Old Man Groveler

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Everyone seems to love puddlejumpers. They do a few “stretched out” variations like the HPPJ if you wanted some length.
If it's straight up logmush I'd go Bean Bag. Otherwise one of these would be my pick. It's not going to glide in like a longer board but if there's any opening and any hint of curve sink the board into the approaching bump then rip off a few quick paddles and she'll get right going and the acceleration is outstanding if you've got something to pump off of.

i can relate on all counts. if im wanting to keep it short(er than a mid) i grab a 6-0 quadfish dbl bump, single to spiral v
This general suggestion. Short, wide, flat, quad (or twin), bottom that's good at generating speed.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I hear you, J, but I'm not explosive fit, more like a diesel locomotive that can just paddle forever. It is, however, probably good for me to go shorter but keep some volume, maybe a beefed up version of my 5'10 Nugget
@Maz if you want to go shorter but beef up volume and you like your Nugget, I'd go with a White Tiger. Rocker is really flat on that one and there's pronounced double concave off the tail.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
If its junky short waves than something like a Lost bean bag with split keels is a good option. Aipa Con fish, PJ, and Gremlin are a few others that have worked well for me as grovelers. I like wide tails to get that initial sling shot out the gates

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Elaborating on my recomendation

My friend rides a couple of mega fishes. Hes a bigger guy and more of a big board charger than a nimble footed shortboarder.
He would never enjoy riding one of my tiny grovelers but has a blast on his long fishes.
Get in early and glide, make sections and turns better than his single fins

I have seen him ride them in all kinds of conditions too. Weak points to dumping beachbreaks.

Reactions: mundus

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Only a longboard will get going in that mush.

Best board I ever rode for absolute junk/mush with no shape was a (maybe) 7'0 Local Motion shaped by Tony Cerff- probably off a windsurfing blank- wide square tail, 4 channels, semi-gun nose, single fin.
Probably made in the early 80's.

Thing trimmed out like a motherfcuker on the weakest piece of mush and was surprisingly loose off the outline curve.

Are we talking waves too weak to pump for speed on?

What sort of surfing do you want to do on it?
Not longboard mush, but fast, soft little peaks popping up quickly, then dying out. Very short pockets of power. Young man's game. Fast twitch surfing.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Surfed with a lady on a DHD Mini Twin 2 yesterday, and she was flying on that thing. Anybody have first/second hand experience with them? (Mini Twins, not ladies.)

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018
had a mini twin 2. the shorter fatter version. in knee to chest high soft but shapely waves it was a beautiful thing.
"she was flying on that thing"
usually when you are smitten by a lady time slows down not up - at least in the movies.

• Love
Reactions: Maz

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Old and married and very monogamous. Sorry.

She was a good surfer, though.

Jun 21, 2021
Old man groveler: Firewire Dan Mann Sweet Potato II 5'4

Me: 50y, 5'11, 172 lbs
I use the sweet potato II for the smallest days.
Way better board than expected.

Have used in the past for these conditions
- Lost Bean Bag > I do prefer the tail of the sweet potato II compared to the Bean Bag
- Lost Puddle Jumper > less low end performance compared to sweet potato II
- Lost puddle fish > had no click with it, sold it.

When swell picks up/gets a bit more punchy I use these grovelers:
- Sharpeye disco cheater XTR10 (love this one)
- Hydrodynamica GMMII XTR 8C

Last edited:

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
If its junky short waves than something like a Lost bean bag with split keels is a good option. Aipa Con fish, PJ, and Gremlin are a few others that have worked well for me as grovelers. I like wide tails to get that initial sling shot out the gates
That is a good call. I have an old Lost Lazy Boy (5’8) that blasts anything from knee high up to slopey OH waves. Great in steep waves in the waist to shoulder range. I am 60 and 5’11 180lbs