Orange county lol

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Going to Irvine to visit a buddy for a few days later this week. Only SoCal but will be fun to get a chance to surf outside of NY/NJ for the first time in 1.5 years.

If anyone wants to be a bro and post/DM me some spots to check, tide/swell direction info, places to be avoid etc I'm all ears. I actually don't know the area at all other than the super famous spots. I'll be closest to Hunnington/Newport but I'll have a car so happy to drive.

I might leave space in my bag and see if I can find a lightly used 5'10 hpsb somewhere. Any particular board rooms I should check?

Forecast looks decent to good at the moment, starting slow and getting fun towards the end of my trip. Thinking right now I'll bring the Gremlin/Shadow combo, seems very unlikely I'll need a step up.

What_it_Do_Baybeeee

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 28, 2010
CA
Yeah, you'll be fine with a Gremlin. I ride mine a lot when it is in the 3-5 ft. range.

As for spots, just cruise the stretch between Newport and Huntington. You will find something fun.

Likely some south/onshore winds this week, which will chop things up a bit. You can still have a good time though and it usually lightens up the crowd a tad.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Huntington near the pier is your best bet, early AM, and park a few blocks back in the neighborhood for free. There's plenty of beach a short walk in either direction, but the best peaks are usually right next to the pier.

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Thanks y'all that's helpful

Definitely don't mind some chop especially if it thins the crowd a bit

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
^Agreed. If you're trying to avoid crowds pick a window that look a little funky as long as there is some south swell it'll be fun.

Reactions: ehiunno

ehiunno

OTF status
Dec 27, 2019
Re: trestles, I'll consider it. I feel like I'd have to get lucky with the crowd. I really don't enjoy competing with pros for waves but maybe uppers would be okay.

Reactions: JDJ