Older northeast guys, what are you riding in solid winter surf?

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Curious what people ride in solid winter surf in a 5/4 boots/gloves/hood. Despite having lived on the east coast forever I've never really gotten my mid winter board dialed. I've finally stopped riding my undersized shortboards but am really wanting something with more foam that still fits the kinda waves we get. Rode my egg a lot last winter but it stops working when it gets too steep. Will probably grab my Ghost when this blizzard settles down but really need something that better accounts for all the rubber, age and slowness that winter brings. Kind of an alt step up sort of thing.

Reactions: ehiunno

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
seems dif boar w/more volume helps me w/ michelin man outfit.

when the 3/2 wettie returns those boars stay in basement.....til the next time.

:ban:

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Yeah that Sniper looks really good. The trick with where I surf is keeping it a little shorter than what you would for an open water kinda wave as it's pretty tight beach break but a 6'2 or 6'4 Sniper I bet would work or a F-Rocket around same size.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
If there's a bit of size, don't be afraid to go a little longer.

My DS is 6'10, and I surfed it at a local slab yesterday. Only shoulder high, and very, very quick, but I still managed to get my ancient arse in there despite length and fat rails.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Curious what people ride in solid winter surf in a 5/4 boots/gloves/hood. Despite having lived on the east coast forever I've never really gotten my mid winter board dialed. I've finally stopped riding my undersized shortboards but am really wanting something with more foam that still fits the kinda waves we get. Rode my egg a lot last winter but it stops working when it gets too steep. Will probably grab my Ghost when this blizzard settles down but really need something that better accounts for all the rubber, age and slowness that winter brings. Kind of an alt step up sort of thing.
Get a version of the Chem Zen from Chemistry.
Ask Gleason. Stop by Bare Wires

Last edited:
Reactions: need 4 speed

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Only problem with adding volume or going with some kind of fun gun is duckdiving. Just picked up a 6'0 ghost worked well last swell, will see what happens tommorrow.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
As far as altboards go, I always liked the look of the Lovelace Tubeshoot / Trimcraft Burner. There is a dude around my way that rides a shorter one and kills it in our winter surf. Granted, the waves are never very substantial round these parts. I also like the look of the shorter Honey Badgers. Seen a 6'4" that looked like it would be great for east coast tubes.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Why take all these nice boards out at El Slammo, even if you're old? They are going to get smashed on the rocks!

Hateful retard!

1612282227679.png

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ciscojaws

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Nice DS Maz.

View attachment 104563

Scored a used 6’3 for a steal a few months back. Absolute paddle beast and slays any chop.
Yes on both counts. Never had a better board for chop. (Nice Shark Eyes. Hope they work!)

Btw, I've got a short DS on the way (by ship to NZ): 6'4 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/4

Last edited:
Reactions: Toobz