Orange County Beach Vacation Recommendations

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018
Looking to take the family for a vrbo beach vacation in Orange County in september. Looking for recommendations on where exactly.

What im looking for:
>Rental or hotel on or very close to the beach
>fun waves right out front or within walking distance
>A couple of excursions for the kids within 20-30min drive; zoo, aquarium, musuem etc.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
In Newport: hotel solarena or Newport channel inn. Both are across the street from decently fun waves. Or just find a hotel near Huntington pier if you want to surf that zoo. Either Newport or Huntington are close enough to Long Beach Aquarium or Santa Ana Zoo.

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
San Clemente- fun waves and pretty laid back vibe. Could drive to Legoland in Carlsbad, etc. Nice hiking a few mins away. Better than the hustle bustle of Grutington or Newp's IMO.

Cheers, Belch

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
If you stay in the San Clemente Pier Bowl area, you will be within walking distance to waves as well as lots of restaurant/shopping options.

As Belchfire mentioned earlier, Legoland is roughly 30 minutes away with no traffic. They have an aquarium there, as well as your standard amusement / waterpark.

San Diego Wild Animal Park is a little further out in Escondido, but well worth a visit.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
surfy1476 said:
>A couple of excursions for the kids within 20-30min drive; zoo, aquarium, musuem etc.
This could be tough...there is always traffic

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
tacos said:
In Newport: hotel solarena or Newport channel inn. Both are across the street from decently fun waves. Or just find a hotel near Huntington pier if you want to surf that zoo. Either Newport or Huntington are close enough to Long Beach Aquarium or Santa Ana Zoo.
x10....SOLID advice
traffic? more common than sanity

Belchfire1

Nep status
Jun 27, 2013
Encinitas
SC is a good time, I would check it out. Newport would be cool, too. But, waaay overpriced for me. Maybe stay a night or 2 there and see which one you like best.

Cheers
Belch

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Carlsbad waves out front plenty of food and shops. Kids legoland, scripps, fleet science, birch aqaurium, etc.
https://www.museumofmakingmusic.org/

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
If you stay in the San Clemente Pier Bowl area, you will be within walking distance to waves as well as lots of restaurant/shopping options.

As Belchfire mentioned earlier, Legoland is roughly 30 minutes away with no traffic. They have an aquarium there, as well as your standard amusement / waterpark.

San Diego Wild Animal Park is a little further out in Escondido, but well worth a visit.
X2. The Wild Animal park isn't that far away and is a great place to visit.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
San Clemente X3. If you get the right house your family may not want to leave town to do amusements and other stuff. Last time out we rented a house near the pier. Linda Lane Park was right down the street which would have a nice playground for little kids. The bike path is right there. The house was equipped with bicycles, skateboards and everything you could want for the beach including a couple of beat up surfboards. A perfect location. Could walk to surf the pier, T-Street and a couple of other peaks. Short drive to Trestles or Salt Creek. Short walk to the pier, dining and shopping. Short drive to the SHCC. Short drive to the San Clemente skate park. There's a wally mart nearby for provisioning.

Take a look at this area on VRBO: https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4236134,-117.6219837,18z

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
I second SC or Carlsbad. Oceanside is on the cheaper side and has plenty of lodging near the beach.

with kids though I would stay in pacific beach in SD. Nice beaches and laid back.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I love San Clemente when I visit friends there. Good beach vibe. Nice beach for the kids, San Onofre for surfing if you want to sit in line in the AM, Surfing Heritage Surf Museum for a bit of surf nostalgia. Ask for Barry to show you around. Surf the Pier area. Good restaurants. Not too zooey -like Huntington or Newport beach. Dana Point north just up on Pacific Coast Highway.

Maybe San Diego too like it's been suggested.