Overthrowing Reason

Gnudz

Phil Edwards status
Apr 5, 2011
Jonestown
www.stormsurfing.com
First thing I saw in the news this morning was this quote from a Trump supporter:

I don't think President Trump would do anything, or could do anything, that would cause him to lose my support.
Overwhelmingly, Republicans have tied their identities to Donald Trump so resolutely that they absolutely refuse to see him as anything but the success he keeps telling them he is.

Sad!

GWS

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
done
ifallalot said:
Autoprax said:
The enemy of my (perceived) enemy is my friend.
Hence the Left's teaming up with Islamists
You'd think they'd be way more comfortable with those uber liberal (by comparison) KKK fellows?

Oh well. Reason overthrown and all...

:dancing:

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Gnudz said:
First thing I saw in the news this morning was this quote from a Trump supporter:

I don't think President Trump would do anything, or could do anything, that would cause him to lose my support.
Overwhelmingly, Republicans have tied their identities to Donald Trump so resolutely that they absolutely refuse to see him as anything but the success he keeps telling them he is.

Sad!
And yet most of them won't even admit they voted for and/or faithfully support him. :foreheadslap:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
sizzld1 said:
Gnudz said:

Sad!
And yet most of them won't even admit they voted for and/or faithfully support him. :foreheadslap:
"I didn't vote for Trump but..." is the new "I'm not racist but..."

Do you think it's simply an inability to acknowledge that they're wrong about something or perhaps there really is some sort of strange allegiance to the guy? Maybe he's the autocrat they were so hungry for? Factor in the shirtless Putin on a horse worship and there's a pretty sociological psych study to be made.

manbearpig

Duke status
May 11, 2009
in the bathroom
Too funny, the bad image the democrats created for themselves this election will Totally forgotten after trumpy ruins the republicans image.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
This is the backlash against the blatant dishonesty of identity politics and the practice of making every single disagreement so personal. There are now a lot of people who REALLY believe in the F-U factor that Trump laid on the opposition, and who are taking great delight in the rage and anguish of their enemies.

So for those of you who wanted to make it personal - this is what that looks like.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
GDaddy said:
This is the backlash against the blatant dishonesty of identity politics and the practice of making every single disagreement so personal. There are now a lot of people who REALLY believe in the F-U factor that Trump laid on the opposition, and who are taking great delight in the rage and anguish of their enemies.

So for those of you who wanted to make it personal - this is what that looks like.
Sure feels like Trump's base is anti-liberal above all other things. Long as they're pissing us off they think they're winning while the country goes to hell in a hand basket.

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
[shrugs] By the time someone gets called a nazi or Hitler a few times that will pretty much move most anyone into full-enemy mode.

What did you expect? People tend to act like people.

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
frvcvs said:
GDaddy said:

Sure feels like Trump's base is anti-liberal above all other things. Long as they're pissing us off they think they're winning while the country goes to hell in a hand basket.

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
CharmingSophisticate said:
frvcvs said:
GDaddy said:

Gnudz

Phil Edwards status
Apr 5, 2011
Jonestown
www.stormsurfing.com
GDaddy said:

All politics are "identity politics." The voters who support Trump do so because they identify with him more than any other candidate. Over and over again during the campaign we heard, "He's saying what I've been thinking" or "He tells it like it is." To criticize Trump is to criticize them, and that inflames them, whether the criticism is warranted or not.

As someone who supported Obama, I hated being told that he was a Kenyan Muslim Marxist who was after everybody's guns. Of course I realized that there was no basis for any of that, and that the people who were saying it were all batshit crazy. The Tea Party Republicans especially called Obama "Hitler" or "fascist" without ever being able to explain concretely how Obama was stripping them of their freedom and liberty. They also liked to compare him and his family to monkeys and apes.

Conversely, Trump promulgated the racist "birther" theory that Obama wasn't born in America. That's a well documented fact. Trump called Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals, also well documented. Donald Trump waffled on disavowing David Duke and white supremacists, and only did disavow them after a couple of days of building Pressure. Paul Ryan said Trump's comments about Mexican-American Judge Curiel were "the textbook definition of racism." These are just a few examples, all well documented, of Donald Trump being, saying, or acting like racist.

I know a lot of good people who support Trump, people who I don't think are any more racist than I am, but they voted for a candidate who clearly used racist tactics in his campaign. His first two hit singles where "Obama Wasn't Born Here" and "Mexicans Are Rapists & Criminals." Those are literally the beginning of his campaign.

So I have no doubt that the charges of Racism must sting Trump supporters. There is after all a ring of truth to them.