Osteoporosis prevention

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I found this in my email box. More fuel for the strength fire. (emphasis is mine).

Box 1 Recommendations for exercise to promote bone strength
For all people with osteoporosis
  • Muscle-strengthening physical activity and exercise is recommended on two or three days of the week to maintain bone strength. [E]
  • For maximum benefit, muscle strengthening should include progressive muscle resistance training. In practice, this is the maximum that can be lifted 8–12 times (building up to three sets for each exercise). Lower intensity exercise ensuring good technique is recommended before increasing intensity levels. [E]
  • All muscle groups should be targeted, including back muscles to promote bone strength in the spine. [C]
  • Daily physical activity is recommended as a minimum, spread across the day and avoiding prolonged periods of sitting. [C]

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
caca, josh, and wokeAF are going to be pissed.

(though I would never advise someone to plan their training with failing at the 8-12 rep range. The only benefit I see to training in that space is if you want to convince people to stop training because the physical benefits are closer to zero than you would want to believe.)

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
caca, josh, and wokeAF are going to be pissed.

(though I would never advise someone to plan their training with failing at the 8-12 rep range. The only benefit I see to training in that space is if you want to convince people to stop training because the physical benefits are closer to zero than you would want to believe.)
I've done some DEXA scans. Every time it shows bone density that are 2 SDs higher than the average for my age and gender. Nothing to see here . . . . . :roflmao:

Reactions: Havoc

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Most people don't lift.

If you don't lift and then you do, it's going to be a great thing.

It don't matter what kind of lifting you do as long as you have intensity.

After you get to a certain level of conditioning, weight lifting becomes one of life's great pleasures.

Most people never get there.

Surfing is kind of like that too.

Maybe everything is?

Guitar for sure.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
LOL I never said that and I would 100% disagree.

Certain movements yes, the other 95% no.

So why were you getting a DEXA scan?
Which movements are bad for your joints. I'm only asking because joints are there to move or articulate along their natural path or paths. I wasn't aware we weren't supposed to use them this way (sometimes).

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Which movements are bad for your joints. I'm only asking because joints are there to move or articulate along their natural path or paths. I wasn't aware we weren't supposed to use them this way (sometimes).
There's a lot of opinions out there about what's bad and good, all written by people who have had very successful bodybuilding careers.

I think whatever your baseline posture, skeletal structure, and athletic history is at a young age will all have an affect on what movements are good and others that are damaging.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Resistance training along with walking/jogging. A lot of hard-core lancers end up with osteoperosis because while physically fit, they never stress their bones.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
There's a lot of opinions out there about what's bad and good, all written by people who have had very successful bodybuilding careers.

I think whatever your baseline posture, skeletal structure, and athletic history is at a young age will all have an affect on what movements are good and others that are damaging.
Absent paralysis or some other neurologic pathology, I think you are just making things up.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Absent paralysis or some other neurologic pathology, I think you are just making things up.
You don't have to look too far to find 100,000 articles like this with "expert" opinions:

Bodybuilding is just like surfboards, every "expert" has their opinion (which of course is always correct).

My right hip angles out about 40 degrees along with my foot, yes that affects how sh!t works.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
You don't have to look too far to find 100,000 articles like this with "expert" opinions:

Bodybuilding is just like surfboards, every "expert" has their opinion (which of course is always correct).

My right hip angles out about 40 degrees along with my foot, yes that affects how sh!t works.
Muscle and Fitness...a magazine that advocates on its cover things like "Dorian Yates Massive Arms Exercise" is an expert on fitness? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Bodybuilding is not strength training or fitness. Bodybuilding is body modification, similar to tattoos or piercings. Bodybuilding is physique worship....or even a body dysmorphia similar to anorexia or trans. Bodybuilders are generally not very healthy or strong.

• Haha

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER

I don't believe you are disfigured...but if you are and have this asymmetric anomaly you would know that it is just an anomaly and your experience isn't indicative of a normal persons physical experience.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Muscle and Fitness...a magazine that advocates on its cover things like "Dorian Yates Massive Arms Exercise" is an expert on fitness? :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Bodybuilding is not strength training or fitness. Bodybuilding is body modification, similar to tattoos or piercings. Bodybuilding is physique worship....or even a body dysmorphia similar to anorexia or trans. Bodybuilders are generally not very healthy or strong.
Barbell curls are on that list :roflmao: :roflmao:

• Haha