Paging Dr. VonMeister...

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The best way to address a common case of shoulder tendinitis is to PROPERLY overhead press with a barbell, beginning with light weights and higher rep ranges, and increasing the weight while lowering the rep range over time. Once the subjective amount of relief is realized, begin to train your shoulders for strength because going through life like a weak female is only going to cause more issues.
What would you suggest to someone who can't PROPERLY overhead press? Right now with my bad shoulder, when I press, the bar is about 4-6 inches in front of vertical with respect to my spine. Any further back and my shoulder's in pain. Would it be better not to press? Is there an alternative? My shoulder hurts equally when I get into position to do the low bar squat but after a few warm up sets it starts to ease up. S should I keep trying and work my way towards a proper press? That is, do them as "properly as I can" even if they are improper and gradually try to improve?

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
What would you suggest to someone who can't PROPERLY overhead press? Right now with my bad shoulder, when I press, the bar is about 4-6 inches in front of vertical with respect to my spine. Any further back and my shoulder's in pain. Would it be better not to press? Is there an alternative? My shoulder hurts equally when I get into position to do the low bar squat but after a few warm up sets it starts to ease up. S should I keep trying and work my way towards a proper press? That is, do them as "properly as I can" even if they are improper and gradually try to improve?
i have the same issue, u can try hanging for a few months and see if it helps. otherwise narrow grip bench as a sub. i think they make a 15 lb barbell for u to use.

• Haha
Reactions: One-Off

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
I bought the 15 pound Texas Strength SS bar for that purpose....plus it's the only 15 pound bar that will fit in a rack.

I would start with a broomstick and see if you can find a way into the position. At rest the bar should be under your chin. On the way up it should remain in a perfect vertical plane...so you extend your spine from top to bottom to create room. If by doing this you can't press the bar up vertically on plane you need to work into the position. I don't believe hanging does anything physical but it is a mental cue that you can access the position once you relax.

I would try to incline press if you have an adjustable bench with a closer than standard grip....A bit inside shoulder width. Once you complete three sets of ten at a manageable weight try and OHP an empty bar or even a broom stick. You likely will be able to rest relatively pain free at that point and will have to repeat this for a few weeks before being able to just press. Let me know if that helps.

Reactions: Havoc

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
So you don't recommend pressing improperly? Better to use a broomstick or empty bar properly?

I have been improperly pressing 75 pounds 3 sets 8. I guess I pay less attention to form with the press because it doesn't seem as potentially damaging as deadlifting a large amount (of toddler) weight.

Downside of weight lifting? I'm starting to get rashes from my wetsuit. I think because I've bulked up a bit.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
what r u using for an incline bench vm?

can feet elevated pushups be used as a substitute?
They never were for me. Pushups were always hard on my shoulders. I need be to strong to do them and not get hurt. Same with dips.

I bought this cheap one on amazon.

It's in my back yard rusting because its the Beach but I don't care because it's cheap.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
i have the same issue, u can try hanging for a few months and see if it helps. otherwise narrow grip bench as a sub. i think they make a 15 lb barbell for u to use.
I put the laughing emoji because I thought you were giving me shiite again about toddler weights. Judging form VM's post, you were serious.

Well, my shoulder's getting an unwanted rest from surfing this weekend. Surf is pure garbage around here.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
i want this one but the wife won't let me buy anymore gym equipment after dropping $5k+ on a garage gym lol

cheap ones u r just throwing money away

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I put the laughing emoji because I thought you were giving me shiite again about toddler weights. Judging form VM's post, you were serious.

Well, my shoulder's getting an unwanted rest from surfing this weekend. Surf is pure garbage around here.
Don't worry about lifting light.

You just need to stimulate positive adaption. If you are weak light weight will do the trick.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My girl friend will pick up a long single stand of hair in my car that doesn't match hers and say "Who's hair is this?"

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I bought the 15 pound Texas Strength SS bar for that purpose....plus it's the only 15 pound bar that will fit in a rack.

I would start with a broomstick and see if you can find a way into the position. At rest the bar should be under your chin. On the way up it should remain in a perfect vertical plane...so you extend your spine from top to bottom to create room. If by doing this you can't press the bar up vertically on plane you need to work into the position. I don't believe hanging does anything physical but it is a mental cue that you can access the position once you relax.

I would try to incline press if you have an adjustable bench with a closer than standard grip....A bit inside shoulder width. Once you complete three sets of ten at a manageable weight try and OHP an empty bar or even a broom stick. You likely will be able to rest relatively pain free at that point and will have to repeat this for a few weeks before being able to just press. Let me know if that helps.
Why can't he just use dumbbells in a parallel grip?
I have some shoulder pain and this worked pretty well. Now I'm back to the straight bar.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Why can't he just use dumbbells in a parallel grip?
I have some shoulder pain and this worked pretty well. Now I'm back to the straight bar.
He could but I didn't know he had dumbbells. I would still recommend a bar of some sort. Dumbbells, by not being fixed allow for too much leverage on the shoulder.

Reactions: PRCD

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
So you don't recommend pressing improperly? Better to use a broomstick or empty bar properly?

I have been improperly pressing 75 pounds 3 sets 8. I guess I pay less attention to form with the press because it doesn't seem as potentially damaging as deadlifting a large amount (of toddler) weight.

Downside of weight lifting? I'm starting to get rashes from my wetsuit. I think because I've bulked up a bit.
I would recommend dumping the weight to something you can do three sets of 25 with. As pain allows reduce number of reps and increase weight until you are able to get back to where you were. Weight jumps should be minimal. I would train this 3-4 days per week and add 2 pounds or less every training day and try and hit the same level of fatigue using volume variation as the fatigue limiter. It would probably be somewhere around 0-5 sets reduction every time you add weight. Play the long game here. Soft tissue injuries take time to heal.

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I would recommend dumping the weight to something you can do three sets of 25 with. As pain allows reduce number of reps and increase weight until you are able to get back to where you were. Weight jumps should be minimal. I would train this 3-4 days per week and add 2 pounds or less every training day and try and hit the same level of fatigue using volume variation as the fatigue limiter. It would probably be somewhere around 0-5 sets reduction every time you add weight. Play the long game here. Soft tissue injuries take time to heal.
I tried to do three sets of 25 with the empty bar thinking it would be a cakewalk. I got to 20 and failed...and my shoulder was hurting. Second set to 15 but shoulder felt better. Third set to 20 again. I couldn't resist and did a couple sets of 5 at 75. A could days later the same. I guess I'll keep trying with the bar. Next step down for me are 10 pound dumbbells so kind of out of the question...

I also had a surf the day after deadlift day this week. Shoulder high windswell. Really quick waves. I was happy that my pop ups were fast enough to get into them. And then into a quick, tight tuck. And then a really sore back that night and next day. Maybe I need to rest after dl day, but I'm never going to if the waves are good. What are you going to do?

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
I also had a surf the day after deadlift day this week. Shoulder high windswell. Really quick waves. I was happy that my pop ups were fast enough to get into them. And then into a quick, tight tuck. And then a really sore back that night and next day. Maybe I need to rest after dl day, but I'm never going to if the waves are good. What are you going to do?
Hey, that's great progress. Weren't you the one having pop-up troubles because of the low back pain/twinge? If so, it sounds like slow and steady has finally got you back in the game, even though you had sore muscles. Glad to hear this if I'm remembering correctly.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Hey, that's great progress. Weren't you the one having pop-up troubles because of the low back pain/twinge? If so, it sounds like slow and steady has finally got you back in the game, even though you had sore muscles. Glad to hear this if I'm remembering correctly.
Yeah. That was me. I was sidelined with injury for over 6 months and couldn't pop up to save my life. Getting better but not 100%. Probably never will be 100% back to where I was. O.L.D. syndrome.