Opening Day at The Wave in Bristol, England

~rwright~

Michael Peterson status
Apr 14, 2015
Los Angeles~California!
i was able to surf Palm Springs + Irvine, years ago, kinda fun!
Fun too was watchin' big Allen Sarlo hit it, Slambresi like~a~machine,
lil' Kelly shred, Chris Brown do his wrap~a~round thingie...

I'd surf any, any, any of thee newer wave parkz, any day, just for thee novelty of it,
as long as there's none of lil' Griff's doodies a~floatin 'round...

:p

Last edited:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Where they will make their money is dads. Put your kids to bed at 8pm. Get to the pool and surf 9-10pm, back home for Cobert and then sleep.
Have family in Bristol, My cousin surfed this opening day and a few times before it opened.
For him spending the money to optimize his time and get waves is perfect, with 2 kids he cant just book off down the coast
he will go about 2-3 a month he said and he is not a baller

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Looks like a really fun wave. I'd imagine that in an area where conditions are fickle (especially with the huge tidal shift) this is a great way to guarantee at least a few waves.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Have family in Bristol, My cousin surfed this opening day and a few times before it opened.
For him spending the money to optimize his time and get waves is perfect, with 2 kids he cant just book off down the coast
he will go about 2-3 a month he said and he is not a baller
This.

I can move away from the beach now and put the money I save on rent on the wave pool.

#notaballereitherthoughihavelargeballs

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I'd have no problem spending decent money to surf a fun wave in a pool. Hell, in the past I spent 1000's on ski lift passes. What's the difference?

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I'm totally going to surf the wave parks.

I don't think it will make the ocean more crowded. It will make people lazy and not put in the extra work nature requires.

I disagree. it might take the heat off low hype/under the radar days.

Based off my sample size of one. I met a guy this summer, English guy who "learnt' to surf in Snowdonia.
went every weekend.

now he considered himself graduated and was ready for the ocean.

that may happen a bit.

what I'm trying to say is experienced surfers might cede the space to go surf in pools and pay less rent, but the reverse migration from kooks who have done the tub and are now ready for the ocean may be a much larger numerical force.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
what I'm trying to say is experienced surfers might cede the space to go surf in pools and pay less rent, but the reverse migration from kooks who have done the tub and are now ready for the ocean may be a much larger numerical force.
Yeah, my friend was as of the same mind as you.

You could be right.

The park becomes scaffolding to train would be ocean surfers.

I'm glad I'm old and crippled because it's easier to recall my dreams of halcyon days without too much pain and my wave lust is at a point that I can regulate it without too much work.

Just wheel me to the wave park and throw me in the water.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
Not for surfers who have money/jobs.

De-democratizing surfing is what it's all about.

Think of how much surfers pay for waves when they travel.

I've spent thousands only to be skunked.

I like traveling so.

That is ok.

I used to take two trips per year.

That would be around 5 grand.

I wonder how many waves I could get for that.
Yup. Wind, tide, swell interval, direction all have to come together for a really good day. Wave pools eliminate many of those variables. Unless there's a mechanical failure or brain eating amoeba in the water, can schedule and almost guarantee your trip will be good. Suddenly Lemoore is ocean front.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
My days of effectively fighting the pack for good waves are behind me. Even when I could do it, I wasn't crazy about that game.

The wave machine gives an elderly surfer like myself a new lease on life.

Wheel me to the wave pool and push me off the edge.

Maybe I will drown and that will be one less surfer in the world.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
There is an indoor water park in S. Dakota that's open year round. I imagine the same could be done for a wave pool.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
My days of effectively fighting the pack for good waves are behind me. Even when I could do it, I wasn't crazy about that game.

The wave machine gives an elderly surfer like myself a new lease on life.

Wheel me to the wave pool and push me off the edge.

Maybe I will drown and that will be one less surfer in the world.
I don't like this talk.

The other factor is boredom.

I haven't surfed a tub but the only crew I've spoken to who have all brought up the boredom factor.

Are experienced surfers really going to be Jizzing over the completely known known of weak 2-3ft man made surf?

I mean, in the long term once the novelty wears off?

Sure, workadaddies who've put the kids to bed, but would people move inland for it?

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta

Sure, workadaddies who've put the kids to bed, but would people move inland for it?
Yeah, it could get boring without too many types of waves. Though, if they can dial up the size to 2-3' OH, no, I can't see myself getting bored.

As far as moving inland, that's more about the price of living on the coast, not the attraction of a wave pool. For me, it would be more like "yeah, I have to move inland. I could move here with the hope that I can surf between trips."

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
Yeah, it could get boring without too many types of waves. Though, if they can dial up the size to 2-3' OH, no, I can't see myself getting bored.

As far as moving inland, that's more about the price of living on the coast, not the attraction of a wave pool. For me, it would be more like "yeah, I have to move inland. I could move here with the hope that I can surf between trips."
Exactly. Maybe a new job with better pay comes up, but its inland. You can move to a cheaper area, live comfortably, put your kids in good schools and still get a sesh or two per week in a wavepool. And afford to take you family on a surf trip or two per year. It is as good as living at the beach? No way! Is it better than nothing? Absolutely.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
I don't like this talk.

I haven't surfed a tub but the only crew I've spoken to who have all brought up the boredom factor.

Are experienced surfers really going to be Jizzing over the completely known known of weak 2-3ft man made surf?

I mean, in the long term once the novelty wears off?

I've seen fights over $hittier waves than in the video. We've all been through summer flat spells, yet we keep at it.

Maybe I'm old school, or just old, but I don't know if I could get bored of a barrel or the chance at one.

Sure, it's not Pipe or Cloudbreak but for an average kook like me a consistent wave that shows up when I do would be paradise.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
The equation will be different in Australia.
There'll be no pools inland because no-one lives there and there's no water supplies ...so moving inland to save money by surfing the tub (which I doubt the economics would work out for me anyway- ie the savings on rent would be gobbled up by the pool and OS travel) won't be an option and fcuk that noise anyhow.

Pools will be in the capital cities which are the highest cost locations to live. So they'll suit workadaddies in the cities and adult learner kooks with a disposable income and rich kids.

That might take some of the pressure off mid-week regional classic locations, like where I live and probably add massively to weekend and holiday crowds.

I think I can live with that.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

You won't get bored? Sure>?
The fiftieth time you have to squat down to fit into that micro barrel , which is exactly the same as the last 49 you won't be bored? What about the 500th time?
Human psychology argues against you.
We're hardwired to crave novelty.

I think a law of diminishing returns will set in fairly quickly, just like it did viewing the best in the world at Slaters Tub.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
You won't get bored? Sure>?
The fiftieth time you have to squat down to fit into that micro barrel , which is exactly the same as the last 49 you won't be bored? What about the 500th time?
Human psychology argues against you.
We're hardwired to crave novelty.

I think a law of diminishing returns will set in fairly quickly, just like it did viewing the best in the world at Slaters Tub.
I'd get bored for sure, but I think the flip side is that I'd be in surf shape for the trips I do get to take. Add to that the fact that inland cities' cost of living is like 1/3 or coastal CA's and our surf seems to be less consistent than ever recently, and I can see the appeal.

Not rushing to sign myself up for that life, but do I see the appeal.