One Shaper Quiver

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I have a pretty damn solid quiver of Von Sol boards that I could easily stick with exclusively,
and that would probably help my surfing, but I love to try others' designs too much and have
great boards by others I wouldn't want to give up.
VS:
5'8" Manta
6'2" Shadow
6'4" Time Machine
7'6" HPTC Mini Twinzer
9"3" HPTC
9'5" Slot Noserider
That could be plenty for me, but...I just can't. lol

I see the reasoning behind going with one brand for easy transition between them,
but there's so much I still want to dabble in that's out there calling to me. Ha

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I'm working towards this right now with Stretch, I think it's 100% easier to switch between boards made by the same shaper. There will always be other random boards in the mix but I want to have the "essentials" covered.

Now I have:

5'2" 2win fish - daily driver
5'10" thing - daily driver but not for me or our waves, selling
6'1" 2x4 - travel and barrel board
6'9" 2x4 - outer bar step up
8'0" buzz gun - proper outer bar (best big board ever)

I have a 5'10" 2win on order and I heard they have been doing some step-up twins in the 6'8" range...
I want to know more about Buzz Gun.

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Reactions: littlewave

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Pretty sure this was for sale in OC for $900 a while back.
That is why I want to know more about the buzz gun. I’m interested is this board.

Not for a G though.

Reactions: MathDebater

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
That is why I want to know more about the buzz gun. I’m interested is this board.

Not for a G though.
i have one almost the exact same dims. mines custom for me, 7-7 swallowtail quad working through its 4th winter.

very solid board in as big as you can paddle it into, which is about 15' around here. low nose rocker, parallel outline, accelerated tail rocker. paddles great fast and easy to turn in powerful surf.

def not a soft wave midlength substitute. wouldnt see much use in the shadow of point conception. not the board for small or weak or flat faced waves.

Reactions: jkb and urchined

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
i have one almost the exact same dims. mines custom for me, 7-7 swallowtail quad working through its 4th winter.

very solid board in as big as you can paddle it into, which is about 15' around here. low nose rocker, parallel outline, accelerated tail rocker. paddles great fast and easy to turn in powerful surf.

def not a soft wave midlength substitute. wouldnt see much use in the shadow of point conception. not the board for small or weak or flat faced waves.
It would be for north of conception.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
It would be for north of conception.
its a good design. not your conventional gun. has the look of a sized up tow board. size them depending on intended use.

i had a 7-0 but wouldnt recommend going smaller than 7-6. felt like the buzzgun rocker wanted a bigger wave and there were better board options for the waves a 7-0 handles

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
highly recommend the buzz gun. bought mine off the rack 5(?) seasons ago when i broke my other gun and it's been going strong ever since. my go-to when it's a big board wave

as the doctor says, unconventional looking but in my experience surfs in a way that's incredibly confidence inspiring. other key feature for me is deep vee in the nose that cuts thru chop and combined with the low rocker/parallel outline almost has a feeling of pulling you into and down the wave

very nimble for a big board (I weigh 155 and ride an 8'0" x 20.5" x 3.25"), I'm not doing turns but adjustments to set a line or pump for speed feel natural. mine is quad only and does a great high line speed run when you're trying to avoid the bottom of the wave

would like to try a 9'0" as well for more bigger / out to sea waves

Reactions: doc_flavonoid

kane

Michael Peterson status
Sep 30, 2003
I could be happy one stop shopping at stamps and save some cash compared to other shapers. Brian bulkley or Maurice gyenes also can make anything among countless others. I find it fun trying different shapers boards though.

cjs2002

Nep status
Jan 24, 2008
I could get down with a full GH quiver. Great grovelers, fish, bonzers, step ups and logs