Old Guy Step Up

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
OK, so I'm getting old.

I'm 48, I've been riding a 5'6 x 19 3/4 x 2 3/8 28 liter Hypto for last few years (which I love) but on days like the recent swell we've been getting where it's big, windy and barreling (6-8' 20mph off shore, shallow beach break), I need something bigger. Craig Anderson can do it at Kandui, but apparently I can't on Long Island. Want to get in earlier and have some more paddle power without adding a ton of thickness.

I got a 5'10 x 19 1/2 x 2 3/8 29 liter Super PigDog off a friend which would seem like the perfect alt board step up, short, wide thick with a pulled in pin. But in actuality, the tail is a little too pulled in and it's kinda stiff and linear. I also have an old 6'8 x 18 3/4 x 2 1/4 Aloha rounded pin from the late (or maybe mid 90s) with rocker to match. I pull out once every few years and today was one of those days. Was great for getting in to waves but really a 6'8 feels way too big.

So what do you guys think? One thought was a standard 6'1-6'3 thruster, maybe a little wider than normal. Either a round tail or rounded squash, not too narrow.

Or is there anything people are using that's more alternative-y that I should consider. Basically when it's big and gnarly here, I need some more length and paddle power but not necessarily more foam.

Also there are no local shapers that I want to deal with so I'm gonna buy some big brand off the rack. There are Losts, Pyzel, Firewires, Roberts and JS's around (and Merricks but I'm not a fan). Could order a custom but my history with customs sucks and I'd rather pick something up and fondle it before I buy. Been burned by customs too many times.

Open to suggestions/thoughts/ideas.

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
The best paddling board I've had has been my Pyzel Ghost. It paddles exceptionally well and doesn't feel big when surfing. It knifes into faces and holds on rail great. Foiled rails and foam under chest. Love that board. I sized mine up as a step up 6 inches above my height and feels great on the bigger days (i'm 5'9" and use a 6'3"). I've used it alot at OB SF and surf trips.

retodd

Duke status
Feb 23, 2009
I know u are not wanting to go custom but....
I bet Ando would get u dialed

Board on left is an epic step up . M18

Would be a seamless transfer from Jypto

New spinetck with heavy option would be bomb proof too

I love it cause it has mild vee entry so it slips right into anything . No chatter . Round tail still has drive but it's not so pinny that it has no resistance

Also has nice foiled railsbottoms.jpg

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Pigdog is a good board but it's definitely a purpose built toob shooter so it's a bit stiff for all purpose use. Running mine as a quad loosened it up a bit.

Ghost is much more of an all rounder for good waves and can be sized so it's not super long. I think the Rusty Blackbird is hard to beat as well and even though it's a little more of a traditional step up it's far from the old school 90's paper thin banana rocker boards.

My buddy who rides a Hypto uses a Lost Round Up as his step up...

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Might try the PigDog as a quad and see how that goes.

I checked out a Ghost today and it looks pretty right on. Was looking at a 6'0 x 19 3/8 x 2 9/16 which feels about right. Going much bigger seems like they get a little bulky and thick. The Pro version has thinner rails so I could go longer but the guy in the shop thought going shorter and thicker with the standard was better than going longer and thinner with the pro for our waves. Pro geared toward more Hawaii and south pacific reefs.

How do you guys size them?

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I haven't been on any of the pro dim models. I can get into waves pretty early with my 6'3" though and still turn it like my smaller boards. I like to run smaller fin sets as larger/stiffer fins just make it to stiff to play around on the face. I like going an extra 5 or 6 inches on my step ups but every bodies different. Gives me extra paddling power to get in early and not feel under gunned. If you are currently on a 5'6" than I think a 6' sounds perfect for a step up and volume would be similar to what you been riding. I think you would be stoked on the board. It seems to work for alot of people.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I know u are not wanting to go custom but....
I bet Ando would get u dialed

Board on left is an epic step up . M18

Would be a seamless transfer from Jypto

New spinetck with heavy option would be bomb proof too

I love it cause it has mild vee entry so it slips right into anything . No chatter . Round tail still has drive but it's not so pinny that it has no resistance

Also has nice foiled railsView attachment 81449
is that ur stapler too?

May 10, 2018
Might try the PigDog as a quad and see how that goes.

I checked out a Ghost today and it looks pretty right on. Was looking at a 6'0 x 19 3/8 x 2 9/16 which feels about right. Going much bigger seems like they get a little bulky and thick. The Pro version has thinner rails so I could go longer but the guy in the shop thought going shorter and thicker with the standard was better than going longer and thinner with the pro for our waves. Pro geared toward more Hawaii and south pacific reefs.

How do you guys size them?
I’ve got the 6’0 Ghost, same dims as the one you mentioned. Use it as a step up from my 5’9 and 5’11 boards. Like you I found the longer sizes too chunky so went with the 6’0 stock. I’m 5’11 and 80kg

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
@rgruber did you pick something up? I'm in the same boat after our recent swells. I normally ride a 5'6" FW dominator at 170lbs and need something for the really good days.

smithgrind

Nep status
Dec 25, 2009
PNW
I went with a custom Ghost for my step up. Stock dims are too bulky for my size and I wanted some length
for more paddle ease but wanted to keep the volume down. That 6' sounds great given your DD is a hypto. Board
is so solid in pumping swell and paddles like a dream. 5 fin option highly recommended.

Reactions: trifish and Aruka