Overuse Injuries Imbalances?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've been getting pretty bad pain from my neck to my shoulder during and after surfing. One thing I was wondering about....why is my left side so affected and my right side not at all? If it is from paddling, which I'm sure it is, aren't both sides getting (over)used equally? Wouldn't my right side have at least a little pain? Instead it's perfectly fine, but my left is a disaster.

When I was running long distances it was my right knee, but not my left. I figured that was because my right foot is out toed (opposite of pigeon toed) from surfing. N+But maybe not. Running with sandals cured my knee issues.

I keep hoping to find the magic exercise to cure my neck/shoulder pain the way the sandals cured my knee pain...

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
Are you right handed? If you’re right handed, your right side naturally gets more use and is stronger than your left. You have more control over it and your form is better. Probably something to do with your mechanics.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Test both side for asymmetries.
I was just outside doing overhead presses. Left side is weaker.

For the second week in a row I had to curtail my barbell session because of back spasms. So I was trying to do some volme stuff with empty bar.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I was just outside doing overhead presses. Left side is weaker.

For the second week in a row I had to curtail my barbell session because of back spasms. So I was trying to do some volme stuff with empty bar.
Get a ball and ram it into the rear delt. Also go right at the arm pit.

Don't tell Doug I told you.

Last edited:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Get a ball and ram it into the rear delt. Also go right at the arm pit.

Don't tell Doug I told you.

Tried to do barbell today. Back is fucked again. Slightest flexion and I'm getting spasms. Don't tell Doug.

Back to square one...

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Yeah. Like a repeat of December 2019.
Sorry to hear it. If you’re back can’t tolerate any flexion BUT you can do some core work, try the static back extension. You’ll need some sort of prop to put your body at angle. A yoga ball works. Back extension machine is even better. This is step 1 to try to reset after a blowout for me. Gives pretty good muscle activation through whole posterior too.

Reactions: One-Off

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Sorry to hear it. If you’re back can’t tolerate any flexion BUT you can do some core work, try the static back extension. You’ll need some sort of prop to put your body at angle. A yoga ball works. Back extension machine is even better. This is step 1 to try to reset after a blowout for me. Gives pretty good muscle activation through whole posterior too.
I have a 15 minute stretch routine I do every morning- starts with extensions (MacKenzie style), to child's pose, then (on my back) knee to chest, hamstring, piriformis stretches, open book rotations, then downward dog, hip flexor (psoas) lunges, groin stretches and end with a valgus stretch I came up with on my own (to access tube stance position).

I did the extensions OK this AM, but I felt pain immediately moving to the child's pose. I figured I'm in the "acute" phase (I couldn't put my socks on) and will wait a couple of days before really trying any strenuous stretching or exercising.

I thought maybe I pulled a muscle (erectors?) but have zero pain on palpation. Just benign nerve signals" ??? I'll have to wait for my brain to reset...

Last edited:

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
Are you right handed? If you’re right handed, your right side naturally gets more use and is stronger than your left. You have more control over it and your form is better. Probably something to do with your mechanics.
I kind of experienced the opposite. I'm super right side oriented. When I was sparring a LOT, at one point I needed to have some meniscus cleaned up in my right knee. I preferred to spar as a righty as my kick on my right leg was better than my left. (which isn't saying much) The surgeon examining me measured both legs and commented that my left was significantly more muscular than my right. Which puzzled me for a bit. I said something and he said it made total sense. The left leg was supporting my entire body weight while the other side kicked. The left side was getting more work because I was choosing to kick with my strong side/right leg more of the time. I should have been able to figure that one out, it was kind of a "duhhh" moment on my part.

IMHO, weight training helps you avoid things like the above.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I kind of experienced the opposite. I'm super right side oriented. When I was sparring a LOT, at one point I needed to have some meniscus cleaned up in my right knee. I preferred to spar as a righty as my kick on my right leg was better than my left. (which isn't saying much) The surgeon examining me measured both legs and commented that my left was significantly more muscular than my right. Which puzzled me for a bit. I said something and he said it made total sense. The left leg was supporting my entire body weight while the other side kicked. The left side was getting more work because I was choosing to kick with my strong side/right leg more of the time. I should have been able to figure that one out, it was kind of a "duhhh" moment on my part.

IMHO, weight training helps you avoid things like the above.
Boxing or bag training is part of my daily workout and between lifting sets I hit all my bags for 1 minute sets always switching stance next set equal amount southpaw and righty.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
That's the way to go self training. Sometimes I will spend a larger portion of my time on my left side trying to bring it up to seamless with the right. I have improved the left somewhat. Part of that was forced upon me by injury on the right side. But sparring with a live opponent, it starts getting a little competitive sometimes. At least it does for me. At least it used to. It really shouldn't most of the time. It should be more of a cooperative thing most of the time. It's good to get pushed however. When it gets that way, I'm spending most of my time on one side. Self training on a bag, I'll do five minutes righty and then five lefty. Just keep switching.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
That's the way to go self training. Sometimes I will spend a larger portion of my time on my left side trying to bring it up to seamless with the right. I have improved the left somewhat. Part of that was forced upon me by injury on the right side. But sparring with a live opponent, it starts getting a little competitive sometimes. At least it does for me. At least it used to. It really shouldn't most of the time. It should be more of a cooperative thing most of the time. It's good to get pushed however. When it gets that way, I'm spending most of my time on one side. Self training on a bag, I'll do five minutes righty and then five lefty. Just keep switching.
My dad bought my older brother and I boxing gloves growing up and I was almost always one of the youngest. I learned from Rocky I to box southpaw very young age and would catch older kids by suprise and get some good punches in once in a while. I admired Marvin Hagler still is my favorite fighter ever.