Ollie's Point: does it work anymore?

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Heard conflicting things about the wave at Ollie's since a major storm a year or two ago. Anyone been there recently and have any intel?

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Never understood all the trouble and $$$ even at its bezt for a mushburger and if its adventure and less crowds why not go to witch's rock and Santa Rosa:shrug:

Reactions: parkiteric

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Don't most people go to Witches on the way up? They're right next to each other.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Yes but you can drive into witches no need for boat:shaka:
Not sure why you want to drive to Witches either. Both times I've been there have been shitty, but Ollies was pumping better than Kelly's wave machine on the same day. But, I have no idea what Ollies looks like now, been about 5 years since I've gone up there. Just skip it and to Nica instead.

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
So Agreed with Peter DJ, the boat $ etc etc why bother , would never ever go back to that area , and Ollies never went off , witches is a fun wave but the 30 minute boat ride access ? pass

flyinraptr

Michael Peterson status
Dec 18, 2008
San Juan del Sur, Nicaragua
On my bucket list .... there is an outfit in San Juan Del Sur that offers a 3-4 day sailing/surfing trip on a catamaran from SJDS - to Ollies/WR ... would be a cool trip. It's been about 5 yrs ... but last trip to Ollie's/WR - we drove up to Coco Beach early in the morning from the Tamarindo area. When we got to Coco Beach - the company we were using had their panga on a trailer and were backing into the water. The driver of the truck was apparently was still drunk from the night before and stopped too short (low tide) - the trailer got stuck in the sand. The company spent the next hour trying to get the trailer unstuck. Finally - they brought in another panga from the water and tied a rope to the panga that was still on the trailer and dragged it into the water. In doing so - they broke an oil line on the motor. They had to arrange for another panga to take us. We finally got to WR - i hopped off and started surfing .. Mrs. Flyinraptr - doesn't surf but i talked her into going on the premise we would do some snorkeling on the way back. At some point - she decided to take a dip in the water and unknowingly swam through a school of jelly fish. When i got back to the panga a couple of hours later - she was bleeding from both forearms - initially i though she fell and hit the boat - but when we pulled up the anchor it was covered in jellyfish. We obviously - cut the day short - by the time we got back to our hotel near Tamarindo - her arms/hands had swollen up to the point you couldn't see her knuckles - had to have a doctor come to the hotel room etc. Crazy thing - i spent about 3 hours in the water - not a scratch.

JeffRSpicoli

Nep status
Aug 9, 2019
Just adding an Ollie's story, probably posted it here before, but oh well feeling loquacious; been there about a dozen times (1995 - 2012), I think it's great wave had some memorable rides. Have never had Witches work for me on all the Ollie's excursions.

On one trip in 2010, my buddy and I had it all to ourselves, or so we thought.

5'-7' swell was an outstanding session. The paddle back out to the point involved paddling over a school of bait fish that were churning up the water: we both grew up surfing in Palm Beach County, FL so a familiar thing to us. After an hour or so as I was on top of the 'ball' of fish when the fish all jumped at once, sounded like a jet engine went off. So I'm thinking okay, predator, shark, "hands and in feet inside the car." I am just sitting still, remaining calm, looking slowly right to left, nothing for a few seconds, then about 10' - 15' away, what feels to me like a juvenile caiman or some sort of crocodile surfaces, maybe 6'-8' in length, I remember vividly her beautiful green eye with cat slit pupil. We stare at each other for a few seconds, I am calm, hopefully sending out the right karma, thinking okay I'm big your big, bye and I slowly paddle away to the point; she doesn't follow. I get to my bro and say "did you f-in see that I'm going to the boat." Shortening the story, back on the boat he convinces me to get back in the water, waves were really too good and solo session. After a ride I am way inside and in the face of a wave a BIG croc is swimming towards my bro: 12'-14'. I mean this is the momma bear. It's swimming at him he sees it as it is kind of circling, a wave comes he rides in on this belly. We make it back to the boat, pull into Playa del Coco for beer on the way back to Tamagringo.

Looking at the break it all makes sense with that river mouth right there, always heard about the croc at Witches before never anything about Ollie's.

shaheeb

OTF status
Feb 24, 2013
fookn crazy croc story

last went there 2015- witches was really fun 3'
ollies was almost head hi sets, both really fun, but ollies got a few boats that day.
one with wealthy entitled ticos from san juan that were barely intermediates, lots of drop ins, crowding take off spot, etc.....no etiquete whatsoever
killed the vibe instantly. too bad the croc didnt show up then...

taking one in

Nep status
Jun 16, 2008
Anyone who did the trip to Ollie's and WR might remember seeing a sailboat on the sand at WR.

This was when Witches Rock Surf Camp was a smaller operation -- must have been summer 2000 or 2001. They were walking around town advertising an overnight sailboat trip to WR and Ollies. We decided to go. Ollies was small; surfed Labrynths at about head high with some bigger sets. Got to Witches late; was fun sized with strong offshores. Everyone jumped in, including the Captain.

Apparently, the Captain decided to use the small anchor instead of the big anchor. As sun is beginning to set, sailboat starts drifting off to see. Captain goes paddling out to get it. Sun sets with no sign of the boat. Think there was 7 of us; we built a little hut out of sand, driftwood, and surfboards. We knew there was a ranger station at the other end of the beach, but none of us wanted anything to do with the rivermouth at night.

In the middle of the night, we see the light from the sailboat come inside the rock, and he's cruising up and down the beach, apparently looking for us. It's dark, we have no way to signal. Then, we see the light start going up and down, apparently he took the boat too close to the breaking waves.

Later, Captain gets the ranger; they start coming down the beach with flashlights. It was low tide then, we ran across the river and down toward the end of the beach. The sailboats keel was broken, and the boat was taking on water in about waste deep water, getting pounded by sets. We get our gear and salvage some of the captain's stuff, sleep the rest of the night on the beach on boardbags and such. Was kind of a bummer for the Captain. But if he would have just waited until morning, we would have been fine.

When we get up, there were big cat prints around where we were sleeping. Apparently, there's jaguars there.

Sailboat eventually got pushed up the beach by tide/waves. Not sure how long it stayed there; it was there at least a few years later. Didn't see it last time I was there, which was a while ago (probably at least ten years ago) -- Ollie's was fun that day -- hope it still works as I'd love to go back there some day.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Anyone who did the trip to Ollie's and WR might remember seeing a sailboat on the sand at WR.

This was when Witches Rock Surf Camp was a smaller operation -- must have been summer 2000 or 2001. They were walking around town advertising an overnight sailboat trip to WR and Ollies. We decided to go. Ollies was small; surfed Labrynths at about head high with some bigger sets. Got to Witches late; was fun sized with strong offshores. Everyone jumped in, including the Captain.

Apparently, the Captain decided to use the small anchor instead of the big anchor. As sun is beginning to set, sailboat starts drifting off to see. Captain goes paddling out to get it. Sun sets with no sign of the boat. Think there was 7 of us; we built a little hut out of sand, driftwood, and surfboards. We knew there was a ranger station at the other end of the beach, but none of us wanted anything to do with the rivermouth at night.

In the middle of the night, we see the light from the sailboat come inside the rock, and he's cruising up and down the beach, apparently looking for us. It's dark, we have no way to signal. Then, we see the light start going up and down, apparently he took the boat too close to the breaking waves.

Later, Captain gets the ranger; they start coming down the beach with flashlights. It was low tide then, we ran across the river and down toward the end of the beach. The sailboats keel was broken, and the boat was taking on water in about waste deep water, getting pounded by sets. We get our gear and salvage some of the captain's stuff, sleep the rest of the night on the beach on boardbags and such. Was kind of a bummer for the Captain. But if he would have just waited until morning, we would have been fine.

When we get up, there were big cat prints around where we were sleeping. Apparently, there's jaguars there.

Sailboat eventually got pushed up the beach by tide/waves. Not sure how long it stayed there; it was there at least a few years later. Didn't see it last time I was there, which was a while ago (probably at least ten years ago) -- Ollie's was fun that day -- hope it still works as I'd love to go back there some day.
January two years ago some Dutch guy left his yacht on the reef high and dry at Salsa Brava:drowning:I was wondering why no one salvaged it pretty nice boat:shrug:

Jan 19, 2018
You guys reckon that Witches Rock and Guanacaste region in general will have decent-solid (head-high/overhead) waves in November? Thinking of going there in mid-November and have heard mixed reviews; seems like the winds might be good and might be a good time for mixed south and NW swells? I'm looking at staying primarily around the Playa Negra area (since it seems to have the best waves vs playa grande, avellanas), but I can't tell if the waves are actually good for advanced surfing or if they are mush burgers suited for the intermediate type. I only have 7 days for a surf trip this year and want to maximize good waves somewhere in warm water!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Just adding an Ollie's story, probably posted it here before, but oh well feeling loquacious; been there about a dozen times (1995 - 2012), I think it's great wave had some memorable rides. Have never had Witches work for me on all the Ollie's excursions.

On one trip in 2010, my buddy and I had it all to ourselves, or so we thought.

5'-7' swell was an outstanding session. The paddle back out to the point involved paddling over a school of bait fish that were churning up the water: we both grew up surfing in Palm Beach County, FL so a familiar thing to us. After an hour or so as I was on top of the 'ball' of fish when the fish all jumped at once, sounded like a jet engine went off. So I'm thinking okay, predator, shark, "hands and in feet inside the car." I am just sitting still, remaining calm, looking slowly right to left, nothing for a few seconds, then about 10' - 15' away, what feels to me like a juvenile caiman or some sort of crocodile surfaces, maybe 6'-8' in length, I remember vividly her beautiful green eye with cat slit pupil. We stare at each other for a few seconds, I am calm, hopefully sending out the right karma, thinking okay I'm big your big, bye and I slowly paddle away to the point; she doesn't follow. I get to my bro and say "did you f-in see that I'm going to the boat." Shortening the story, back on the boat he convinces me to get back in the water, waves were really too good and solo session. After a ride I am way inside and in the face of a wave a BIG croc is swimming towards my bro: 12'-14'. I mean this is the momma bear. It's swimming at him he sees it as it is kind of circling, a wave comes he rides in on this belly. We make it back to the boat, pull into Playa del Coco for beer on the way back to Tamagringo.

Looking at the break it all makes sense with that river mouth right there, always heard about the croc at Witches before never anything about Ollie's.
Fuck that. Sharks at least will only bite you by mistake. Those crocs WILL eat you and be glad they did, fucking dinos. Wave pools are where it's at.

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
I was in CR last week riding a Mat and could've sworn a Gator was coming at me and scared the sh^t out me. I think it was a Turtle or was a Gator and just cruised off.

• Wow
Reactions: potato-nator

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
On our recent trip to playa grande my son and I caught a ferry ride across the river to tamarindo. Driver had a big ol scar on his arm from a local croc that got him when he went swimming up the river with his dog. Best 2 dollars you’ll spend.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
You guys reckon that Witches Rock and Guanacaste region in general will have decent-solid (head-high/overhead) waves in November? Thinking of going there in mid-November and have heard mixed reviews; seems like the winds might be good and might be a good time for mixed south and NW swells? I'm looking at staying primarily around the Playa Negra area (since it seems to have the best waves vs playa grande, avellanas), but I can't tell if the waves are actually good for advanced surfing or if they are mush burgers suited for the intermediate type. I only have 7 days for a surf trip this year and want to maximize good waves somewhere in warm water!
Start of the season on the Caribbean coast and may score early season and far from mushburger best tube in CR:shaka:

Jan 19, 2018
Start of the season on the Caribbean coast and may score early season and far from mushburger best tube in CR:shaka:
Cheers mate! I don't think I'll make it over to the Caribbean side; might have to just stick in one spot overall (Tamarindo/Playa Negra area) so hopefully will get some early season NW swells. If I'm extra lucky, maybe I'll even get some super late season south swell. Glad to hear that tubes are a-plenty, no time for mush burgers here!

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I would expect you would not have head-high/overhead surf in Guanacaste in November. I wouldn't expect overhead at any time of year. Wouldn't call it much of a surprise May-Sept, but if I wanted overhead surf in November I'd look elsewhere.

Grande can be a good wave for advanced surfers. When I was at Playa Negra the wave quality wasn't the problem - had decent vert and peel speed; it was the quantity. The times I was there it could support maybe 5 people if they were cool and the crowd was 8-10 including some turbo jockey who we eventually took turns paddling too deep while others surfed because he refused to ever let anyone else have priority uncontested, ever.

Cheers mate! I don't think I'll make it over to the Caribbean side; might have to just stick in one spot overall (Tamarindo/Playa Negra area) so hopefully will get some early season NW swells. If I'm extra lucky, maybe I'll even get some super late season south swell. Glad to hear that tubes are a-plenty, no time for mush burgers here!
He's telling you tubes are a-plenty at the crown jewel of the Carib side, not Tamarindo. If you want overhead tubes in November in trunks, the suggestion is Hawaii.

Reactions: MathDebater

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Flying into Liberia or San Jose? 4 hour drive to Puerto Viejo and very good chance you well score over head tubes:shaka: