One footed bootie

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Not sure if there is a thread on this or not... but doesnt anyone else think its lame to wear a bootie on one foot? Or am I being too critical of people?

In a practical sense, I don't see how 1 bootie is going to keep you any warmer than no bootie at all?

In a functional sense, I guess it could provide more grip, but there is some pretty stick wax on the market right now that could solve that problem. Unless the water is so cold that your wax just isn't working... in which case you'll most likely need 2 booties in order to just stay warm.

In a fashion sense, I think it looks pretty freakin stupid.

Am I wrong and being over critical?

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I once had a deep cut on the bottom of my foot and had to wear one bootie while it healed. I got made fun of but it was better than not surfing.Or you talking about wearing one for getting grip to do airs?

Reactions: sdsrfr and mundus

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I was thinking of wearing one because I kept getting little cuts on my right foot, which I thought must be from a fin, but then noticed a pressure dent near the back right side of the traction pad on the rail where the the glass had cracked and was sticking out a little like a micro saw.

Also, I saw a Salas video the other day where he was talking about bone spurs or something on the ball of his right foot from surfing and wore one bootie for extra cushion. Said he knows others with the same problem.

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
If I had to wear one for a cut or something, I think I’d just go ahead and wear the second bootie. I secretly love when it’s cold enough to wear booties cause I don’t mind extra grip on those sick 10’ airs… and the rock entry at some of my winter spots is sketchy af

Reactions: jkb and MathDebater

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I wear a booty on my back foot when the water starts getting cold. Eventually the front foot gets one too.

That is my current setup.

1. it eases the transition from bare to booty and delays getting the front foot booty on.

2. even when my front foot goes numb the warm back foot serves as a surrogate feeler for the front.

I started doing it because of a bunion and wore a booty on my back foot year round for several years. Even when trunking it.

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
It makes sense in Indo, when you might want to put a foot down to avoid getting cheese grated, but you don't want booties to feel like an anchor.

If someone's wearing one in cold water, it's likely injury related.

Oct 16, 2017
A mate of mine had a cut on his right foot (Back foot) that turned into a sea ulcer because he wouldnt take the time out of the water, ended up surfing with one bootie for 3 years in pain and finally had a proper injury that kept him out long enough for it to heal. Kind of weird seeing him without the bootie now

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest