and headphones for the little one, cuz she’d be hearing me speak a new language by now.
I think it’s the worst and most prolonged pain I’ve ever felt, and I’ve broken many bones and had more surgeries than I care to share right now.
So as I suffer here from my own choices, maybe someone can share a story about your worst pain ever
It’s gonna be a sleepless night

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Sorry to hear... One way to help reduce the pain/throbbing is to elevate the injury above your heart if possible (lying on your back with a pillow under the injured ankle). Another possible way to reduce the pain is to have your lady get to a pharmacy and buy a tube of Voltaren Gel, 3% or whatever they may have on the shelves (it's across the counter most everywhere except the USA which requires a prescription). Voltaren is a strong ibuprofen that when rubbed over the injured joint or bone, relief (varying degree depending on the patient) it usually starts working with in several minutes. It will not work in 'fatty' or muscled areas (like hip, shoulder, etc). Good luck, I don't envy the plane ride home where you're unable to elevate the injury..

This isn't educated medical advice, I'm not a doctor, I am only passing along what has worked fo my family and me with similar injuries, arthritis, etc...

Nov 20, 2008
Thanks, man
I tried elevating and icing...
You are the guy with the crazy physical fitness, right..
Thanks for taking the time

That was the longest night of my life.
Heading to Physical therapy in a few minutes
The thought of lowering my ankle and a bumpy taxi ride has me sweating in panic
Telling myself many people have it much worse, but it is really hard to imagine.
Wtf
Stem cells in a badly arthritic joint may promote some healing but the pain is not to be taken lightly
4K for this? My mantra is no pain no gain but it’s not really helping.
It’s a near religious experience in detachment and the nature of time and existence.
Malaysia is a long fricken way from home.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I've lived a relatively pain free life. So far the most painful thing I've ever experienced was a needle in my foot in preparation for minor foot surgery. Short lived but excuciating. Like your worst dental needle X20. Just off the charts pain. Then it was over.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
GromsDad said:
I've lived a relatively pain free life. So far the most painful thing I've ever experienced was a needle in my foot in preparation for minor foot surgery. Short lived but excuciating. Like your worst dental needle X20. Just off the charts pain. Then it was over.
I had a lidocaine shot in the bottom of my foot a couple weeks ago (did it myself). Holy fuckk!

To the OP...

Make friends with your pain. It’s there for you. Accept it’s love and use it as your reward. Redirect the negative aspects of pain and make it your savior, you muse, your one true partner.

Nov 20, 2008
Duffy said:
Make friends with your pain. It’s there for you. Accept it’s love and use it as your reward. Redirect the negative aspects of pain and make it your savior, you muse, your one true partner.
That’s some Jedi / Sensei mind control tactics right there, man
Easier said than done, but totally worth the effort if you can embrace it.
Just getting back from the physio on the other side of town. Asian traffic in the cities, bumpy roads and stop and go aggressivel driving was my partner and muse!
The doctors agreed that my advanced osteoarthritis was causing more pain than ‘normal’
But the extensive pain is only a sign of all that damage inside that was beginning the healing process
More pain = More healing
Fear and Loathing Pain and Healing in KL
Thanks, gentlemen

Pig Benis

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 16, 2002
The "more pain more healing" thing smells of bullsheet.

Ask them for prophylactic antibiotics. Who knows what they injected into you.

I hope it turns out well for you. I investigated the treatments myself a few years back. My impression was the concept shows promise for the future, but there are a lot of shysters out there injecting god knows what into anything that walks through the door with cash in their wallet.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I had a lidocaine shot in the bottom of my foot a couple weeks ago (did it myself). Holy fuckk!

To the OP...

Pain is the nervous system signaling you of a threat.

Your nervous system is fallible so you have figure out if it's over reacting to something or identifying a legitimate threat.

I had a fried who had back pain and he just lived with it and it was spinal cancer. He's dead now.

Injuries take longer than we want them to heal.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Pain is the nervous system signaling you of a threat.

Your nervous system is fallible so you have figure out if it's over reacting to something or identifying a legitimate threat.

I had a fried who had back pain and he just lived with it and it was spinal cancer. He's dead now.

Injuries take longer than we want them to heal.
Or......Pain is an unreasonable summation of a nerve input. It shouldn't be ignored, but it's also important to take a second and take a realistic view of what it happening, slow down and figure out what you can do, and just do that plus more as pain allows. Rest is a prescription for continued pain and additional neurological disorder.

But if your ankle is broken you should really get it fixed.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I've noticed that pain will tell me when I need to seek medical help.

Every time I've broken something, it's been, I need to go to the emergency room now.

Your NS is pretty good at telling you what is wrong if you listen to it.

Nov 20, 2008
Thanks for asking, gentlemen.

Scroll to the end for cliff-notes
Where to begin?
Still got my leg, no amputation, no elk semen.
I’m a 48 yo male that broke his ankle badly 30 years ago.
Two surgeries back then to place hardware, then to remove.
Fast forward 20 years and I’m diagnosed with post traumatic osteoarthritis, with an impingement.
X rays, cortisone rounds, Hyaluronic acid, PT, orthotics....
Then about 5 years ago an arthroscopic debridement to clean up bone spurs and tweaked cartilage.
Healing sucked. This procedure was a mistake, In Retrospect.
CT scans and MRI post debridement showed more extensive ligament damage than I knew existed. Left me super pissed at the doctor for not ordering the MRI before the scope.
More time passes and I’m surfing less. Not so much fun when your recreation becomes a source of discomfort. But sh!t, I can still make it happen when I’m feeling it. Max dosages of Mobic 15mg a day, and low doses of hydrocodon keep me off the couch.

At the end of my summer travels in Asia, I found myself committing to an expensive, semi experimental stem cell therapy. It wasn’t the purpose of the vacation, but timing and circumstances put me there. I do have a good friend that highly recommended the clinic and the procedure. He was a repeat client, but he went in for his knees, not ankle.

So it’s been 4 months.
The healing has been slow and painful. But
I’m definitely better now than I was pre stem-cells.
And I feel like the trend is continued improvement.
I got $7.00 xrays in PL prior , Kaiser xrays 2 weeks post, and will get more in 6 months.
So maybe an opportunity to do my own scientific research.