Oops...

2surf

Duke status
Apr 12, 2004
California USA
www.allcare.com
More than 3 million Californians with federally compliant Real ID driver's licenses will have to provide a second proof of address after the Department of Motor Vehicles failed to ask for it.

The Department of Homeland Security sent a letter to Gov. Gavin Newsom Monday informing him that the DMV did not follow federal guidelines when processing the documents.

The DMV says 3.4 million Californians have obtained Real ID licenses. The department plans to contact them.

The agency says people can make up the requirement by returning a letter from the DMV by mail. They can visit a field office or check online.

Americans must have Real ID cards by October 2020 if they want to board airplanes or enter federal facilities without using a passport.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
LOL. I went to the DMV last week to get my license renewed and get a Real ID. I had an appointment and the whole process was pretty quick except for actually getting the Real ID. I brought a copy of my W2 instead of the real thing (since my CPA has it for taxes) and got denied. Ended up just getting a regular license as I have passport and Global Entry for flying.

While I was there I probably saw 4-5 people get shot down for Real IDs for not having the right documentation. Not sure if we are all dummies or the DMV is now being crazy strict.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Drumsurf said:
LOL. I went to the DMV last week to get my license renewed and get a Real ID. I had an appointment and the whole process was pretty quick except for actually getting the Real ID. I brought a copy of my W2 instead of the real thing (since my CPA has it for taxes) and got denied. Ended up just getting a regular license as I have passport and Global Entry for flying.

While I was there I probably saw 4-5 people get shot down for Real IDs for not having the right documentation. Not sure if we are all dummies or the DMV is now being crazy strict.
The DMV failed to state on their website that you needed two bills showing proof of address. My wife went through it first so I got advance inside knowledge.

But yeah, basically just bring your normal DL, passport, Social Security card, two separate utility bills, and a smile for the camera and you are golden. I had to go to DMV last Friday anyways to get my temporary handicap placard, killed two birds with one stone. Didn't make appointment but burned a couple beforehand and brought a book, made the wait quite tolerable. Took the day off work so was in no major rush. I probably could have cut the main line by going into the handicapped line but only saw two 176 year old women get wheeled up there. Had too much pride to go up there with just crutches and a walking boot and with the line, I probably would have beat myself to death for trying to cut it that way. :roflmao:

SrPato

Miki Dora status
Jul 12, 2005
San Buena Ventura
I had an appointment this morning for my Real ID. Everything went pretty smooth considering that I wasn't even aware of the 2nd proof of residence needed. I received a notice in the mail that my license expires in June and I could sign up for the REAL ID. There's a check list of necessary documents that the DMV provided. However, the checklist does not state a 2nd form of proof is needed. IT is however, printed in small print at the bottom of the paper. Well, thankfully my W2 form has my home address on it and they accepted it. I believe you can also show your vehicle registration as well. Anyhoo, the process was so much easier that in the past, just show up 15 minutes before your scheduled appt time, go to the kiosk and register, take your 8 digit reg number to the appt line, have them verify all documentation, get assigned a wait number, wait another 15 minutes for your appoint, give them passports, thumbprints and $36 and voila! Now go stand in another line to get your picture taken and your current CDL punched and you're on your way.
Actually, it wasn't all that bad, I was in and out in less than an hour.
:wave2:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
SrPato said:
I had an appointment this morning for my Real ID. Everything went pretty smooth considering that I wasn't even aware of the 2nd proof of residence needed. I received a notice in the mail that my license expires in June and I could sign up for the REAL ID. There's a check list of necessary documents that the DMV provided. However, the checklist does not state a 2nd form of proof is needed. IT is however, printed in small print at the bottom of the paper. Well, thankfully my W2 form has my home address on it and they accepted it. I believe you can also show your vehicle registration as well. Anyhoo, the process was so much easier that in the past, just show up 15 minutes before your scheduled appt time, go to the kiosk and register, take your 8 digit reg number to the appt line, have them verify all documentation, get assigned a wait number, wait another 15 minutes for your appoint, give them passports, thumbprints and $36 and voila! Now go stand in another line to get your picture taken and your current CDL punched and you're on your way.
Actually, it wasn't all that bad, I was in and out in less than an hour.
:wave2:
Nice! The DMV goes pretty smoothly if you are prepared. Anyone who has watched Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy understands Vogons and how to work with them.

San Clemente DMV is pretty smooth. Usually in and out pretty fast, even without an appointment; I just happened to go when everyone in CapoUSD is on spring break and getting their drivers licenses. Alas. But I brought a book and it was nice downtime away from work, wife, and kids.

Looking forward to getting jury duty and rinse/repeat. Fire up a couple bowls, bring a good book, and chill. Possibly grab a few brews during lunch if they don't let me out early to sneak in a surf for the remainder of the day. :beer: :smokin: :drunk: :jam_on:

isurfcardiff

OTF status
May 8, 2014
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/connect/2db22455-e270-47a3-819c-d7c7716d5194/List_of_Docs_REALID.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

This has everything you need to know.