Over extended knee

sd_101

Michael Peterson status
Jul 27, 2014
around san diego
Was in pitching surf, kicked board away on the air drop but landed funny and kinda got compressed into the board. Knee wore the compression the worst.

No sharp pains but for sure weak and loss of stability.

Not so used to nursing a knee injury like this one. Do I wear a knee sleeve always, or just while active? It feels more stable when on but I don’t want to learn to rely on it.

Happened about 2wks ago. Was expecting to be back to 100% by now. Maybe it’s just the aging.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
after 4 weeks of rest then try to surf I went to the doc for a similar issue. He thinks it's slight meniscus tear. He said rest it longer (don't surf) and he is sending me to PT. Looks like my Mammoth trip at the end of the month is toast :(

FML.

sd_101

Michael Peterson status
Jul 27, 2014
around san diego
Toughed it out for a couple snowboarding trips which probably put me onto a delayed recovery.

Weakness is largely gone but has some sharp pains now and again, like if I run up some stairs or try and mash on the road bike.

Frustrating to say the least. Have been largely out of the water since the injury. No hind leg rippage, that’s for sure.

At what point do I go in for a closer look?

sd_101

Michael Peterson status
Jul 27, 2014
around san diego
Quick update -

Didn’t do sh!t but stay active, monitor pain, listen to the body, and take lots of Advil.

Still have periodic weakness or weird tweaks can hurt a bit more than normal but strength is way back closer to 100%.

Treat your body like an old car, and drive it every day. Otherwise, you’ll wake up one day, need it, and it won’t start.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
www.instagram.com
Yes they do.

Then they get ulcers or GI bleeds and they're all "wtf did i do?"

If I have a muscle issue like a tweaked back I take naproxen and do so sparingly. Much better results compared to Advil.

I have never understood the pop a few Advils and go logic. Maybe because there is no logic. Just stupid.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Treat your body like an old car, and drive it every day. Otherwise, you’ll wake up one day, need it, and it won’t start.
I like the idea behind that metaphor., but maybe try and treat it like your first new car. You know, wash it every weekend, wax too, check oil and water before every drive, no taking it through the deepest mud pit you can find (when sober), etc.

People drive old cars with abandon.....I dare you to hit me, this jalopy don't care, your bumper costs more than my entire front end to the firewall!