Oversized FW Twice Baked - Fin Recommendations

Jan 12, 2011
Hi all,

So I recently traded boards with a buddy of mine. I mostly ride Christenson's these days (Fishes, Gerrs, and Carreras) and have a 5'1 FW Baked Potato that I use as a groveler. I should be riding this board as 5'3 really because I ride my shortboards around 28-29L and the 5'1 Baked Potato is a tad over 29. Anyway, I love the BP, its in Timbertek and I use it as a groveler. My buddy had a brand new 5'9 FW Twice Baked in Timbertek (42L) that he wanted to swap with me for Helium Chumlee (barely used) that I had in my garage. I never really figured out or surfed the Chumlee so I went ahead and swapped it for the Twice Baked.

I got the board to use as a floaty fat board for longboard waves, for when I can't use the 5'1 Baked Potato. My question here is on fins. I run my BP (Futures) with the Controller Fins and add/remove a knubster fin depending on the waves. I love this fin setup and found it the best for these types of boards. I want to buy a controller set for the Twice Baked, which is in FCS2, but given that the board is way larger, and 13L fatter than my BP, I was wondering if any of you guys would recommend a type of fin setup for this board (Keels, Twins, other Quad setups). Also, I wouldn't add the knubster to the Twice Baked. Right now the only quad setup I have on FCS2 are the AM mids, and I don't think this board at this size will go well as a thruster, specially not because I going to be riding it in knee high/soft waves.

I appreciate all the recommendations.

Cheers!

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Such a shame the firewire forum is gone. That place was a gleaming insight into the minds of middle-aged kooks who would lose hair over which evo to get: the 7'2 at 106litres or the 7'4 at 108 liters.
Just go to the beachhouse in SB and hang out in the board room plenty of insight from the sales reps to the adult learners scoring step ups from wavestorms:drowning:

Reactions: Bman76

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Hi all,

So I recently traded boards with a buddy of mine. I mostly ride Christenson's these days (Fishes, Gerrs, and Carreras) and have a 5'1 FW Baked Potato that I use as a groveler. I should be riding this board as 5'3 really because I ride my shortboards around 28-29L and the 5'1 Baked Potato is a tad over 29. Anyway, I love the BP, its in Timbertek and I use it as a groveler. My buddy had a brand new 5'9 FW Twice Baked in Timbertek (42L) that he wanted to swap with me for Helium Chumlee (barely used) that I had in my garage. I never really figured out or surfed the Chumlee so I went ahead and swapped it for the Twice Baked.

I got the board to use as a floaty fat board for longboard waves, for when I can't use the 5'1 Baked Potato. My question here is on fins. I run my BP (Futures) with the Controller Fins and add/remove a knubster fin depending on the waves. I love this fin setup and found it the best for these types of boards. I want to buy a controller set for the Twice Baked, which is in FCS2, but given that the board is way larger, and 13L fatter than my BP, I was wondering if any of you guys would recommend a type of fin setup for this board (Keels, Twins, other Quad setups). Also, I wouldn't add the knubster to the Twice Baked. Right now the only quad setup I have on FCS2 are the AM mids, and I don't think this board at this size will go well as a thruster, specially not because I going to be riding it in knee high/soft waves.

I appreciate all the recommendations.

Cheers!
I would suggest the Machado keels in the Twice Baked since its so large and oversized.

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
I would suggest the Machado keels in the Twice Baked since its so large and oversized.
Good suggestion. I got the large machado tri keels for sale too. New for 70 shipped. Buy those and my large AM tri quad set for 170 shipped. Perfect fin quiver for this board.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I demoed a 5'6 Sunday model that came in around 31L and rode it with the Machado keels and it was a blast! I think any board with a really wide tail can benefit from a nice set of keels or twin fins. Timmy Reyes rode the Akila twin fins the front and Machado quad reals on a Baked Potatoe and he said it was a really nice fin configuration.