Ollie's Point: does it work anymore?

Jan 19, 2018
I would expect you would not have head-high/overhead surf in Guanacaste in November. I wouldn't expect overhead at any time of year. Wouldn't call it much of a surprise May-Sept, but if I wanted overhead surf in November I'd look elsewhere.

Grande can be a good wave for advanced surfers. When I was at Playa Negra the wave quality wasn't the problem - had decent vert and peel speed; it was the quantity. The times I was there it could support maybe 5 people if they were cool and the crowd was 8-10 including some turbo jockey who we eventually took turns paddling too deep while others surfed because he refused to ever let anyone else have priority uncontested, ever.

He's telling you tubes are a-plenty at the crown jewel of the Carib side, not Tamarindo. If you want overhead tubes in November in trunks, the suggestion is Hawaii.
Sweet, this is the kind of advice I wanted to hear! I've heard crowds can be a problem up in the north just like you noted, so definitely something to consider. I've spent a few months in Costa Rica on a study-abroad years ago, but only got to surf around Playa Hermosa which was pretty shite. Never been over to the Caribbean side and I would have to change some potential plans up to make it happen but might be worth the effort. Have you surfed around PV area?

I love Hawaii but I feel like I've almost been too many times over the past few years; multiple stints to Kauai & Oahu surfing the majority of north-facing spots. Love the tropical island vibe and wave quality, but the crowds can just be insane and the island can get a bit dull after a while. Wanted to try something new that wasn't too expensive/far-away that I could score decent waves (head-high HPSB waves, doesn't have to be solid) and thought CR might fit the bill. Was maybe thinking El Salvador but seems a bit difficult/sketchy at times to get around (might be with my dad) or Nica but I haven't been convinced that the waves are actually good (and not just glorified close-out beachbreak barrels of which I have plenty of at SFOB).

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sweet, this is the kind of advice I wanted to hear! I've heard crowds can be a problem up in the north just like you noted, so definitely something to consider. I've spent a few months in Costa Rica on a study-abroad years ago, but only got to surf around Playa Hermosa which was pretty shite. Never been over to the Caribbean side and I would have to change some potential plans up to make it happen but might be worth the effort. Have you surfed around PV area?

I love Hawaii but I feel like I've almost been too many times over the past few years; multiple stints to Kauai & Oahu surfing the majority of north-facing spots. Love the tropical island vibe and wave quality, but the crowds can just be insane and the island can get a bit dull after a while. Wanted to try something new that wasn't too expensive/far-away that I could score decent waves (head-high HPSB waves, doesn't have to be solid) and thought CR might fit the bill. Was maybe thinking El Salvador but seems a bit difficult/sketchy at times to get around (might be with my dad) or Nica but I haven't been convinced that the waves are actually good (and not just glorified close-out beachbreak barrels of which I have plenty of at SFOB).
I haven't surfed Carib anywhere but the PV zone wave carries a reputation far beyond my postings. I defer to rowjimmytour 1000% on it. The only question I would have is on the score and crowd factor. How likely are head high+ tubes, and how likely is there to be a competitive vibe at a spot that sounds dangerous to burn people at?

If you found Hermosa to be walled and you weren't that impressed by it, I would not expect to find a more top to bottom wave than Hermosa at Playa Negra. Grande maybe, but Hermosa has a better reputation for consistency.

El Salvador, they say the sand is in pristine order sometime in November after the final dumps of the rainy season get groomed out. Plus there are fewer/zero tropical waves putting any ESE/E crossbump on it. But that's another place I would have very low confidence in being head high during a random week in November. And pristine conditions plus odds of smaller, less consistent SoHemi = fewer mouths get all-you-can-eat. More of an open-faced + lipsmack program vs I want overhead tubes.

Nicaragua is another SoHemi place I wouldn't count on being head high in November. I never went to Colorado or the Boom. Where I was seemed nuclear packed. The wind is good all day but the tide sure isn't, and that's true of Colorado and Boom. Where I was, the windows were the first two hours or the last two hours, and the waves (in spite of a forecast that would be cranking in Mainland Mex) were like a fun day in North Florida in terms of size/thump (**** weak). Like it was 3@14 and that's what Slopteenth Ave North Jax Beach throws like on 3@14.

I can't figure out why you want to leave Central California in November. Having scored the place on Indian Summer conditions in early December, I'd stay put. I rate Centro for ease/cost for wave-starved Floridians Memorial Day - Labor Day.

If I was over Hawaii and wanted tubes in November, I'd be looking at PV in Costa Rica, Bocas del Toro in Panama, the Canary Islands, SW France/Spain/Portugal.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I haven't surfed Carib anywhere but the PV zone wave carries a reputation far beyond my postings. I defer to rowjimmytour 1000% on it. The only question I would have is on the score and crowd factor. How likely are head high+ tubes, and how likely is there to be a competitive vibe at a spot that sounds dangerous to burn people at?

If you found Hermosa to be walled and you weren't that impressed by it, I would not expect to find a more top to bottom wave than Hermosa at Playa Negra. Grande maybe, but Hermosa has a better reputation for consistency.

El Salvador, they say the sand is in pristine order sometime in November after the final dumps of the rainy season get groomed out. Plus there are fewer/zero tropical waves putting any ESE/E crossbump on it. But that's another place I would have very low confidence in being head high during a random week in November. And pristine conditions plus odds of smaller, less consistent SoHemi = fewer mouths get all-you-can-eat. More of an open-faced + lipsmack program vs I want overhead tubes.

Nicaragua is another SoHemi place I wouldn't count on being head high in November. I never went to Colorado or the Boom. Where I was seemed nuclear packed. The wind is good all day but the tide sure isn't, and that's true of Colorado and Boom. Where I was, the windows were the first two hours or the last two hours, and the waves (in spite of a forecast that would be cranking in Mainland Mex) were like a fun day in North Florida in terms of size/thump (**** weak). Like it was 3@14 and that's what Slopteenth Ave North Jax Beach throws like on 3@14.

I can't figure out why you want to leave Central California in November. Having scored the place on Indian Summer conditions in early December, I'd stay put. I rate Centro for ease/cost for wave-starved Floridians Memorial Day - Labor Day.

If I was over Hawaii and wanted tubes in November, I'd be looking at PV in Costa Rica, Bocas del Toro in Panama, the Canary Islands, SW France/Spain/Portugal.
You can score Salsa Brava mid morning mid afternoon empty and perfect comes together in minutes just have to check it often. To the South beach break "cocles" can get good very moody depends on sand bars. Further south soft surf in ounta uva and then in park in Manzna another reef gets good.

Jan 19, 2018

Cheers mate! Thanks for all the info, sounds like you've done a quite of surf travel yourself. Appreciate the thoughts and little gems. Good to know about that entire Central America region of surf - sounds like it's best to keep expectations low (which is easy for me since SFOB has been onshore/grey/unshortboard-able for 5 months. Last I properly surfed my twin+1 "shortboard" was in Kauai in April!

The only reason I'm keen on leaving NorCal is cause I'm in my third-year of med school and it's been a busy, rough-ass year in the hospital. The only vacation I get is in November and unless the waves are absolutely perfect here (which it might actually be), it'd be nice to get away from everything here. I'm just getting restless and dreaming of better days soon.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Cheers mate! Thanks for all the info, sounds like you've done a quite of surf travel yourself. Appreciate the thoughts and little gems. Good to know about that entire Central America region of surf - sounds like it's best to keep expectations low (which is easy for me since SFOB has been onshore/grey/unshortboard-able for 5 months. Last I properly surfed my twin+1 "shortboard" was in Kauai in April!

The only reason I'm keen on leaving NorCal is cause I'm in my third-year of med school and it's been a busy, rough-ass year in the hospital. The only vacation I get is in November and unless the waves are absolutely perfect here (which it might actually be), it'd be nice to get away from everything here. I'm just getting restless and dreaming of better days soon.
Hoping OBSF gets good soon... tired of doing the 4am drive to SC

Reactions: rowjimmytour

ThaDood

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2003
Playa Zen
You guys reckon that Witches Rock and Guanacaste region in general will have decent-solid (head-high/overhead) waves in November? Thinking of going there in mid-November and have heard mixed reviews; seems like the winds might be good and might be a good time for mixed south and NW swells? I'm looking at staying primarily around the Playa Negra area (since it seems to have the best waves vs playa grande, avellanas), but I can't tell if the waves are actually good for advanced surfing or if they are mush burgers suited for the intermediate type. I only have 7 days for a surf trip this year and want to maximize good waves somewhere in warm water!
I've been to Grande at Thanksgiving to early December many times. The surf was waist to a foot overhead. Not the heaviest time of the year but I surfed every day. Try to time your trip when high tide is 05:30 to 06:00 so you can catch high tide early for offshore winds. afternoon will be 50/50 on the on or offshore. a few times I have stayed in Grande but drove to Nosara, seemed like the swell picked up better and a little bigger.....but, it was not as fast and dumpier as Grande. Cool vibe mellow longboarding.

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Never understood all the trouble and $$$ even at its bezt for a mushburger and if its adventure and less crowds why not go to witch's rock and Santa Rosa:shrug:
I must have gotten it all time and empty then. Went in 2016 with some maxed out swell other places (5ft at 15 seconds) and ollies had 7-9 foot barrels that were 100 yards long. Certainly not what I would call a mushy wavy and being from VB I do consider myself a little bit of an expert in mushy waves.... The advice we got from the boat guy was ollies was gonna be a lot easier to surf than witch's rock as at the later you might get really stuck inside.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
You’re on CA Central Coast? Man, I’d do a staycation based around swell. Nov can have some of the best waves of winter.
Edit: have been in the CC over 20 yrs

for East coast guys I’d consider Puerto Rico in Nov- less crowded, n can have much better & consistent waves than later on in the winter.
Edit: from NY, many moons ago a good Friend owned a house overlooking one of the most consistent spots in Rincon, and would take multi trips there in the winter

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I must have gotten it all time and empty then. Went in 2016 with some maxed out swell other places (5ft at 15 seconds) and ollies had 7-9 foot barrels that were 100 yards long. Certainly not what I would call a mushy wavy and being from VB I do consider myself a little bit of an expert in mushy waves.... The advice we got from the boat guy was ollies was gonna be a lot easier to surf than witch's rock as at the later you might get really stuck inside.
Another thing never understood 7'-9' and 9'-11':shrug:
Thanks surfline what happen to 6'-8' and 8'-12' barrels.
Yes ollies is long wave but so is pavones and would not consider either one down the line barrel more of a "uppers" head dip type:foreheadslap:

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Another thing never understood 7'-9' and 9'-11':shrug:
Thanks surfline what happen to 6'-8' and 8'-12' barrels.
Yes ollies is long wave but so is pavones and would not consider either one down the line barrel more of a "uppers" head dip type:foreheadslap:
You're quite consistently an uber downer, eh? Maybe discretion is an option? :shrug::foreheadslap::jamon::cheers:

• Haha

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
You're quite consistently an uber downer, eh? Maybe discretion is an option? :shrug::foreheadslap::jamon::cheers:
Sorry but I do have CR experience since '91 and been happily married to a tica for nearly 30 years and sounds to me like you miss your oampa loompa cult leader:shrug:

Last edited:

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
Sorry but I do have CR experience since '91 and been happily married to a tica for nearly 30 years and sounds to me like you miss your oampa loompa cult leader:shrug:
Ha. I have no idea what you meant by that, just unsure why shooting down others' experiences seems common.
Stoked for you that you have a Tica wife and go to CR so much. I'd love to travel there often.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Ha. I have no idea what you meant by that, just unsure why shooting down others' experiences seems common.
Stoked for you that you have a Tica wife and go to CR so much. I'd love to travel there often.
Shooting down experience:shrug:just commented on how surfline dictates wave size and uses odd wave sizes but I guess if that is downer for you then so sorry:bricks: unless you are also referring to surf skate thread then I am not sorry and still stand complete waste of money. Back to topic above someone ask barrels best found in November shoulder to head and pointed to Puerto Viejo which is the best barrel CR has to offer period:cheers:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
IS Caribbean side as blown up as pacific? My first trip was in 96 went back years later and didnt recognize the place!!
Yes as far as restaurants and hotels etc for sure but most tourist do not come for surf on Caribbean side they come to party, European, photogs etc. Total different vibe with food and language but must admit every time I go its less and less that Caribbean town I first went to and met my wife back in early 90's with 3 restaurants, couple hotels, and very slow pace. Hey santacruzin did you return to Dominical? I never made it back but figured its way blown up now since '91.

Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Would love to check it out. My #1 criteria for trips is barrels followed by lack of crowds!

Marshall islands and NZ are my next two big goals. But CR would be an easy one in the meantime.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Would love to check it out. My #1 criteria for trips is barrels followed by lack of crowds!

Marshall islands and NZ are my next two big goals. But CR would be an easy one in the meantime.
Two main spots in Puerto Viejo: salsa brava barreling reef right and short left channel short walk and cocle's beach break 1/4 mile South of town jungle trail or walk dirt road. Split peak comes from deep water hits shallow sand reef sometimes close to shore. Bring some fins for bodysurfing gets fun. South of Pt viejo is Manzanillo about 12 miles dirt road and end of road park with a reef break kinda softer brother to Salsa Brava. North to Limon is Isla Uvita a island just outside of limon port has a left that break on reef go when Pt viejo is maxing out.