paddling fatigue

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
do kb swings, cleans, and snatches. the snatch seems to strengthen shoulders a lot
DO NOT DO KB SNATCHES!!!

They will jack your shoulders up over time.

I had always had my doubts about the risk/reward ratio of this one and Steve Maxwell confirmed my suspicions.

When I was big into them I found the most bang for the buck was: https://barbend.com/the-kettlebell-armor-complex-how-when-and-why-it-should-be-in-your-training/

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
DO NOT DO KB SNATCHES!!!

They will jack your shoulders up over time.

I had always had my doubts about the risk/reward ratio of this one and Steve Maxwell confirmed my suspicions.

When I was big into them I found the most bang for the buck was: https://barbend.com/the-kettlebell-armor-complex-how-when-and-why-it-should-be-in-your-training/
high pull doesnt allow for shoulderstabilization work like snatch or even ohp

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
if you can surf, strength training makes you surf better.
every pro has now figured that out. same thing applies for people who don't surf for a living.

you don't need a gym. just a few heavy things and a chin-up bar.
Training will make you surf like Mick Fanning just like not training will make you surf like Dane Reynold.

Reactions: hal9000

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
You can do both. A proper weight training session should only take 30-60 minutes. Weight training is great because it increases your testosterone. The main thing is staying at fighting weight. You can weight train without gaining weight, (or more weight than you want).
Lift and drop. Don’t lower the weight. Drop it.

Eccentric contraction builds mass.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
I havent been able to squat for about 2 years now after a bad fall at the skatepark. Having extra muscle never helped me surf anyways. Even if it was somehow helping paddle, the extra weight was a hindrance for getting barreled.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
The best thing for paddling fitness (other than paddling) is swimming. Lifting weight for paddling is nonsense.
nah. swimming for paddling fitness is close to a total waste of time.

if you consider the opportunity cost, it really sucks.

but some people enjoy swimming and the head space.

doing chinups three times a week will get you heaps more waves in most lineups.

Reactions: Havoc

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
nah. swimming for paddling fitness is close to a total waste of time.

if you consider the opportunity cost, it really sucks.

but some people enjoy swimming and the head space.

doing chinups three times a week will get you heaps more waves in most lineups.
I hope you‘re joking.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
200 lb squat for average male is not that much weight let alone for an athlete

you're right, but for the average recreational athlete, it's probably not necessary to lift more than this. there are a bunch of studies comparing heavy and lighter weight training regimens. Both show improvements in strength over time with the heavier weight regimen having a slight advantage.

fishtank

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 20, 2010
You mean goblet squats? How the fk are you gonna do 200 lb? I doubt you could do 80 lb.
try one in each hand? goblet squats with 80lb ain't that hard, used to do them at the gym. it was the heaviest kb they had. swimming is good for paddle endurance, more so if you're not in the water all that much. pull ups can help add that "pop" if you're already a decent paddler and have been surfing consistently. that's the first thing to go for me after not surfing for a while, ruins your confidence to get in the spots where you need to be.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I found that surfing 3 times a week really helped.

A lot of paddling fatigue comes from a lack of neural priming.

Totally. Happens every time we have an extended flat spell or I miss surf sessions due to work or family stuff. Then once I'm surfing regularly I feel a marked improvement in my paddling.

This is not to say I'm a GOOD paddler by any stretch, just that I see improvement when I'm at it regularly.

Same is true for playing music. Your chops suffer if you're not practicing a few times a week.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
try one in each hand? goblet squats with 80lb ain't that hard, used to do them at the gym. it was the heaviest kb they had. swimming is good for paddle endurance, more so if you're not in the water all that much. pull ups can help add that "pop" if you're already a decent paddler and have been surfing consistently. that's the first thing to go for me after not surfing for a while, ruins your confidence to get in the spots where you need to be.

Front squats are a b*tch.

Also, this workout is tough

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois