Overuse Injuries Imbalances?

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I have a 15 minute stretch routine I do every morning- starts with extensions (MacKenzie style), to child's pose, then (on my back) knee to chest, hamstring, piriformis stretches, open book rotations, then downward dog, hip flexor (psoas) lunges, groin stretches and end with a valgus stretch I came up with on my own (to access tube stance position).
How long have you been doing this routine?

I've had low back issues since my twenties and even stopped surfing for years at a time because of it. Then I started the McKenzie Method about 8 years ago and it's no longer much of an issue. It took about a year of doing it before there was a significant result though.

Reactions: bluengreen

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
How long have you been doing this routine?

I've had low back issues since my twenties and even stopped surfing for years at a time because of it. Then I started the McKenzie Method about 8 years ago and it's no longer much of an issue. It took about a year of doing it before there was a significant result though.

About 3 years, since I "injured " my back. How long do you hold the position?

Last edited:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
McKenzie pressups and core work have kept me functional too. My low back MRI is bad. Severe foraminal stenosis, significant disc degeneration, nerve compression at L5 and L4. Original injury was an L5-S1 disc extrusion that immobilized my nerve with scar tissue and hematoma after I kept playing tennis and working out until my pain was debilitating. Surgeon had a hell of a time cutting the nerve free.

I've had a few reinjuries and discussed disc replacement or fusion with a surgeon a few years ago. Instead of surgery, I took a heavy course of prednisone and went straight to PT, where I started doing sets of 20 McKenzie pressups 4-6 times per day along with other stuff. Was surfing in 3 months, and I've made a full recovery.

I still do a few sets of McKenzie pressups everyday, especially after a lot of sitting or any activity that puts my back in flexion. I do very light flexion exercises (cat cow, child's pose etc) just to maintain flexibility but never during a flare up. If my low back is cramping or I'm having sciatic pain, I go straight back to McKenzies and gentle core exercises, no flexion.

Reactions: estreet and Lowqi2

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
McKenzie pressups and core work have kept me functional too. My low back MRI is bad. Severe foraminal stenosis, significant disc degeneration, nerve compression at L5 and L4. Original injury was an L5-S1 disc extrusion that immobilized my nerve with scar tissue and hematoma after I kept playing tennis and working out until my pain was debilitating. Surgeon had a hell of a time cutting the nerve free.

I've had a few reinjuries and discussed disc replacement or fusion with a surgeon a few years ago. Instead of surgery, I took a heavy course of prednisone and went straight to PT, where I started doing sets of 20 McKenzie pressups 4-6 times per day along with other stuff. Was surfing in 3 months, and I've made a full recovery.

I still do a few sets of McKenzie pressups everyday, especially after a lot of sitting or any activity that puts my back in flexion. I do very light flexion exercises (cat cow, child's pose etc) just to maintain flexibility but never during a flare up. If my low back is cramping or I'm having sciatic pain, I go straight back to McKenzies and gentle core exercises, no flexion.
20 press ups 4-6 times a day. How long do you hold in the extended position?

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Fluid motion. You don't really need to hold the pose unless it feels good. You will feel the disc material/ your spine realign with each one.

Fully relax core and low back muscles. Only use your arms to press up. Extend as far as you can without pain, then breathe out and relax into flexion, which will give you a little extra. Then back down. Repeat. This is a close to a magic bullet I've found for disc issues.

Reactions: slipped_disc

SurfDoc

Michael Peterson status
Dec 19, 2002
ex-pat Huntington Beach
Visit site
If you have psychosomatic (fake) back pain that has no physical cause then his book has value. If you have bulging disc and pinched nerve his book is useless.

The fact that his book works for so many people is indicative of just pervasive psychosomatic back pain actually is.
I'd say psychosomatic is real but non-dangerous back pain. Fake is not psychosomatic, it is just plain false. Psychosomatics don't think they are faking. Fakers know they are faking. I had a worker's comp patient come in once complaining of horrible back pain, nothing helped it, and he was limping and wincing and couldn't do any of the tests or exams. Then he went outside and hopped on his motorcycle and sped away. All while we were watching out of a side window of the clinic. LOL.

Reactions: tacos

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
About a minute. Two sets of plank, McKenzie pressup, and downward dog, pretty much every morning. Plus McKenzie stretches for the neck.
I'm going to have to get on the neck program. When I tilt my head back my shoulder hurts. I know there is some nerve getting pinched or something. I just spent the whole weekend doing trail maintenance in Pt Mugu State Park. Back breaking work. But my back is fine. My neck and shoulder hurt.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'm going to have to get on the neck program. When I tilt my head back my shoulder hurts. I know there is some nerve getting pinched or something. I just spent the whole weekend doing trail maintenance in Pt Mugu State Park. Back breaking work. But my back is fine. My neck and shoulder hurt.
TEst for posterior shoulder weakness asymetry.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Fluid motion. You don't really need to hold the pose unless it feels good. You will feel the disc material/ your spine realign with each one.

Fully relax core and low back muscles. Only use your arms to press up. Extend as far as you can without pain, then breathe out and relax into flexion, which will give you a little extra. Then back down. Repeat. This is a close to a magic bullet I've found for disc issues.
I decided to substitute Hind pushups for the simple back extensions in my morning routine. Adds a little strength work and stretches the calves and ankles which is important to access the tube stance. I inhale gong up into the extension and then hold it as long as I can hold my breath.

Reactions: estreet

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I decided to substitute Hind pushups for the simple back extensions in my morning routine. Adds a little strength work and stretches the calves and ankles which is important to access the tube stance. I inhale gong up into the extension and then hold it as long as I can hold my breath.

Probly good for duck diving too. :roflmao: