paddling fatigue

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
I don't mean bringing a barbell into the water if that's where your going.......

If it's a serious question, you train for strength in the gym, and practice time surfing, by surfing in the water. You shouldn't stop surfing during a strength training cycle.
When I was in high school the basketball coach had us lifting 3 days a week & shooting everyday..In those days it was believed that lifting would ruin the jumpshot..he told us as long as we were shooting we'd be fine.
Look at nba players today vs 70's & 80's

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I say get stronger to increase your body natural defense to injuries...which in turn can cause pain. Secondary to that, increased strength will always equal increased ability to perform. (do you never put more gas in your car than what you will need at that specific time?) Am I stronger than I need to be to surf well? Probably, but I also enjoy strength training. Training to pick up a 405 pound deadlift teaches your brain to accept the challenge of doing hard things over a long period of time with small incremental achievements. I'm also not saying a 405 pound deadlift will make every surfer better. There is a law of diminishing returns and after 1.5 to 2X bodyweight the return is negligible to negative depending on the person. It takes a lot of resources to train with heavy weights and then haul around a lot of muscle tissue in an athletic sport like surfing. On the other hand any male between the age of 25 and 50 that can't pick up a bar loaded with 315 pounds off the floor is generally undertrained for a long and robust life.

There's also fighting off death. Frailty (sarcopenia) kills more older people than any other cause. There's no reason that a person in their 70's can't live a full mostly pain free life or survive and recover from an injury at an advanced age if one were to happen........but they don't. Strength cures that.

Are people without hands always in pain?
At my gym a 71 yr old 150 lb dude just deadlifted 315 lbs. mindblown!

Reactions: ShiverMeTimbers
Oct 24, 2004
hypertrophy in the gym and training with little rest in between sets helps overall, but for building up the paddling cardio just simply surfing more/longer and dropping some lbs is #1

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I say get stronger to increase your body natural defense to injuries...which in turn can cause pain. Secondary to that, increased strength will always equal increased ability to perform. (do you never put more gas in your car than what you will need at that specific time?) Am I stronger than I need to be to surf well? Probably, but I also enjoy strength training. Training to pick up a 405 pound deadlift teaches your brain to accept the challenge of doing hard things over a long period of time with small incremental achievements. I'm also not saying a 405 pound deadlift will make every surfer better. There is a law of diminishing returns and after 1.5 to 2X bodyweight the return is negligible to negative depending on the person. It takes a lot of resources to train with heavy weights and then haul around a lot of muscle tissue in an athletic sport like surfing. On the other hand any male between the age of 25 and 50 that can't pick up a bar loaded with 315 pounds off the floor is generally undertrained for a long and robust life.

There's also fighting off death. Frailty (sarcopenia) kills more older people than any other cause. There's no reason that a person in their 70's can't live a full mostly pain free life or survive and recover from an injury at an advanced age if one were to happen........but they don't. Strength cures that.

Are people without hands always in pain?
Just out of curiousity what's your age?

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Paddling a kayak regularly in all reasonable conditions. Push hard for a day or two than either take a day or two off or go easy and enjoy the water. Eat well, whole foods. I can't imagine anything else doing more for me than I got from this in addition to surfing as often as possible. All summer and fall. I'm as good as can be expected considering all the self a use over the years.

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Paddling a kayak regularly in all reasonable conditions. Push hard for a day or two than either take a day or two off or go easy and enjoy the water. Eat well, whole foods. I can't imagine anything else doing more for me than I got from this in addition to surfing as often as possible. All summer and fall. I'm as good as can be expected considering all the self a use over the years.
Having big, fat, hands.. Pancake hands.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
the trick with thoracic mobility is to add rotation as well as flexion and extension.

Rotation is the key to more mobility.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
One key thing I've come to realize as I'm coming back from shoulder problems is that my ability to arch my back isn't what it used to be. Spending my days sitting at a desk and driving are a big part of the problem along with age. If you can hold your chest up higher off of the board your shoulders won't have to work so hard and your shoulders won't have to rotate as far which means less stress on those rotator cuffs. Basically the angle of attack of the paddling stroke will be more underneeth your body rather than above your head. Next, if you can arch your back really well you won't have to bend your neck nearly as much to hold your head up. Finally if you can arch your back properly while paddling into a wave you will be in a better position to pop up quickly. This stuff is key especially as you get more and more tired during a session. Throw on a hooded 5 mil wetsuit and its even more critical.

Check out the body position of a teenage ripper who surfs all day every day when he's paddling his board and look at how much curve he is creating in his back and how high he can hold his chest and head up off of the board.

On the flip side, look at a kook no matter their fitness level or an out of shape old fart and you will notice that a lot of them can barely get their chin up off of the deck of the board while they are paddling.

Paddling a surfboard is a very unique movement because of this back arching aspect and is why things like swimming in a pool or working out in the gym don't necessarily translate into strong paddling on a surfboard.

I've been working on two key things for about a month now and am noticing improvements that should help a lot in the water.

1. Stretching the heck out of my hip flexors and the muscles in the front of my thighs. Have to reverse the effects of sitting which shortens those muscles and tendons. Basically if you can't get your pelvis to move properly you're never going to be able to arch your back and hold your chest up properly or you're going to have to work a lot harder with your lower back muscles to do it.

2. Strengthening the muscles in my back and the backs of my legs. In order to arch your back properly while laying on a surfboard it takes a lot of strength in the middle and lower back and a surprising amount in the back of your legs. The exercise I've been doing twice a day for this is real simple. I take a couple of throw pillows from my couch and stack them on the floor. I lay on top of them at my body's balance point around the pelvis and I lift both my chest and legs off the ground as far as I can and I balance there for as long as I can. You will notice right away that this position feels a lot like paddling a high performance shortboard. While doing this I try to work on breathing as well as adding in some shoulder rotations to simulate paddling and reduce fatigue. I do this a few times in the morning and a few times in the evening. In the past month I've noticed that I can do this a lot easier and hold it a lot longer.

Last edited:

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
One key thing I've come to realize as I'm coming back from shoulder problems is that my ability to arch my back isn't what it used to be. Spending my days sitting at a desk and driving are a big part of the problem along with age. If you can hold your chest up higher off of the board your shoulders won't have to work so hard and your shoulders won't have to rotate as far which means less stress on those rotator cuffs. Basically the angle of attack of the paddling stroke will be more underneeth your body rather than above your head. Next, if you can arch your back really well you won't have to bend your neck nearly as much to hold your head up. Finally if you can arch your back properly while paddling into a wave you will be in a better position to pop up quickly. This stuff is key especially as you get more and more tired during a session. Throw on a hooded 5 mil wetsuit and its even more critical.

Check out the body position of a teenage ripper who surfs all day every day when he's paddling his board and look at how much curve he is creating in his back and how high he can hold his chest and head up off of the board.

On the flip side, look at a kook no matter their fitness level or an out of shape old fart and you will notice that a lot of them can barely get their chin up off of the deck of the board while they are paddling.

Paddling a surfboard is a very unique movement because of this back arching aspect and is why things like swimming in a pool or working out in the gym don't necessarily translate into strong paddling on a surfboard.

I've been working on two key things for about a month now and am noticing improvements that should help a lot in the water.

1. Stretching the heck out of my hip flexors and the muscles in the front of my thighs. Have to reverse the effects of sitting which shortens those muscles and tendons. Basically if you can't get your pelvis to move properly you're never going to be able to arch your back and hold your chest up properly or you're going to have to work a lot harder with your lower back muscles to do it.

2. Strengthening the muscles in my back and the backs of my legs. In order to arch your back properly while laying on a surfboard it takes a lot of strength in the middle and lower back and a surprising amount in the back of your legs. The exercise I've been doing twice a day for this is real simple. I take a couple of throw pillows from my couch and stack them on the floor. I lay on top of them at my body's balance point around the pelvis and I lift both my chest and legs off the ground as far as I can and I balance there for as long as I can. You will notice right away that this position feels a lot like paddling a high performance shortboard. While doing this I try to work on breathing as well as adding in some shoulder rotations to simulate paddling and reduce fatigue. I do this a few times in the morning and a few times in the evening. In the past month I've noticed that I can do this a lot easier and hold it a lot longer.

Unless your immobile for weeks at a time your muscles and tendons aren't shortening.

There is zero medical evidence that stretching does anything useful.

If you are too week to hold your chest up, trying to lengthen your groin muscles isn't going to do anything.

Lifting pillows isn't doing anything to increase strength....unless feathers are unusually heavy for you.