paddling fatigue

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Probably true for everyone except for astronauts. They grow in space from expansion of the vertebrae due to lack of gravity.

And this is why astronauts shrink when they can back to earth.
Mr Doof....what do you think happens to a rat after it's launched into space? Like this one just above the nozzle at the 20:03 mark....
I mean...since you know what happens to the astronotins....do the rats grow as well?
:unsure:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
What do you think it did for you? You weren't very specific. My shoulder hurt so I hung from a bar and now it doesn't hurt is by definition placebo.
Mostly I think it stretch things in there and likely corrected some posture issues that led to my pain. Perhaps it broke up some scar tissue and adhesions in the muscles and tendons in there. I am not an exercise physiologist......all I know is that of everything I tried hanging was more effective than anything and the results came quickly.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Mostly I think it stretch things in there and likely corrected some posture issues that led to my pain. Perhaps it broke up some scar tissue and adhesions in the muscles and tendons in there. I am not an exercise physiologist......all I know is that of everything I tried hanging was more effective than anything and the results came quickly.
I specifically mentioned forcing some range of motion. It's not something I would recommend but I didn't dismiss it. I do dismiss that hanging from a bar is more effective than anything because you haven't tried everything....or any other thing useful for the matter.

There's no such thing as muscle adhesions and unless you had previous shoulder surgery there would not be a remarkable amount of scar tissue in the shoulder joint.

I don't know how you equate hanging from a bar with posture issues...I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Maybe the pain relief comes from the increased grip strength that hanging stimulated?

Hand strength influences joint centration and this affects the neural inputes signaling the pain?

Doug, you always say get stronger to manage pain.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
Maybe the pain relief comes from the increased grip strength that hanging stimulated?

Hand strength influences joint centration and this affects the neural inputes signaling the pain?

Doug, you always say get stronger to manage pain.
I say get stronger to increase your body natural defense to injuries...which in turn can cause pain. Secondary to that, increased strength will always equal increased ability to perform. (do you never put more gas in your car than what you will need at that specific time?) Am I stronger than I need to be to surf well? Probably, but I also enjoy strength training. Training to pick up a 405 pound deadlift teaches your brain to accept the challenge of doing hard things over a long period of time with small incremental achievements. I'm also not saying a 405 pound deadlift will make every surfer better. There is a law of diminishing returns and after 1.5 to 2X bodyweight the return is negligible to negative depending on the person. It takes a lot of resources to train with heavy weights and then haul around a lot of muscle tissue in an athletic sport like surfing. On the other hand any male between the age of 25 and 50 that can't pick up a bar loaded with 315 pounds off the floor is generally undertrained for a long and robust life.

There's also fighting off death. Frailty (sarcopenia) kills more older people than any other cause. There's no reason that a person in their 70's can't live a full mostly pain free life or survive and recover from an injury at an advanced age if one were to happen........but they don't. Strength cures that.

Are people without hands always in pain?

Reactions: Havoc

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA
No, I didn't say it did nothing.

I don't know your physical condition now or before you started hanging from a bar but there would be an isometric strength adaptation that would occur if the muscles involved were at a point that hanging provided an amount of stress to drive a strength adaptation.

If you think it cured a non specific shoulder impingement, then yes, placebo. Want proof? You're still doing it.

What do you think it did for you? You weren't very specific. My shoulder hurt so I hung from a bar and now it doesn't hurt is by definition placebo.
This is that weird time where I agree with what VM is throwing down.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
The first two videos I posted went into the mechanics of why hanging works. Did you watch either of them? Regarding posture, this video gets into that.

I don't watch these type of videos. They are just more silly bullshit. I could if you want and point out how dumb they are but it's not something I enjoy doing and it certainly isn't going to help your shoulder. I'll say this though..There are lots of You Tubers, online advertisers, PT's and Chiropractors that are happy to provide confident, superficially plausible sounding explanations for pain.....except that there are no conclusive studies that state why certain people develop shoulder pain and others don't. There is today a better understanding of the need to rely less on rigid biomedical narratives that are 100% focused on supposed structural/mechanical abnormalities because there is no data to support it but that doesn't pay the bills so there are still going to be a lot of predators out there selling the cure.

I was clear that if someone did something that helped...perceived or otherwise I would not offer advice to stop doing it if it were safe. I don't know anything about your physical condition but I can say absolutely that hanging from a bar isn't the best way to resolve whatever it is your going through in a permanent way.

Last edited:

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
It better to make yourself strong in ways that JUST make you stronger, then use your stronger body to practice the movement, like paddling, exactly how you are going to need to perform it....which is prone on a surfboard. Strength training and practice should be done concurrently. The benefit of doing it this way is that it is 100% impossible to not develop the strength and cardiovascular adaptation required to avoid fatigue and it happens almost immediately. Doing it any other way is inefficient and just causes confusion.
sorry, could you elaborate?

How could I strength train and surf concurrently?

Nov 8, 2019
We know there are things that are good for mitochondrial health, like nutrition, bad, like alcohol or aging, and a lot that may or may not help because the studies have not been done or have been inconclusive. I firmly believe that people or websites that sell supplement stacks designed to boost or improve your mitochondrial health are bullshit and are just expensive urine additives.

Science is amazing and if there's a fountain of youth out there its going to certainly involve mitochondria, but I suspect unless there's a huge discovery by accident while combating cancer or some other genetic disease we won't see it in our lifetimes.
My thesis at Berkely (and continued research at Bastyr) involved mitochondreal physiology when introduced to strictly plant based foods, and separate, isolated studies with protiens, fats, methods of preparation. For the dilettantes, in order of good to bad, we would have lightly steamed and blanched plants and raw plants, middle of the road would be poached eggs, and on the opposite end of the spectrum would be certian meats cooked over long periods of time with smoke and wood or cured wood products which deposit layer upon layer of ash onto and inside the food. In order of best to worst and common store-bought meats and fish: [cheese], fin fish, shellfish, chicken and poultry, pork, beef, and lamb oddly being a no contest worst. My research is easily accessed at both schools, however reads like an organic chemistry textbook, LOL! Be forwarned, brush up on your calculus and chemistry before reading, but, hey, it won me a Bastyr Founder's Award!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
My thesis at Berkely (and continued research at Bastyr) involved mitochondreal physiology when introduced to strictly plant based foods, and separate, isolated studies with protiens, fats, methods of preparation. For the dilettantes, in order of good to bad, we would have lightly steamed and blanched plants and raw plants, middle of the road would be poached eggs, and on the opposite end of the spectrum would be certian meats cooked over long periods of time with smoke and wood or cured wood products which deposit layer upon layer of ash onto and inside the food. In order of best to worst and common store-bought meats and fish: [cheese], fin fish, shellfish, chicken and poultry, pork, beef, and lamb oddly being a no contest worst. My research is easily accessed at both schools, however reads like an organic chemistry textbook, LOL! Be forwarned, brush up on your calculus and chemistry before reading, but, hey, it won me a Bastyr Founder's Award!
Nobody cares.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
OK, I should have added come back to earth. But then we should also mention the back pain astronauts suffer from once back under the control of gravity due to the severe muscle atrophy they suffer from while in a zero gravity environment. Weakness equals pain.
Yes, it should be mentioned.

You don't "grow" in space and shrink back on earth for free.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Mr Doof....what do you think happens to a rat after it's launched into space?
I mean...since you know what happens to the astronotins....do the rats grow as well?
:unsure:
I think that rats in micro gravity wouldn't "grow" all that much because their spine is usually horizontal to the force of gravity when scurrying about on Earth. Since it is horizontal, their vertebrae are not compressed by gravity like with us humans and our vertical vertebrae.

So while there would be get general decompression, you wouldn't see the same % of change in rats as with humans.