OR Coastal erbbers

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Works out that I have a few days (Fri-Sun) to hit the coast from the HIGH desert, probably around Pacific City (rather spend more time in water than driving :shrug: ) . I will be traveling sans family, will have a cooler with libations and snacks, a surfboard, maybe a skateboard and pads and some fishing gear. Not sure about bringing a bunch of stuff cause I would hate to get it ripped off.
I will be the haole sleeping in his car, with a shet eating grin on his face because I haven't been in saltwater for a while.
It would be a pleasure to meet more erbbers, so if anyone is interested, a few rounds on me! :cheers:
Keep it on the down low, or let the world know. Either way, I'm getting wet, and hopefully getting some decent waves.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Trip recap for all who still care:

1. Surf wise - I surfed a few times between Washington and California. I've surfed better and I've surfed worse. It felt great to me!
2. Quite a few characters gravitate to the coast, especially for the Labor Day weekend. Talked to one guy who had moved to OR from Montana 20 years ago, and he told me the surf scene has gotten too crowded these days.
3. Oogled OR 8's and 9's (CA 4's and 5's) whilst downing pints in the sun close to the sand.
4. Was kinda surprised by the amount of SUPers, as in there was a lot more stabbing of waves going on then I thought necessary.
5. Watched a few Dory boat launch mishaps.
6. Using the pictures off the erbb, I swear I saw Bloomies 8 or 10 times at least.
7. Chatted up some older lady writer who wrote books about animal abuse. She hated Michael Vick, was pretty full of herself, and ordered a clam chowder to go. I brought up my dog meat market experiences in Vietnam, and how some people have to eat, and I hope clams don't have feelings too.
8. Walked through a lot of sand.
9. Sleeping in your car is easier after several pints, :smokin: and two surfs.
10. Missed any erbbers, although found out that I was at the same beach as one, but hadn't given out my new local number. :foreheadslap:
11. Seeing a ton of whales made me think of the 808.
12. It was warm enough to use my old O'Neil 4/3 I've owned since San Francisco. No hood or boots needed this trip! :jam_on:
13. Paddling against the current in the Deschutes definitely helped my surfing, although maybe not as much as the power squats. :dancing:

:wave2:

bigtuna

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 29, 2010
NE
Nice recap Harry, glad to see you keeping the stock alive! Those little 2-3 day car camping missions are the best :hat:

Q_Surf

Duke status
May 5, 2003
world's largest oregon
:cheers:

you shoulda said hey to bloomies

i'm crowd-shy so i mostly worked & caught up on some house stuff this wknd - but we're going after waves and kings all week starting tomorrow.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
glad you got a few Harry.

crowds were thick this weekend at the obvious spots.

I guess everyone "surfs" or at least owns a surfboard now.

waves were nothing special. kind of a weird swell that wasn't hitting everywhere.

surfed mostly alone off the beaten path, just how I like it.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Too bad we missed you out there. We had a great crew all weekend I would have been stoked to introduce you to.

A friend took a video of the landlord cruising the lineup a bit south on Sunday a few minutes after he'd gotten out and then yesterday afternoon after I'd headed home, a different friend found himself up close and personal with a 15 footer in PC, right where all the groms had been surfing all weekend. Cleared the lineup and several people saw it. Unnerving to say the least. Careful out there folks.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
We try......

Funny recap….. Brohampton is a trip these days. Guess a whitey chased everyone out yest afternoon there? Know some of the characters you mention. Labor Day weekend is a blast. Classic late summer early fall weather is usually the case. Cool nights and mornings give way to crispy sunny warm days with zero marine layer moving in and out. That said it’s wet, cool, and grey today so we lucked out! And in my 25 years surfing the coast from north to south have never seen so many dang whales!

Was camped out with a few families not too far south of you on a private property at a popular state park. Prob the most user friendly in the state, which I had almost forgotten about. Hadn’t been there in 12yrs? Kids had a blast and daughter got some of her best rides yet. Fun to be in the mix, but have the option to go back to our little abode. Found some fun Dad waves with zero to a few heads. Typhon Lionrock swell popped yest, 3 at 18 with AM offshores! Bit of a paddle fest but pulled into a few HH tubes..... been months.

Old timer I got to chatting with in the neighborhood mentioned that was the most people he had ever seen at the state park. Didn’t find it that crowded, but used to the north coast crowds so….. Population has definitely accelerated rapidly in the last several years many being outdoor enthusiasts. We were the top state for people moving in for the 3rd year in a row now I think. Social media has been hard on a lot of beautiful places. Some dipshits pushed over an epic geological sandstone feature that often get gram'ed at PC last week. It was millions of years old.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I love a good surf report.

Bloomies sighting!

HarryLopez said:
Trip recap for all who still care:

1. Surf wise - I surfed a few times between Washington and California. I've surfed better and I've surfed worse. It felt great to me!
2. Quite a few characters gravitate to the coast, especially for the Labor Day weekend. Talked to one guy who had moved to OR from Montana 20 years ago, and he told me the surf scene has gotten too crowded these days.
3. Oogled OR 8's and 9's (CA 4's and 5's) whilst downing pints in the sun close to the sand.
4. Was kinda surprised by the amount of SUPers, as in there was a lot more stabbing of waves going on then I thought necessary.
5. Watched a few Dory boat launch mishaps.
6. Using the pictures off the erbb, I swear I saw Bloomies 8 or 10 times at least.
7. Chatted up some older lady writer who wrote books about animal abuse. She hated Michael Vick, was pretty full of herself, and ordered a clam chowder to go. I brought up my dog meat market experiences in Vietnam, and how some people have to eat, and I hope clams don't have feelings too.
8. Walked through a lot of sand.
9. Sleeping in your car is easier after several pints, :smokin: and two surfs.
10. Missed any erbbers, although found out that I was at the same beach as one, but hadn't given out my new local number. :foreheadslap:
11. Seeing a ton of whales made me think of the 808.
12. It was warm enough to use my old O'Neil 4/3 I've owned since San Francisco. No hood or boots needed this trip! :jam_on:
13. Paddling against the current in the Deschutes definitely helped my surfing, although maybe not as much as the power squats. :dancing:

:wave2:

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
SeaFoamGreen said:
Some dipshits pushed over an epic geological sandstone feature that often get gram'ed at PC last week. It was millions of years old.
I saw that story. Idiots. Any truth to the rumor of why they did it...something about how a friend of theirs hurt himself jumping off it or something?

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Mr Doof said:
SeaFoamGreen said:
Some dipshits pushed over an epic geological sandstone feature that often get gram'ed at PC last week. It was millions of years old.
I saw that story. Idiots. Any truth to the rumor of why they did it...something about how a friend of theirs hurt himself jumping off it or something?
Yes, they said it was because their friend broke their leg on it.

People like that should be shot instantly. There's no need for a trial, we have it on video.

If being stupid is likely to cause death, then people will strive to be less stupid

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Staying Central this time. Will have the fam with, but bringing boards and maybe try for some surf perch as well. Offer will always stand for beers on me! :wave2: