Out and about in Wuhan :)

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Yeah the conspiracy track is this: Chinese spies stole this coronavirus from Canada, took to Wuhan for their scientists to weaponize it. It got loose, and here we are with the death plague. Or it came from the Chinese markets where they eat every living thing they can get their hands on.

If its true that carriers can be contagious for 5 days before showing any signs, this is going to get really messy for the next month or two. I went to Costco today and filled the pantry with extra rations.

Its not absurd to wear a mask and avoid crowded areas now.

Peter1

Nep status
Jul 29, 2005
I spend a few days in Wuhan in spring 2018. A really grim place, but 11 million people call it home. The airport is rather nice, then you drive an hour past endless apartment blocks. I asked our "guide," i.e. spy, how people liked living there and he said it beat living in a hovel with no electricity and communal pit toilets, which is how most Chinese lived before the economy went global a few decades ago.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
This is just a plot by white supremacists to stir up anti-Chinese hatred.

The New York Times told me this so it must be true

ps the coronavirus is in Irvine

• Haha
Reactions: surfysurfy1476

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I spend a few days in Wuhan in spring 2018. A really grim place, but 11 million people call it home. The airport is rather nice, then you drive an hour past endless apartment blocks. I asked our "guide," i.e. spy, how people liked living there and he said it beat living in a hovel with no electricity and communal pit toilets, which is how most Chinese lived before the economy went global a few decades ago.
China just seems grim and depressing in general...one of few places I have no desire to visit.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Every year the media over-hypes the flu. That's what this smells like to me. Personally, I'm betting the next major plague will be bacterial rather than viral thanks to the widespread misuse of antibiotics.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
MERS and SARS are in the same family and had a low death rate. During the SARS outbreak (which only killed a couple hundred), I scored r/t tickets to Singapore en route to the Ments for $250.

Meanwhile, the flu killed over 34k in the US alone last year.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
^ - The flu is a proven killer and super duper easy to pass along. People tend to ignore the well known proven killers and latch onto that which is new and exciting. because, well, it is what humans do.

This corona virus appears to be more easily spread than other versions (morbidity) but doesn't seem to be crazy virulent.

I think SARS killed about 1000 people. Out of 1 billion Chinese (or 6.8 billion world population at the time) this is a really small %.