One Shaper Quiver

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Nautilus has become my one board quiver. It's all I'm riding. (fish is in repair and stamps is looking a little small with winter gear on and my winter weight). Super easy to get into waves with a 7'0 with a lot of foam in the front. Handles the bigger surf with ease and goes well in stuff as small as 2-3 ft. Does seem to track a little but that is probably more about the size and the indian, not the arrow. For me, 44,. surf when I can in VB, it's great. Overall, I love the board but really I'm not all that good of a surfer or judge of how the board can perform. I think trip does a does a very fair review at Real that will really answer how the board can do. Interestingly, surfer rosa is almost identical in shape, read his review of this also.

-VaB

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Full disclosure, I have a bunch of Tomos (XTR + 1 FW Omni). Almost all overlap for 3-6' waves, so doesn't really count as a full quiver though.
Man, you guys love Stamps and Stretch! I guess I tend to associate a shaper with a certain board design or certain waves. I feel like very few are truly capable of being good at a wide variety of boards. Jack of all trades = master of none... But maybe that's my own hang-up.

Like Aruka said, I like trying different boards too much to go all-in with one shaper. Just counted and I have boards from 10 shapers. For example: I've been having a blast riding twin fishes and love getting to know the differences between different shapers' versions of the same design. Based off that, I almost feel like I could ride one of the twins for 70% of SoCal conditions. but that's a different thought experiment

Last edited:
Reactions: Bman76

xmesa

Nep status
Jul 25, 2014
For me... i guess you can tell i'm from N. OC

Meeks

Stamps

Surf RX
you name it, doc has a winning design

OakFoils
can't beat precision custom, Wayne is the fuckin man

stretch has been mentioned but i've had really hot/cold experiences with my (all) second hand stretch boards... 99% archer problem

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
For me... i guess you can tell i'm from N. OC

Meeks

Stamps

Surf RX
you name it, doc has a winning design

OakFoils
can't beat precision custom, Wayne is the fuckin man

stretch has been mentioned but i've had really hot/cold experiences with my (all) second hand stretch boards... 99% archer problem
I fully support you going down a Stretch rabbit hole at some point in your life.

• Wow
Reactions: johnson7 and xmesa

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
I'm doing this for sure. Not for my entire quiver, obviously, but I'm definitely simplifying and consolidating my everyday choices and going with Pyzel.

Not only have I found that I really click with the boards, but they're also really easy to order from, which is a HUGE plus. Quiver will probably look like:

5'11 phantom (already have)
6'0 Shadow + Backup (have one but it was ultra light glass and is lucky to still be alive)
6'1 Radius (already have)
6'2 Shadow RT (maybe)
6'2 Ghost (Already have)
6'4 - 6'8 Ghost (Not sure, haven't decided, maybe both just cause I love boards in this range so much)

I feel like sticking with a single shaper has definitely improved my surfing as there's less riding style variance required going from shape to shape. I also feel like I do a better job of selecting the right board for the conditions.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Sometimes I feel like selling all my boards (20ish) and getting 4-5 boards from one shaper to cover all my bases... these are the dumb things that run through my head.

So which shaper and which models?
Im thinking Stretch: 2win Fish, Buzzsaw, some Buzz model (below the Buzzsaw), 2win
I have nice Stretch quiver covers some ground:
Gbuzz
Super buzz
Buzzdaw
F4
2x4 step up
MIni quiver MC shaped Campbell Brothers
MIni log ewing 5 fin bonzer pintail
Alpha Omega Twin

Last edited:

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I'm doing this for sure. Not for my entire quiver, obviously, but I'm definitely simplifying and consolidating my everyday choices and going with Pyzel.

Not only have I found that I really click with the boards, but they're also really easy to order from, which is a HUGE plus. Quiver will probably look like:

5'11 phantom (already have)
6'0 Shadow + Backup (have one but it was ultra light glass and is lucky to still be alive)
6'1 Radius (already have)
6'2 Shadow RT (maybe)
6'2 Ghost (Already have)
6'4 - 6'8 Ghost (Not sure, haven't decided, maybe both just cause I love boards in this range so much)

I feel like sticking with a single shaper has definitely improved my surfing as there's less riding style variance required going from shape to shape. I also feel like I do a better job of selecting the right board for the conditions.
I think an Astro Glider / Pyzalien 2 / Ghost quiver would cover a lot of ground.

Reactions: Dick Bananas

ciscojaws

Michael Peterson status
Jul 28, 2008
Kook City, VA
I think an Astro Glider / Pyzalien 2 / Ghost quiver would cover a lot of ground.
Isn't that what the Gremlin/Phantom/Ghost is supposed to be? I really like this idea - although those boards have the opposite rockers of what I like.

Bottom Feeder or maybe Hydra
Uber Driver XL
Driver XL or Mini Driver

That would work for me.

Uberkuque

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 19, 2014
A bit off the point but all my boards are local: Jeff McCallum, Gary Goodrum (3), Jason Bennett, Tim Bessell, Mark Wisdom. Sometimes I wonder if I'm missing out by not going w bigger names like Lost or CI, which many of my friends swear by.

A lot of overlap in my boards, too many in the 5'10-6' range. Oh well. Its so much easier to buy a board on impulse than it is to sell it! So if I were to reconfigure my quiver that'd take a lot of work.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
...A lot of overlap in my boards ... Oh well. Its so much easier to buy a board on impulse than it is to sell it! ...
This. I feel so understood.

ciscojaws- that was definitely the idea behind the Pyzel trio. It's a genius concept to capitalize on the success of the Ghost. But it seems like while the Ghost is almost universally loved, the other two (Gremlin, Phantom) are not, with more varied reviews. So, I've talked myself into "needing" to add a Ghost for good waves, but don't have a strong desire to try the others. I already have boards I know work for me in daily/avg. conditions.

Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Pretty board through this pandemic deal so now I'm building hypothetical one shaper quivers...

Lost:

5'8 Puddle Jumper HP
5'9 Lost Rad Ripper
5'11 Sub Driver Swallow
6'0 Driver 2.0
6'2 Sabotaj
6'4 Retro Gun
6'8 Retro Gun
7'4 Retro Gun
8'4 Retro Gun

Stretch:

2win Fish
5'10 Buzz Saw
6'0 IWNW
6'1 Square One
6'2 2x4
6'6 Buzz Mini Gun (Not sure if they make this but i'd ask)
7'0 Buzz Mini Gun
7'4 Comp Gun
8'0 Buzz Gun
9'0 Buzz Gun

Reactions: retodd and daave