Online guitar lessons?

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
fender has online classes but there not free. I think a teacher in real life is the way to go..technique is everything and if youre just learning song by song, its not really teaching you much but how to copy stuff.

Alot of irl lessons are relatively cheap or find a college kid who rips already and pay them.

drunjk

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 27, 2017
can anyone recommend anything for piano?
4ths, minor arpeggi of each in succession
c
f
bb
eb
ab
c#
f#
b
e
a
d
g
c

learn three different repeating patterns of stacked minor 3rds

play 4 note arpeggio of any scale (or stack of above mentioned minor thirds), start the next 4 note arpeggio on 2nd note of previous, repeat, take to physiological limits of articulation in any given span of time, add 6ths or 7ths

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I started off with a teacher which was very good - one teacher was better than the other though so you could try more than one. I'm now only using YouTube and yes It's:
Justin Guitar
Shutup and Play
Marty Schwartz
Maholo.com - nice girls who give lessons, like when there's girls out in the lineup - just a nice feel to it.
Mundo Musica Nacho Martin - From Spain - the guy speaks Spanish only but he plays great rock songs - he puts up tab as he plays really well so you can get your fretting information quickly and he's not speaking, just playing - he's really good - that tab takes some time to add in - he really puts in the effort.

When running YouTube - on the keyboard 1 puts you 10% in, 2 20% in, etc.
But here's the killer app - letter J is back 10 secs - K is pause/play - L is forward 10 secs - which is fantastic for lessons but I got to thinking is there a footswitch - found them on Ebay "USB Triple Foot Switch" cheap at $35 or less - you load their software in and assign left switch as J, middle K, Right L. Oh man you can rewind that YouTube instructor 10 - 20 seconds back over and over and over again until you figure out what they're doing. It is so good - and so cheap. And you can slow YouTube down, too.

Also as you first play you'll just strum up and down and be glad to get a chord. But there is an actual pattern to the strumming in every song. Sometimes it's just lifting your pick up higher on a couple strums which changes the timing slightly - you think they're strumming harder but it's just a longer stroke which changes the timing. It took me a long time to pay attention to strum patterns but they are very important.

rts265

Phil Edwards status
Oct 19, 2007
Someone here was playing a classical piece reading sheet music. I was impressed.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
We have pros

I've been playing for the vast majority of my life and I'm terrible
#metoo

I record one bar and loop it on the Logic Pro.

Lazy

I'm one of those people who is too excited about playing and am blah blah blah talking about how much I love music, and then I pick up the guitar and suck.

I know really good players who don't say nothing.

I would rather be one of those people.

But I am a weak man. :poop:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: PJ and Ifallalot

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
I like books more than video, personally

This one is really great for chords:

1591732809672.jpeg

this one is really great for scales and jazz lines:

1591732929054.jpeg

you will also learn to read music as you go through these, particularly the scales book

I move very slowly through these books— on the chords book, I stopped after the first 25 pages for about 3 yrs as this was the open chords and barre chords which cover everything you need to know for rock

only after I got those down did I move on in the book to the jazz chords. I’ve since covered about 50 pages in 9 months. Sometimes i spend weeks on a single page. I find progress comes in bursts

the scales/modes book is really more aimed at jazz only with a goal of learning how to begin to improvise

lt is arranged around chords so it is a very good accompaniment once you get deeper into the chords book

Guitar is a lot of fun and it’s really cool to learn how to do things almost automatically that at first you thought would be impossible and that you would never learn

Reactions: PJ

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I like books more than video, personally

This one is really great for chords:

View attachment 92570

this one is really great for scales and jazz lines:

View attachment 92571

you will also learn to read music as you go through these, particularly the scales book

I move very slowly through these books— on the chords book, I stopped after the first 25 pages for about 3 yrs as this was the open chords and barre chords which cover everything you need to know for rock

only after I got those down did I move on in the book to the jazz chords. I’ve since covered about 50 pages in 9 months. Sometimes i spend weeks on a single page. I find progress comes in bursts

the scales/modes book is really more aimed at jazz only with a goal of learning how to begin to improvise

lt is arranged around chords so it is a very good accompaniment once you get deeper into the chords book

Guitar is a lot of fun and it’s really cool to learn how to do things almost automatically that at first you thought would be impossible and that you would never learn

Don't forget songwriting: