paddling fatigue

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
only boring if you let it be boring. Lots to see out there, even in winter.
Yep. I'll take a longboard when its dead calm in the middle of winter to the end of my street and paddle a mile down the beach and back. Besides the beauty and tranquility of winter at the Jersey Shore you'll see a lot of cool birds that you will only see during the dead of winter. I also regularly see harbor seals on these paddles which also are mostly seen just in the winter around here.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
only boring if you let it be boring. Lots to see out there, even in winter.
Thought I hated it, until my shoulder has been acting upand havent been able to paddle much, I find myself missing it. It sure beats the gym.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
how long do hang? How often?
My issue was a really bad impingement. Thankfully nothing that I know of ever tore. At my worst I couldn't reach my left arm out of a car window to put money in the basket at a toll booth. Sprint paddling and pushing up off the deck to pop up became nearly impossible. These movements all gave me intense pain in the back of the shoulder joint where you feel it hinge as if I was being stabbed with an ice pick. I've never had pain in the front portion of my shoulders.......always the back.

I hold it for as long as I can. I try to do it every day. On days I don't go to the gym I can hang from the ledge of the landing in my stair case. While hanging its important to let all the other muscles other than your grip completely relax. Its about stretching rather than strengthening. This is all about stretching and elongating all of those muscles in your shoulders back and chest that get altered by years of sitting in cars and at computers. When I first started I could only hold about half of my body weight due to the shoulder pain. 30 seconds on and 30 seconds off about 3 or 4 times. Over time I got to where I could hold my body weight. Now I mix in sets of 5 pull ups between relaxed hanging. For the past 6 months I've been doing a lot of weight training and at least 3 times during a gym session I will go to the pull up bar and hang for a bit to keep the shoulders loose.

Here are the other things I did that helped me in order of the benefit I got from them:

1. Stand in a door way with your elbows on the door way at shoulder height. Lean in so that it stretches your chest out. This stretch helped me a lot to get rid of the hunched over shoulders from desk work. The first few times I did it it felt like I was ripping a bandaid off......as if it was ripping those muscles open.

2. This $8 back roller you can buy at Walmart is worth its weight in gold. Wish I had discovered this 15 years ago. This just helps the fired up muscles between your spine and shoulder blades relax.

3. With your shoulders back hold dumbbells or kettlebells in each hand with your palms forward and gently swing them back and forth. Again keeping all muscles except your grip relaxed. Also be sure your posture is perfect with shoulders back. I usually do this with 50 or 60 pounds in each hand.

4. This one did help some but I don't feel it was as helpful as all of the things above FOR ME. The traditional side to side rubber bands and light dumbell exercises that everyone shows for strengthening the rotator cuff muscles.

This video was the breakthrough for me. I stumbled onto it one night trying to find some relief. Game changer.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Set up a pull up bar yesterday, and I thinkmy shoulder feels a little better already.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
IMO a lot of the benefit of hanging is decompressing the disks between your vertebrae.
Not anymore so than laying down. There's no such thing as spinal decompression or being able to stretch space between vertebra....or any reason that you would want to do so. Disc degeneration is normal and permanent and mean old Mr Gravity is going to eliminate any space you think you created by hanging, laying, or wearing silly chin straps the minute you stand up...or sit in a chair.

True shoulder impingement is a very rare condition but the phrase is used colloquially to describe any pain or tightness associated with full range of motion in the shoulder. Its mostly caused by tendonitis or small tears in the muscle that make up the rotator cuff. Dead hangs don't do anything but allow a person to force a full range of motion into a shoulder that is perceived not to have full range of motion. There's better and longer lasting ways to reduce and eliminate this pain, but not as simple or easy and just settling for short term relief.....but relief is a good thing and if hanging, or any other type of placebo provides short term relief there's no reason not to do it as long as your not causing any damage in the process.

If you're going to do dead hangs make sure you shrug your shoulders up while hanging. This causes the scapula to rotate out of the way and minimizes the chance of doing real damage by pinching the soft tissue between the bones in the area of the shoulder joint (the head of the humerus, the distal end of the collarbone, and the distal end of the scapula). When you shrug your shoulders it rotates the scapulas up and in, towards the middle, pulling the knobby parts of the AC away from the head of the humerus, so that there is more space between them and less chance of "impinging" soft tissue.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Not anymore so than laying down. There's no such thing as spinal decompression or being able to stretch space between vertebra....or any reason that you would want to do so. Disc degeneration is normal and permanent and mean old Mr Gravity is going to eliminate any space you think you created by hanging, laying, or wearing silly chin straps the minute you stand up...or sit in a chair.

True shoulder impingement is a very rare condition but the phrase is used colloquially to describe any pain or tightness associated with full range of motion in the shoulder. Its mostly caused by tendonitis or small tears in the muscle that make up the rotator cuff. Dead hangs don't do anything but allow a person to force a full range of motion into a shoulder that is perceived not to have full range of motion. There's better and longer lasting ways to reduce and eliminate this pain, but not as simple or easy and just settling for short term relief.....but relief is a good thing and if hanging, or any other type of placebo provides short term relief there's no reason not to do it as long as your not causing any damage in the process.

If you're going to do dead hangs make sure you shrug your shoulders up while hanging. This causes the scapula to rotate out of the way and minimizes the chance of doing real damage by pinching the soft tissue between the bones in the area of the shoulder joint (the head of the humerus, the distal end of the collarbone, and the distal end of the scapula). When you shrug your shoulders it rotates the scapulas up and in, towards the middle, pulling the knobby parts of the AC away from the head of the humerus, so that there is more space between them and less chance of "impinging" soft tissue.
Like laying down- ( it gives the nerves a small break - that’s what it feels like to me) .

Done a few times a day, every day and there is a cumulative and - can be significant- benefit from my experience.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

Interesting, I will take your word for it. So those inversion tables are basically snake oil? Ive known some people with bad backs who swore by it.

Do you think that stretches where you arch your back are beneficial for the spine? As a way to counteract all the bending forward and sitting we do in daily life?

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Like laying down- ( it gives the nerves a small break - that’s what it feels like to me) .

Done a few times a day, every day and there is a cumulative and - can be significant- benefit from my experience.
Now you're talking about addressing a stress or threat response to a benign neural input. This is a very real way to treat pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swallow Tail